1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Bulldozer Details

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by DanTheMan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
  2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    It sucks that Bulldozer won't be compatible with AM3. Means I'm stuck with Phenom IIs until I buy a new board, which won't be happening any time soon.

3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Ever since the hd 2900 (look at how many shaders it has!!! g80 my ass) and phenom 1 (oh well it's gonna be a true quad herp de derrr) I've decided to take the stance of "It's all bullshit till I see a review" when it comes to the under dog.

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This. Unfortunately, fanboys seems to disagree.

5. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I dunno I'm still excited. From what I could understand from the article Bulldozer sounds like AMD is breaking into an entirely new territory - they're foregoing a change from the old multi-core design to a more scalar design. Cores start to loose their meanings and become just execution units and the CPU starts to borrow from the GPU which I think is a good thing :]

6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I am guessing the Bulldozer will shine in Server market, hopefully more in the Virtual, Cloud and Database based environments.

7. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm thinking.

Although the desktop version will still be decent competition for Intel, but when LGA2011 Sandy Bridge comes out, I think Intel will be back on top again.
    I just can't wait to see some performance numbers from Bulldozer. I will wait for TPUs review before I decide if its a worthwhile investment ;)

8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    AMD starts shipping in April of this year 2011 Bulldozer processor ...

Bulldozer can't be compatible with AM3, because AM3 based motherboards are missing design elements to properly utilize the new CPUs. Though personally I don't like the name Socket AM3+, I think AMD should change the name to Socket AM4 or something to reduce confusion.

Anyway new info on AMD's wonder CPU Design "Bulldozer".

LINK(s)
    AMD starts shipping in April of this year 2011 Bulldozer processor ...
    http://lensfire.blogspot.com/2010/11/amd-bulldozer-processor-release-date.html
    AMD's Bulldozer cores to push to 3.5 GHz and beyond
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/24/amd_bulldozer_core_isscc/

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if the new motherboards are backwards compatible, then I see no reason in calling them AM3+.

10. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    It would be great if they can come up to par with Intel and retain an equivalent price/performance ratio. If they could top Intel performance for a day it would be a step in the right direction!

11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    now i know that this is speculation until i find the story.... but I saw an article claiming on chip hell.com that the AM3 socket will be compatible with the new bull dozer cpu. Although it will not be able to get the same performance as if you were using ot with a AM3+/ 990fx chipset

Heres a article not from Chip hell.... but it also claims the same thing.... Do a google search on the Net and if you make the search requirements to latest or past 24 hours you will see this too :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,813945/Cebit-2011-MSI-bringt-AMD-Bulldozer-taugliche-AM3-Mainboards-sowie-BIOS-Update/Mainboard/News/

So Good new yes!!!