1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amd 940be

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Bluefox1115, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Read anadatechs review, or Hard OCP on the 45nm Phenom. IF you were upgrading a AM2+ board the P II makes sense...but for a new build, and at that expense, the clear winner is Intel. Im not a fan boy, I prefer the faster product. For that amount of cash I would completely overlook AMD and go straight for the Q9xxx or the i7.

Also from the reviews I have seen..SLI GTX280 are faster then 1 GTX295. You are able to feed 2 PCIe slots at once vs trying to do everything over one slot...

Also why is this in General Nonsense...seems like a valid thread for General Hardware or something.
    Bluefox1115 says thanks.
  2. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    How am I acting like a victim? lol. yes Intel is a faster product, but at some expense. I honestly thought of the 9550, and turned my head away a few times because of the prices on Intel boards, and DDR3. Again, this is back down to preference as well.. I'm looking to build something within the next month or two. I have a case, psu, and cooler all ready to go. SLI GTX280's would be my primary choice of graphics. I prefer Asus and DFI boards. I orgininally thought this would be a discussion on thoughts of the new PII.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    2 GTX280s is the better choice for performance. GTX280s are clocked higher and each have their own PCIe...so I agree with that 100% for a pure performance purchase...What I dont understand is if you are looking for a pure performance rig...why go AMD when as you agreed the intel cpu is clearly the better performer? Even if you went with a Q9xxx and DDR2 its still the faster solution, and not a lot more money. If you wait 3 months like you said I would imagine intel will have dropped prices a lot on the Q9xx chips. IF that happens thent here should be no question which path to take.

DFI is awesome. I highly recommend them.
    Bluefox1115 says thanks.
  4. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running 1920x1080 and I can't run Fallout 3 or similar spec'd games comfortably on any more than 4x AA.

I have 640MB memory on my card.

I'd recommend a bigger card.

Also I recommend AMD, stable, great customer support, great, efficient chips. For my next build I'm going back to them, and I'm NEVER using Nvidia again after the garbage drivers and all the general issues with my card.

The more people who buy AMD, the cheaper Intel prices will go to compete. Recommend AMD if you like Intel!
    Bluefox1115 says thanks.
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I'll :roll::laugh: with you :D

As for the funny notion that the old style GTX280 SLI > GTX295... sure look at the reviews, or you could just look at the success the guys on our forums are having with overclocked 295s @ 680 core clocks and higher. Hmmm funny thing is... There's a guy with a 295 who matched all of my graphics test scores from when I had SLI 280. :laugh:

So why did SLI 280 do better than the 295 in reviews? Simple! The 280s start 51MHz faster on the core. This fact explains the higher results. I want you guys to tell more people who've owned the tech that they have no idea what they're talking about.

The worst part about 280 SLI is LIMITED gaming. You can only play so long before the card on the bottom overheats. Enjoy your P II and 280 SLI :D
  6. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    That's quite the attempt at bashing, but you're just coming across as an ass to me. :shadedshu The GTX280's also OC, they are not just bricks that you can stack in. :confused: I never said I was interested in benchmark scores, merely FPS and the ability to do F@H on 2 cards at once in one system. I don't know which GTX280 cards you "had", but I've never heard of the bottom card overheating while gaming? I've never had a problem with SLI'ed cards overheating, I guess that's what the fan controls are for? Unless you failed to set the SLI "profile type"? AFR1/2,etc., and just left it to render on 1 card. And I never said I was purchasing all this stuff tonight, I was merely asking opinions of the setup, and you turn around with insults, gestures, and bashing of PII's for no reason? :confused: :shadedshu
  7. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    You have the old 8800GTS G90 640MB? I had a 320MB, and upgrading to an 8800GTX was like night and day.
  8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    What makes you think I'm not talking about gaming benchmarks? I owned 2x EVGA GTX280 SC. I have screens of it all over these forums. My fans were at 100% and at the overclock card one would be sitting pretty at 55C while card 2 could get as high as 77C which causes problems and crashes with the 280s. There is no breathing room between the cards. I did not insult you. Stop trying to be a victim.
  9. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    When have I tried to be a victim? a victim of what? your insanity? From where I'm sitting, theres plenty of room for 2 dual slot cards to breathe nicely, maybe you have poor airflow in your case? and yes, 77celcius would make any system lock up and crash. and stop trying to be a smartass, it's not really working for you tonight.
  10. Binge

Thanks Received:
    What are you going to put it in slot 1 and slot 3? That will cause problems :-/

Anyway I have GREAT airflow :D thanks for wondering. Why do you still think I'm
    being a smartass? I also never said my system would entirely lock up and crash.
    Applications would crash & benchmarks would not finish. Crysis would lag.

You're a nice man :roll:
  11. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to wait until the next series of ATI cards comes out before I even remotely think of upgrading again.
  12. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Phenom II is generally on par with most Q9*** series of processors.
    SLI GTX 280 is not "always" better:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx295_full/5.htm

As you can see from the graphs, a GTX 280 SI set up usually gets away with 1-3FPS differnce or goes under 1-3 FPS. GTX 280 SLI can range from 700-800 while the gTX 295 is $480-500
  13. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, nvidia has some good drivers now, not like before when the high end 8 series first came out. I would say grab a 9800GTX+ and call it a day. they can be had for about $170 now, plus a $20 or $30MIR.. The physics drivers and display drivers work great for me on my 8800GTX..
  14. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    Look I can't stand fudeing and arguing. Peace, or no peace? P.S. This is not Independance Day. lol :p