1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 6950 overheating and driver crashing

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by SilenceFiction, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SilenceFiction New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, good evening. There is a problem I am having some time now and I can't seem to solve it by myself. So I am asking for your help guys.
    Whenever I play some games (doesn't happen in all of them) like Sniper Elite, Watch Dogs, etc.. after some time playing my game suddenly freeze, and after a couple of seconds I see a static screen (like an old TV unplugged) and then I find myself at the desktop, it minimizes the game and there is a pop up "AMD Display driver has stopped responding". After I try to re-enter the minimized game I see only the desktop but I can hear the sound of the game running. (Except for Watch Dogs, when it happens in Watch Dogs the game just exits).

Now I set the fan speed to 86% and it still happens. I noticed it happens only when the temp of the GPU goes beyond 90C.

My spec:
    Sapphire AMD 6950 Reference version (Modded to 6970)
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Intel DZ68DB
    SeaSonic 620W

Thank you in advance guys.
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    temps exceeding 90C @ 80% fan mean its time to pull the card disassemble it and apply new thermal paste and fresh thermal pads on the memory and VRM chips

unlocking carry's a heavy stability and temp penalty it doesn't work on every-card they are binned for a reason
    SilenceFiction says thanks.
  3. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JCFLY/?tag=tec06d-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004230RPY/?tag=tec06d-20
    and it will be right as rain
    1. unscrew the cooler from the back of the card being careful not to slip and knock parts off the back
    2.remove the old thermal past and pads using either a soft toothbrush soft rag soaked with rubbing alcohol or plain nail polish remover (try the rubbing alcohol first)
    3. put a grain of rice sized dab of paste in the center of the gpu core and then cut and fit replacement pads you can stack them if you need to
    4. screw it all back to together tightening the screws to just snug in a X type pattern
    5. enjoy a gpu that won't fry eggs and doesn't sound like a 747 at take off
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    SilenceFiction says thanks.
  4. SilenceFiction New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you.
    I will try this soon.
  5. SilenceFiction New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update:
    I did took my PC apart and removed all the dust from it. The temps dropped significantly. I guess I just have to do it every once in a while.

Thank you.