1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD A10-5800K APU for Socket FM2

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Sep 15, 2012.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    hey man if you scroll down on this page http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3927#ov

you see this

Multi-display support with AMD CrossFireX
    Flexible graphics capabilities - Up to 2 VGA cards are supported for 2 way AMD CrossFireX™ (running at x8, x8 bandwidth), delivering the ultimate in graphics performance for gaming enthusiasts who demand the highest frame rates without compromising on resolution.

but ya Crossfire only works with 2 cards, Dual Graphics You might Consider what they used to call Hybrid Crossfire.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4343#ov

that board supports even balanced crossfire in FM2 package
    cadaveca says thanks.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    NO mention of Crossfire on the box, no Crossfire logo.

I'll have to check that out then.

As to Crossfire on FM2, I have tested, and it works OK, but there is a definite performance loss with the APU's lack of L3.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    is it specified in the manual?
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope. There is teh setup for dual graphics, with pics, etc, but no Crossfire info.
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i just read the manual on Crossfire setup for the one board out of the FM2 lineup for Gigabyte that supports 8x8 crossfire

its on page 20 of the english manual for this board

GA-F2A85X-UP4

most of the other boards support only 16x4. there is 1 that only supports dual graphics
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'll have a review of that one next week. I used one for this review too. ;)
  7. ThaSpacePope New Member

Thanks Received:

Okay, so just to be clear - when you said CrossfireX you meant crossfiring 2 discrete video cards?

And by dual graphics - "crossfire" with apu & one discrete card = old hybrid graphics?

I just purchased an a75 board from newegg yesterday, item already shipped but I read your article after purchase. I am hoping to get crossfire with the 7660d apu and a single 6670 ddr3. Is that possible (seems it is?) on an a75 board? What about an a75 board?
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Yes Crossfire X is with 2 discrete GPUs

Dual graphics is like Hybrid Crossfire (IGP/APU and a discrete GPU)
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Dual Graphics on A75, using 6670 and A10 chips, works just fine.

Honestly, I don't really care too much. If I get sent an A75 board for review, I'll take a closer look, and I know Crossfire works with FM2, since I've done it myself. I don't care too much about FM1 right now(which is what I was tlaking about in my other posts, just so we are clear).
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i did find something interesting for graphics configuration in UEFI in the manual found on page 52, even when it pertains to setting aside system memory for the APU graphics.

just trying to help out dude.
  11. ThaSpacePope New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks fellas! the uATX board I purchased only has one pcie slot anyway so no hope for crossfire with discrete cards.

All told cost was $180ish for 5800k, a75 chipset asrock mobo and 8gb 1600mhz ram after cashback. Not too shabby!
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  12. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking at getting an A10-5800K and coupling it with Sapphire's Pure Platinum Socket FM2, from the various reviews I have read, it seems currently to be pretty much the best overclocker...............

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...gid=1181&sgid=1182&pid=1477&psn=&lid=1&leg=0#

On checking out the manual in the download section it clearly states it support Crossfire AND dual graphics (at a guess what we know as Hybrid using the APU and a further card), surely that would be a chipset capability and therefore at least apply to all A85XT boards?

What I don't know is what cards you could use in dual graphics mode with the onboard.... was kind of hoping I could double the APU up with a 7870!
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    All of this is covered in the review. ;) Well, except what the boards form differnt OEMs offer...that's incoming! ;)
    Tatty_One says thanks.
  14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    same as lano afaik ie 6670/ 7670,, a 7870 would prob be held back by the apu's gfx's but i dont think they are xfire able anyway, i think the mobo means you can run two descretes in crossfire or one discrete plus apu in hybrid crossfire, i built a top end lano 3870k + 6670 combo for a cousin not long ago , id quite happily have kept it too as it was good for gameing(light-med some high settings) and quite frankly performed well all round ,day to day use.:toast:

skim reading again ,sos dave :)
    Tatty_One says thanks.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    not knocking you but i provided from the board makers mouths pretty much what supported crossfire or dual graphics or both or none
  16. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad about your new rig but you totaly misunderstood Hybrid CFX and performance gains youd get with H-CFX=="Graphics On Demand". When you OC your APU youd probably get almost same results as with H-CFX APU(HD7660D) + discrete (HD6670). And i'm poiting that it's cheaper performance wise to buy a new HD7770 that to invest ins some obsolete product and pairing them to get HybridCFX . But you can try and prove me wrong.

I dont know where you can buy HD6570 for 30USSD but where i live HD6570 is 60€ and HD6770 is 80€ and thats way pricier than you mention. I dont know where you're buying your HW but 225$ here isnt good enough for A10-5800K and 8GB of dirty cheap DDR3-1600 and MOBO+ discrete GPU doubles that cost you mentionedˇ~450USD but if i go to HD7770 over HD6670 (renamed to HD7670) i'll add only 30USD to overall price.
  17. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    I highly appreciate your article and work you done. But your words "NO mention of Crossfire on the box, no Crossfire logo." makes me wondering about myself and what kind of people wrote those articles these days :eek:

But hey I'm not bossy know it all person (BKIAP) and i undestand that humanum est errare and that we all lack of time. And its great to admit that ... just dude don't do that in such fashion :D

Yep this board itself supports Crossfire because every MR.APU from AMD (Llano, Trinity ...) allows that their PCIE x16 2.0 links could be split into two PCIE x8 2.0 links. It's inside APU chip guys not inside chipset. Thou chipset must be compatible to know to use that feature.

And i personally dislike this "Performance Loss because lacking of L3 cache" conclusions. If you know BD architecture you know that its cache is already a weak spot so aKsk to additionally burden this small chip with under performing L3 cache in conclusion it would benefit GPUs performance is just silly. Only thing GPU could benefit is some "SidePort link" incarnation as 64b GDDR5 IMC along with 1GB GDDR5 on APU SoC design. But we cant expect that for measly 120USD. Yet (maybe in 2014)