1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Dell sign huge chip deal

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD will be shipping a massive amount of chips to Dell to use in a full range of AMD based desktops, notebooks, workstations with a clear marketing focus on student notebooks for an initial Back-To-School line-up. The computers will be advertised as "Windows Vista Premium Ready", and the graphics will most likely come from the green camp - NVIDIA.

Source: TheINQ

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So for years AMD have been better than Intel and Dell have refused to sell them... and now Conroe is about to come out and is likely to change it they do switch to AMD. :confused:

I guess it's good new for AMD, and if they've got something hidden up their sleeves, Dell as well.

3. oldschool New Member

Thanks Received:
    Conroe won't last long. Also don't believe everything you read about strange "bedfellows" and signed contracts...

4. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah AMD will come out on top, i think they might not be focusing to much on ddr2 as they are on ddr3... :) or maybe im just thinking for the best again... :(

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If AMD has the same techniques as Intel for gaining the performance crown, we've got a good year until AMD has ANYTHING interesting to show us :laugh:. I'm glad that AMD will be getting the sales from the new Dells, and with any luck I'll get to talk my Dad into getting a new AMD-flavored Dell laptop. Though, I doubt that with the advent of Conroe AMD will make it onto the XPS series lol...they will probably make perfect sub-$1000 desktops due to low power usage and extreme efficiency.

6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD will be getting a 50% improvement per clock with its transition to 65 nm Rev. G chips in Q4. AMD is now in the position Intel tries to be, the cheapest supplier of reliable chips. Dell couldnt resist forvever.

7. Rodster New Member

Thanks Received:
    An earlier article from the same website indicates that Dell was put off regarding the Intel/Apple deal. The article mentioned that Apple got a very sweet deal from Intel, while Dell is Intel's biggest customer.

So Dell has decided to send a message to Intel they can find another supplier. All this is speculation of course. I'm personally holding off on my business purchase to see what these new Dell/AMD notebooks look like.:cool:

8. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oooooh I cant wait to see a Dell commercial that ends with "Dell PC's are powered by AMD Athlon 64 processors" :D

9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    The AMD A64 processors will be bottlenecked by the turd motherboards Dell uses :p.

10. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    YEAH NO MORE, "ITS A DELL BLUM BLA BLUM BLA(the intel diddle)" whats amd's diddle, do they have a diddle... ive never even seen a amd comercial..

dell still sucks and has no customer support... after the alienware merge my friend had a alienware notebook with a 6800go card... card is dieing, blue screens after a few hours of play... cant install new drivers either... aliendell wont replace it, he even paid for the extra warrenty, but that money didnt go to dell:shadedshu so they wont do anything.. damn dell

11. basblplayr New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh my god, it's the first sign of the apocalypse, next will be hilary clinton as president, then the end of existence.

12. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    yEah...no. Ive never seen an amd commercial too, im curious to see it... lol.. man what a supprise.

13. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Might rip of the ads from Apple - "What's an AMD doing in a Dell? Well not much because their motherboards are a pile of sh*t!"

14. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im kinda excited i can wait to see the first commercial...if this actually goes down

15. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Intel HAD to give apple a sweet deal...

Otherwise AMD surely would have.. and there are a lot of Admins that use macs.. ;)

most people now recognize an ipod... now they'll also see intel at apple stores. Darn fine move, because I'm sure they knew about dell starting to carry AMD stuff.

16. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and if amd signed the deal with apple i would have convinced my dad to get a mac!

but he still didnt listent o me and he bought a dell:shadedshu

17. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

18. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know!! he thought that if i made him a computer it wouldnt be as reliable:wtf: (cuz im alsways messsing with mine but its not cuz its broke)

but im going to laugh 6 months from now when its falling apart

19. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't you just hate that. When your own parent(s) think you are below Dell. *shudders*

Just read this article, Here , should remove any doubt about Dell.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  20. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Note to self- never buy a Dell laptop, even though Dell laptops are very good deals. HP, Gateway, Toshiba, and others may be more expensive, but they're worth it. It's too bad you can't build your own laptop...or can you?

21. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wish your could build your own laptop i would if i could... i dont know were to buy the parts tho

yes and when i was put below dell, it made me sad... especialy when my computer kicks the living crap outa his and was $600+ less