1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview Incoming Today - Custom App Profiles Finally + More

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by FierceRed, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    So hot off the presses, there's still smoke rising from the digital ink. I was about to nod off when I saw this article posted less than 2 hours ago on Anandtech and came immediately here to post the good news.

AMD Releases Catalyst 12.1 Preview – Custom Application Profiles, HD3D CrossFire, & More

As an aside, I feel I wholeheartedly agree with the author, Ryan Smith, in his assessment of the blunders AMD committed with BF3, Rage and Skyrim. And despite this news, I can't help but raise an eyebrow at AMD's timing. Why now, with the first driver of a new year ushering in the debut of the GCN architecture, is it time to deliver a forehead smacking necessity in GPU functionality for gaming to the masses, and it be expected to not seem a coincidence? I can't help but temper my excitement that it is finally supported and provided officially, with the suspicion that it could've arrived much sooner but was delayed for a publicity event.

Nonetheless, the news is uplifting and welcome, and enough of my mere intrusive opinion. Read and enjoy. :toast:

pantherx12 and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Custom application profile is long overdue, one of the reasons i get stucked with nvidia cards, at least now i can tweak individual game settings on the HD 6850 :)

4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've been wanting this for years. Not having it was a deal breaker for me. I think a lot perpetual AMD owners didn't even know what they were missing, as evidenced by their confusion every time I asked if AMD cards had that feature "yeah, we have crossfire profiles." The poor bastards.

Unless some crazy must have physx game comes out I can now consider both brands equally.

5. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Profiles isnt that much of a big deal for me, most games have adequate in game settings for image quality, and if it doesnt, setting global settings isnt that much of a big deal. A lot of people like simplicity and dont want to mess with profiles anyway.

Its great to have the features though, especially crossfire support for 3D and different crossfire profiles. Looks like the 7970 will be another 5870 and send Nvidia back to the drawing board.

6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    RadeonPro is your friend :D

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received: