1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD/ATI try my patience !

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BATOFF, Jan 20, 2009.

1. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    After trying to be patient for ATI/AMD to sort this problem since the 8.12 came out, Ive come to the end of my tether.
    Im sick of the constant bsod everytime I boot my pc. Ive spent hard earned money on 2 hd4870's. Using Catalyst drivers before 8.10 I had no problems. Im down to having to use 1 damn crossfire bridge as using 2 under 8.11 or 8.12 just gives me bsod. The usual atimkd bsod garbage.

For ****'s sake....my Win7 beta rig using the win7 cats are 100% more stable than the SHIT fight I have with my main rig and Crossfire.

Main rig specs - Q6600, 4 gig ram, 2 Palit 4870's in CF, Seasonic 700w, Vista 64 SP1, Cats 8.11. BSOD !!

My open air rig - Q6600, 4 gigs ram, HD3870, Win 7 beta, 700wPsu, Cats 8.12 win7 betas. NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS SETUP !

My LAN Rig consists of E8400, 4 gigs ram, HD3870X2, Toughpower 750w, Vista 64 SP1, Cats 8.11 - NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS SETUP !

Obviously Ati/Amd dont give a ***** ! Well **** YOU ATI/AMD !!!!!!
    Ive had enough of their PISS POOR product support.
    Do you expect Me to run 1 4870 when I spent money on a Crossfire supported mainboard ???
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    How about trying to ask for help for starters.

Tun off the ATI event utility service. Enable crossfire, reboot, use it.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    May I ask what the difference is between one bridge and two? I had run my pair of 3870's with one bridge. I tested in with 1 and with 2 and seen no performance increase using 2 and heard it caused instability.

So I wouldn't be so angry, did it hurt your performance any in the question, if that took a hit then yeah I would get worked up. And if it worked fine under 8.10's use those. 8.12's I didn't notice any performance increase myself.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    2 bridges is for higher resolutions if I remember correctly.
    BATOFF says thanks.
  5. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have done the usual turning off ati event utitily, clean install of 8.10 then install 8.12 over it. tried both hot fixes.
    I game at my native 22" resolution of 1680x1050
    Dont get me wrong, I have watched all the threads on 8.12 and solutions to try. Some days I dont have any problems booting up. All my games are fine - Fallout 3 , Far Cry 2, Call of Duty WAW, Brothers in Arms. Its the bsod at boot that finally took its toll on my patience.
    I had to have a rant.
  6. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also used to run tri-fire with a 3870X2 and a 3870, cats 8.11 and 8.10 . No problems
    Once Im into windows I get no problems. Its only at boot, and only boot.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    what motherboards are you using for your setups?
  8. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte X48-DQ6 latest bios F7 F8 bios is still beta.
    Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 latest bios
    Gigabyte P35P-DS3 latest bios

As I said, Its only at boot do I get BSOD.
    Im on my E8400 rig as I type usin 8.11 with a 3870X2 no probs booting, all games fine - Fallout 3, Far Cry2, COD WAW, BIA, Stalker CS,
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I'm thinking, TBH, the PSU might not be able to handle the full-system draw at boot-up. The 4870s suck a serious amount of juice during bootup (from what I've read - more, it seems, than during gaming) . . . when added in with all the other components, the PSU might not be able to handle that kind of load.

Curious - can you try your 750W out of your LAN rig just to see if there's any difference?
    BATOFF says thanks.
  10. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can and will swap out the psu from my lan rig. I will post results as soon as I can.
  11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Are you overclocking. Could it be causing it to BSOD more than usual? Just throwing that out there. If you are try and see if it still BSOD's with Stock Speeds.
    BATOFF says thanks.
  12. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even at stock it will bsod at boot. When I do get the bsod, I will then boot into safe mode on the restart, then restart back into windows no problems. Later on tonight I will swap psu's and use stock speeds.
  13. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok.....I shut down my E8400 rig and powered up the my main rig. No bsod. Havent swapped the psu's yet or reduced overclock.
  14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    What are the codes it gives on the BSOD?
    crtecha says thanks.
  15. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get the timeout display reset , atikmd bsod. I just did a reboot and suffered 5 bsod tdr unti the 6th boot let me into windows as I type.
  16. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys for the help....I will put up with it till the next Catalyst release. Im still gonna swap out psu and run stock settings and will get back with the results. I can put up with the problem until I get to do a psu swap. Im too lazy at the moment and the cabling job I did both for psu will take a bit of time to undo. I suppose it gives me a reason to spend more time on my other 2 rigs both of which run flawlessly.
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    turn off VPU recovery.
  18. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try to boot it with just one card?

I would do one card and test it. Also like 95viper said what is the IRQ or the error that it states on your bsod?
  19. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    2 bridges if for Tri fire and Quad fire, only one bridge is required when running Crossfire with 2 cards, put 2 on if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but it wont make a ounce of differance, I run 2560x1600 with 1 bridge. I have tried 2 and it didnt do a thing, not even 1 fps more.
  20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Have you by any chance tried the Hotfix driver they released for this very problem?

(TBH AMD/ATi's driver support is going downhill so fast, it's pathetic )
  21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya i run Hotfix Drivers namely because of AGP, but the 8.12s worked like the 8.5s did (No Instabilities, games smooth) I guess the only thing i would notice is 3D Mark testing mainly.

Also i would suggest looking at User Modified drivers (they tend to analyze areas that they deem need attention)
  22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had meant to ask last night as well - what is the specific STOP error that the BSoD displays (it'll look something like 0x00000x)? Also, if it references a specific .sys or .dll file, that'll be helpful, too.

Although, I'm still thinking it might be a power-related issue, can't be definite, though.

Also - are your chipset drivers and all other mainboard hardware drivers up-to-date?

@Darknova - kinda to be expected right now, with how rough the economy is and companies downsizing to keep afloat - I'm sure AMD/ATI had to cut quite a few service personnel, and those who are left are probably swamped with extra workload.
  23. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    All my drivers and chipset are up to date. I just got home from work and booted up to the atikmd bsod. I let it reboot into safe mode then rebooted and got straight into windows. Damn weird. Havent swapped psu's yet.
    Both cards work fine by themselves.
    @ Darknova....yes I have tried both hotfixes and they both disable 1 of my cards - Code 43.
    Im not the only person to have this problem. Go have a read of the AMD forums.
    Im alot calmer now.....just had to vent my anger.
  24. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pics of my bsod (hope ya can see ok) and installation of 2nd hotfix drivers.

Attached Files:

25. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting...do you mind trying something?
    -Insert your Vista DVD disc into the the dvd tray.
    -Go to start then run and type sfc /scannow.
    OR
    -Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator then type sfc /scannow.

It should then scan your OS's integrity. Post back the results.
    BATOFF says thanks.