1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Three New Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processors

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Mar 6, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD today announced three new models in the Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor family that lead the industry in x86 performance and performance-per-watt capabilities. The Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor Model 885 for up to eight-way/16-core enterprise-class servers and Model 285 for high performance two-way/four-core workstations and servers are immediately available. The Model 185 for one-way/two-core servers and workstations is expected to be available within 30 days. All three models will be clocked at 2,6GHz with 64KB/1MB L1/L2 cache and will deliver the highest performance available for x86 servers and power consumption remains within AMD’s standard thermal envelope. The Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor Model 885 is priced at $2,149 in 1,000-unit quantities and the Model 285 is priced at $1,051 in 1,000-unit quantities. The Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor Model 185, is scheduled to be available within 30 days. Click here to see the updated model numbers table.

[small]Source: AMD[/small]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why is AMD going back to 130nm?

3. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how these will fare up to the new Intel's? Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about the 130nm.

4. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    There isn't any concrete information about the CPU specifications in the press release, so i looked out at the model chart page, and it says:
    [​IMG]
    for all 100, 200 and 800 series Opterons. Maybe it's my mistake because the model chart is just updated with the new three CPUs but the process chart stays the same from the first series CPUs. I'll remove the "will be made by .13 micron SOI process" statement for now.