• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Intel Announce Settlement of All Antitrust and IP Disputes

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm sure Intel is accepting donations from those who are afraid they have become poverty stricken. Email them or give them a call. Cheer them up!

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'd prepared a longer post than this, but in an attempt to save a flame war and infractions:

You guys need to stop saying 'pocket money' or 'this is nothing to intel', especially the ones recommending economy classes to other members. The EU fine and this payout here represent roughly 43% of Intel's year to date income. Paid out in a 2 month time span. I can guarantee you their accountants are looking for slack in their budget right now.

Now yes, this is their income that's taking a hit, so its over and above their regular operating expenses. However 'Income' doesn't translate into 'money straight into the bank'. A company's profits are used to fund expansions and asset aquisition, more R&D, expanding their work force, extraneous expenditures (fines lol) and many other things. I can also bet you that Intel has a team of monkeys that sit down and earmark this money for uses months in advance. What happens when 43% of their funding pool suddenly gets paid out?

Now this won't sink Intel, but I can guarantee you they felt it.

dont subtley take jabs at me by taking my words out of context. I never said pocket money as in a small amount. it was stated to mean governments pockets as in their bank accounts

System Name inferKNIGHT
Processor Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard MSI Z97i Gaming AC
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (R/G)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 3.5GB (+0.5GB? o.O)
Storage 1 x 256GB Cricial M550, 1 x 2TB Samsung 7200.12
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1.1 pro x64
Man how blind are you this is not a win win for any one of us ! Yes maybe Intel and AMD but for the consumer ? For the person that buys the product ? No you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !
And NO YOU are wrong NO one was found guilty they just settled out of court . And NO this is far from the end of story And once them prices stop falling and go the other way maybe then you will see through that AMD green haze you are in . Intel was wrong and they knew yes maybe so I do not care what I care about is how this is all going to play out on the pocket books of the consumer and so far it is not looking all that good .
When the government looses money what do they do ? Raise taxes , what does the oil industry do when they need BILLIONS ???? They raise the price of fuel !! You will see . :twitch:
You can save all the money you perceive Intel will be robbing you of, by just going to your local store/estore and investing in an excellent new AMD processor and system.;)
Come on, you know you wanna, and guess what? My processor's max rated temp is only 62degrees Celcius, nice and cool for you.:cool:

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
dont subtley take jabs at me by taking my words out of context. I never said pocket money as in a small amount. it was stated to mean governments pockets as in their bank accounts

I guess I can't avoid confrontation if people are looking for it. As far as I can see you never said pocket money, and I'm not sure I understand your explanation.

However your claim that Trickson should take economy classes when I've just provided a detailed reason of why Intel will feel the hit, as Trickson claimed, was the reason for my rebuttal of your statement. There was no subtle jab there.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Well taking a huge 1.25 Billion dollar hit is going to hit us just as hard . Maybe not in prices but I can tell you this R&D , work force and new fab plants are going to be looked at with discretion . Heck Intel may have a harder time getting out faster better products to you the consumer . we may have a hard time if Intel has no funds for R&D or new fab plants then I am sorry but we will suffer . Less new tech .
AMD is looking great yes but tell me what advantage is this to us ?
I see this a huge loss for every one . But then again what do I know ? Less cash to work with means less fabrication and less R&D for Intel this is a big loss and AMD will I hope take advantage of this . Maybe they will have the dozer out and you can get one for $1,000.00 Just like they were doing with the Athlon X64 CPU's remember how they were pricing them bad boys out at ?

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I guess I can't avoid confrontation if people are looking for it. As far as I can see you never said pocket money, and I'm not sure I understand your explanation.

However your claim that Trickson should take economy classes when I've just provided a detailed reason of why Intel will feel the hit, as Trickson claimed, was the reason for my rebuttal of your statement. There was no subtle jab there.

Trickson wrote,

"But to think this is in some way going to help you in the future is dumb ! No the only ones that have won any thing here is AMD to the tune of 1.25 BILLION dollars !"

"Man how blind are you this is not a win win for any one of us ! Yes maybe Intel and AMD but for the consumer ? For the person that buys the product ? No you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !"

your assumption of why I said he needed a class was incorrect...

AMD wins and consumers win even more

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
Well taking a huge 1.25 Billion dollar hit is going to hit us just as hard . Maybe not in prices but I can tell you this R&D , work force and new fab plants are going to be looked at with discretion . Heck Intel may have a harder time getting out faster better products to you the consumer . we may have a hard time if Intel has no funds for R&D or new fab plants then I am sorry but we suffer will suffer . Less new tech .
I see this a huge loss for every one . But then again what do I know ? Less cash to work with means less fabrication and less R&D for Intel this is a big loss and AMD will I hope take advantage of this . Maybe they will have the dozer out and you can get one for $1,000.00 Just like they were doing with the Athlon X64 CPU's remember how they were pricing them bad boys out at ?

Oh please, things are nowhere near that dire. In fact it's Intel that asking for some pretty pennies right now with things like their chipsets.
As I said, AMD is waiting with a shoulder to cry on and plenty of love, just for you!:toast:

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Well taking a huge 1.25 Billion dollar hit is going to hit us just as hard . Maybe not in prices but I can tell you this R&D , work force and new fab plants are going to be looked at with discretion . Heck Intel may have a harder time getting out faster better products to you the consumer . we may have a hard time if Intel has no funds for R&D or new fab plants then I am sorry but we suffer will suffer . Less new tech .

You mean back then when EVERYTHING PC related was more expensive? Now 4 years later everything has droped down in price except Intel's top offerings, which still go for the same 999$ price ...:cry:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Well taking a huge 1.25 Billion dollar hit is going to hit us just as hard . Maybe not in prices but I can tell you this R&D , work force and new fab plants are going to be looked at with discretion . Heck Intel may have a harder time getting out faster better products to you the consumer . we may have a hard time if Intel has no funds for R&D or new fab plants then I am sorry but we will suffer . Less new tech .

Intels market cap = $110,000,000,000 Nope, it's not going to make one bit of difference. Nice story though. The reasons Intel is giving AMD 1.25 billion is because they were hurting all of us. This is a small step in making it right. Intel played dirty. Now it's all better.

Last edited:
Trickson wrote,
"But to think this is in some way going to help you in the future is dumb ! No the only ones that have won any thing here is AMD to the tune of 1.25 BILLION dollars !"
"Man how blind are you this is not a win win for any one of us ! Yes maybe Intel and AMD but for the consumer ? For the person that buys the product ? No you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !"

your assumption of why I said he needed a class was incorrect...

He states they'll charge more, which Intel is free to do. They currently lead the market in performance and I see a lot more Intel parts hitting the used boards than AMD which hints at a much greater Intel market. They may lose some sales of people who decide to go AMD, but I bet you they'd retain a vast market at a higher price point.

Of course you forget that it probably won't be price raises that they use, but rather they'd likely delay price cuts on their line up. And as long as they lead the market, they have the power to do this.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yeah and when the only new tech is coming out of AMD and Intel is stuck because they have lost 1.25 BILLION bucks just how is this to be of benefit to US the consumer ?
I am sorry I just don't see this as a " good thing " for any one . But what is done is done and I only hope that this will not hurt Intel's R&D as if there is only one place able to deliver high end fast CPU's that we want we will end up paying more for them . I know AMD was doing this for years ! I payed $500 bucks for the 4000+ .

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
Yeah and when the only new tech is coming out of AMD and Intel is stuck because they have lost 1.25 BILLION bucks just how is this to be of benefit to US the consumer ?
I am sorry I just don't see this as a " good thing " for any one . But what is done is done and I only hope that this will not hurt Intel's R&D as if there is only one place able to deliver high end fast CPU's that we want we will end up paying more for them . I know AMD was doing this for years ! I payed $500 bucks for the 4000+ .
Dude, your reaction is not proportional to the cause here.
What do you do when your car gets a flat tire, jump out running and screaming, "IT'S GONNA EXPLODE AND KILL US ALL!!"?:laugh:
I take back what I said, if your store is charging you that much for AMD stuff, it's most probably one of the ones paid off by Intel, so go around the block to the next one. Or in the case of an estore, google again.;)

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
He states they'll charge more, which Intel is free to do. They currently lead the market in performance and I see a lot more Intel parts hitting the used boards than AMD which hints at a much greater Intel market. They may lose some sales of people who decide to go AMD, but I bet you they'd retain a vast market at a higher price point.

Of course you forget that it probably won't be price raises that they use, but rather they'd likely delay price cuts on their line up. And as long as they lead the market, they have the power to do this.

Intel is already aggressively pricing their CPUs that are comparable in performance to AMD's AND they are already charging premiums for their top dog performers

what are they gonna do? raise their pricing even higher? I think not- that would be shooting themselves in the foot...

this 1.25 billion is a minor speed bump to Intel and hardly affects them in the grand scheme of things. they are going to have to suck it up and move on

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Intel is already aggressively pricing their CPUs that are comparable in performance to AMD's AND they are already charging premiums for their top dog performers

what are they gonna do? raise their pricing even higher? I think not- that would be shooting themselves in the foot...

No but they can sure stop R&D , fab plants and employing personal !

I fear this is going to make Intel stagnant , I don't really care one way or the other but when you pop a tire it is far easier to fix it than when you lose 1.25 BILLION dollars . Just some thing I see as not so good .
Intel did the evil deed and yes they are going to pay . But there is some whiplash waiting in the wind I fear from this . Lets just hope that Intel has learned a lesson .

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
No but they can sure stop R&D , fab plants and employing personal !
This is helping AMD live to fight another day and you're unhappy that this might slow down Intel from getting bigger!?:eek:
But there is some whiplash waiting in the wind I fear from this . Lets just hope that Intel has learned a lesson .
Doubtful, very doubtful.:shadedshu

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I will just say I am glad to see them stop posturing about these issues. I am sure the money will help AMD as well as the lack of need for those legal teams will help both companies.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
This is helping AMD live to fight another day and you're unhappy that this might slow down Intel from getting bigger!?:eek:

Doubtful, very doubtful.:shadedshu

No I am worried that this will slow things down and cost me more . If that is too much sorry but some one some were some how is going to feel this and it might not be now or even 1 year from now but some day this is going to become the whiplash I was fearing .

If you take that huge amount away from one and give it to some one els there still remains the fact that 1.25 BILLION dollars are gone from one and that is going to hurt .

|
V

Of course you forget that it probably won't be price raises that they use, but rather they'd likely delay price cuts on their line up.

Would not apply to price cuts if the price cuts happened before the fines. I could see them delaying price cuts in the future (after the fines happened, meaning they're now working it into their budget) and the best part for the business is the consumer doesn't know the difference. As long as Intel has a performance edge, they've got leeway.

Here's something to remember guys:

The goal of the CEO and other board members is to keep the company as profitable as possible. They answer to the people who own stock in their corporation. They want to keep the company as profitable as can be. They retain their jobs based on the share holders views of their actions. Black looks a lot better on paper than red, so I could see them taking measures to increase the amount of black seen on paper.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that kind of stuff. It doesn't affect me anyways as I buy 95% of my products at vastly reduced used pricing.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
FUD. It's not just a website. Fear, uncertainty, doubt. Don't give in to it.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
|
V

Would not apply to price cuts if the price cuts happened before the fines. I could see them delaying price cuts in the future (after the fines happened, meaning they're now working it into their budget) and the best part for the business is the consumer doesn't know the difference. As long as Intel has a performance edge, they've got leeway.

Here's something to remember guys:

The goal of the CEO and other board members is to keep the company as profitable as possible. They answer to the people who own stock in their corporation. They want to keep the company as profitable as can be. They retain their jobs based on the share holders views of their actions. Black looks a lot better on paper than red, so I could see them taking measures to increase the amount of black seen on paper.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled that kind of stuff. It doesn't affect me anyways as I buy 95% of my products at vastly reduced used pricing.

you bring up a good point but delayed price cuts arent going to tremendously affect the consumer and it will only help AMD remain competetive...which helps consumers in the long run

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I will just say I am glad to see them stop posturing about these issues. I am sure the money will help AMD as well as the lack of need for those legal teams will help both companies.

good point. saved money is made money

True it would increase AMD's price / performance aspect if they do this, and yes it would be better for the consumers. I don't agree with Trickson when he says its bad for the consumers all around, I just don't think its as much of a shrug off for Intel as everyone thinks.

I don't think the CEO and board directors really care what's best for the consumers, unless they can use it to market the product. In this case, I also believe the mindset of the CEO regarding any repercussions of AMD profitability would be 'someone else's problem'. By the time it would show any negatives to Intel, years will have likely passed and a new CEO would likely be in place.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
No I am worried that this will slow things down and cost me more.

If intel products end up costing more than it would have if they didn't give 1.25 billion that doesn't mean your forced to buy them there will be cheaper alternatives if you can't afford intel's $12x10^39 cpu.

The thing is if intel raises prices too high to cover the cost of this then they will be in trouble because they will loose sales so it would be wise to leave it as it is because intel make so much money not just in the desktop front but in SSD sales, chipsets, Servers, OEM sales etc I couldn't list all the things that intel sells.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
CHAOS KILLA's post has been dealt with. Just a matter of time before it's removed. I suggest everyone ignore it so no more problems become of it.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Good.

(Not to CHAOS's posts, to the end of the legal crap.)