1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 790FX running a GTX295

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by bboy-mass, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bboy-mass New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

I've been laughed at today (on another site) for buying a 790FX MOBO and running a NVIDIA GTX295:laugh:

Thing is, I rather like the old ATI cards of late and don't intend moving to INTEL i7 because of the cost, so.........................

I was thinking of moving ffrom the Green side and being totally RED.:)

My systems great at the moment (bare some temp readings - new BIOS 1001 should solve this), but I do fancy having everything the same i.e. AMD MOBO,CPU,GPU with a BIG RED DRAGON on the side of my CoolerMaster HAF.:laugh:

What do you think? Stick with the GTX295 and pretend I have 2x4890 or should i swap my 295 for 4870x2 ????

Anyone done the same and regretted it ???:twitch:

Thanks for reading,
  2. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who cares what those other fools thing! If you like your system where it's at, keep it. Don't succumb to peer pressure. Those guys are probably just jealous.
  3. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    i would feel better if i had ati/amd together rather than amd/nvidia, but if it works fine, keep it :)
  4. bboy-mass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know dude.

I was just wondering thats all.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG, burn your computer and cleanse the demons! How dare you put "X" whatever with "X" whatever!!!:slap: All in all I must say this thread makes me ----->:shadedshu
  6. bboy-mass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm lost erocker:confused::confused:

What do you mean by "X" ????

R.
  7. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    X = Brand.

These are standard components. Next time they say something that stupid tell them to tongue your s@ck.

BTW AMD's color is green, not red. So technically you're all green now :cool:.
  8. bboy-mass New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohhhhhhh, you see its been some time ince my last ATI card (sorry AMD).LOL

Yes, I know they are talking crap, but I like things to match.LOL

from the prices, id be better off staying put with my GTX295.

Running nice today anyway, will reload Crysis later and run some beches.
  9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    All of your components do match. The tabs fit in the slots and use all the same connections as any other hardware. Brand doesn't matter. The GTX 295 is the fastest card available. Keep it.
    phanbuey says thanks.
  10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, unless you're getting dual 4890's, you will be downgrading - and your rig will be louder.

Don't fall prey to marketing b*llshit. OooOh amd "spider" or "dragon" or whatever animal they next setup. Garbage.

IMO what you have now is ideal, GTX295 = kIller card, and Phenom II? yes? = killer gaming proc. Pick the best parts, and you will have the best rig.
  11. Nukki

Nukki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything wrong w/ having a 790fx and a gtx295?

No, right? I guess it is just exactly that marketing bull, right?
  12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I would still take the GTX 295 over dual 4890's. Single card, compatable with more applications, and uses less power.
  13. bboy-mass New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok i promise to keep the gtx. Lol

your right its easy to get sucked in. I guess im a marketers dream. Lol

i must admit though, i was expexting the 790fx to use the 940be cpu better than my old m3n-ht board. Guesz i was sucked in again.

I like overdrive though.
  14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Dont see why anyone would laugh, going beyond 2 GPU's is pointless except for benching. Plus the fact that you already got a $500 videocard setup, why exactly would you need to add more to that, those people sound like fools to me.

Is it really more compatible? I never have run an SLI setup, but my 4870x2 seems to have the same compatibility as my old 2x 3870's setup, wouldn't imagine it would be any diff then that as certain games just cant use multiple GPU's.
  15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I stand by what I say. More games can utilize a single card (regardless of GPU's) than a dual card setup. From what I've seen a GTX 295 has better compatibility than their dual GPU ATi counterparts. Regardless, I'm not getting into this lame argument since any of the cards can run any application to begin with.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  16. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Here is the very short list of stuff you will lose. I know because I have a GTX 260 on a AMD 790GX board.

SLI: This is proprietary and Nvidia is not sharing with AMD/ATI.

Temp monitoring in AMD Overdrive: Not sure why, but it just doesn't report temp here. I am sure some other app will tell you the temp.

That is it. So stick with what you got. No need to buy two new cards. You can use that money for something else. Buy a Blu-ray burner, 4 GB more ram, something.

No sure the second is true. It would depend on the 2 cards you are using. Plus, while this is possibly very true while gaming, it is not true will just browsing the net, posting on this forum, etc. This is because the second card will basically shut off while you are not gaming, unless for some reason you really, really need to run your desktop at eleventy bagillion FPS.
  18. Bull Dog

Thanks Received:
    You smoking weed or something? A GTX295 is little more than two GTX275's in SLI. Games won't really see any difference between the two.

Same as a 4870X2 is little more than 2x 1GB 4870s in Crossfire.
  19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    No I'm sober. I was comparing CrossFire to a GTX 295. Do any of you people understand the difference between using a single card and two cards? Either way whatever. :laugh:
  20. Bull Dog

Thanks Received:
    Yes single card, two GPUs, higher density of components on the PCB(s), more performance/square unit of measurement. Still functions like two separate cards in SLI/Crossfire (give or take up to 5%).
    erocker says thanks.
  21. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    keep it. I am running Nvidia and AMD/ATI chipset (only a 8800GT but still Nvidia) If everything is working fine for you then tell them to suck your...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Ok. From what I know, the GTX 295 has better compatability with more applications than any CrossFire setup. This has to do with driver compatability. Seen it, done it, know it. Can you send me some weed? I'm out. :( Either way getting back on topic, it's utterly useless to bother switching his GTX 295 to anything else, unless the applications he is using favor ATi.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I think you misunderstood me, I'm not trying to start any argument, here. As I said I have never ran a SLI setup, so I wasn't sure if it was any different. Just was saying from my experiences there was no diff between 2 cards and 1 card with 2 GPU's as it was both considered CF either way.
  24. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Aye, quite right! :toast: The heat is getting to me it's a beautiful 105F in my shop right now, those little beers in the "toast" smiley look extremely tempting.
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't do anything. I've been running NVIDIA GPUs on AMD chipsets for ~two years now. NVIDIA GPUs have no compatibility issues with any particular make of chipset.