1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta 1.6 Posted

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    manofthem and neliz say thanks.
  2. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    So it is like having 3 different engines to acoount for? Like if we take Mantle for AMD, DX for legacy, nvidias implementation of mantle(if they are willing to embrace into developing it for their arhitecture or whatever they come up with) in the future? Then still DX will take the win as it is the least hardware dependent as everything needs to go through a wrapper layer that DX is and DX interfaces with the hardware. DirectX offers a standard compared to proprietary tech such as OpenGL does, its just the fact that all generations support different versions of OpenGL with all those minor .1,.2 versions while DX9 was the standard for 3 or 4 gens DX10 for 2 and DX11 for 3 or 4 more depending on the maker and OpenGL support was always different between generations and sometimes even between AMD and NV in the same gen. They will be always going to write the least code for the same program and not rewrite it 3 times. BF4 is an experiment probably well funded by the AMD part too and not just EA, to convert Frostbyte Engine to Mantle, but not many companies will afford to maintain 2 different implementations, even 1 is too much with the sloppy console ports that are just thrown at the PC users and then left to die.

3. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:
    It's 2014, there are three major gaming platforms, PS4, XBone and PC. IF developers are interested in reducing costs, it's in their best interest to do so (reduced costs means shorter development cycles.)
    DICE is just banking on bringing something similar to what they're working with on the PS4 to the PC which gives them some flexibility and programmability.. something developers actually seem to like. On the other hand, we have the Xbone and their implementation of DirectX. If The presentation of DICE is true, Mantle is pretty close to what they do on the PS4. For all we know, it might be easier for them to port code from the PS4 then to convert DirectX from the xbone or vice versa.

DX9 lasted for 3 gens, but there were variances between each DirectX9 version, remember 9.0c and Far Cry?
    DirectX 10 was only one gen. (from an AMD perspective) and the same goes for 10.1

4. _larry

_larry

Thanks Received:
    I don't play BF4 and I don't really care much for Mantle at the moment. I'm just downloading because new drivers.

5. progste

Thanks Received:
    Not engines, API. It is quite different as an API is not a game engine, it's just the language that programmers use to dialogue with the hardware via the drivers and built in hardware features, so they can write the program just once and it will work on very different hardware as long as the drivers and the hardware are built to support those functions.
    This is also the reason why sometimes fixing something to work better in a situation can break something else and the drivers require extensive beta testing before reaching a stable release.

6. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty happy with these's drivers, Star Swarm had a very nice increase. And of coarse BF4 it's fully supported, but there is a slight increase in frames. But with a game that has so many other issues, this doesn't really bother me much. By the time the issues get fix Mantle should be more stable.

:toast:

7. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I think by the time them issues get fixed, Mantle will have died of old age ...

Jokes aside, a new milestone has been reached and regardless of the outcome of Mantle, it's foundations are set: this may turn out to be one of those situations of "before Mantle" and "after Mantle".

Time will tell.

8. _larry

_larry

Thanks Received:
    Metro 2033 and CS:GO seem to run a bit smoother frame latency wise with my 7950.

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    well....:

[​IMG]

Ya'all can come to your own conclusions. Me, I see 100% boost with 7970 using mantle.

Mantle = actual GCN driver, should have been launched with 7-series, but AMD had issues with memory management, remember? With that said, time for me to stop posting on TPU. Have fun guys!

AsRock says thanks.
  10. freeleacher

Thanks Received:
    Blue screen 100% of the time on battlefield 4
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800792F010
    BCP2: FFFFF88009524DBC
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000002
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes these forums are starting to sound like steam forums lol.

LMAO he knows that...

Seriously ?, beta and not supported yet and you thought you were so special even though it did not work for AMD it would for you and you think this gives you right to yet again have a excuse to bitch and moan in a AMD thread...

GTFOOH...

neliz and Solaris17 say thanks.
  12. Blín D'ñero

Blín D'ñero

Thanks Received:
    From the Release Notes (you should read them sometimes!):
    and Regarding Battlefield 4 under Mantle, from Known Issues:

13. Slomo4shO

Thanks Received:
    You, Sir, fail at math.

57.77/38.80 = 1.4889

48.89%100%

Also, your benchmarks indicate an R9 but you are suggesting 7970... Which is it? A R9 280X?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  14. freeleacher

Thanks Received:
    Fresh install no other drivers were present at all.
    My cards were seen as unknown hardware before install.

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    as usual, complaints about things breaking, but you can just use the older good dll for your broken game, making it a non issue (unless you have to frankenstein your CAPs file)

so-called beta doesnt mean a thing, most ati drivers have been the same, we have whqls with bsods & major issues, we have betas that work great

it's just a new driver branch, the little sticker microsoft puts out is irrelevant

& who waits for whql to complain about bugs? report them! http://amd.com/betareport

16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It's an ASUS 7970 MATRIX w/ R9 280X MATRIX BIOS.

100% in max batch. That'd be the most CPU-limited scenario.

raw FPS, sure, but that's averaged out FPS. FPS on DirectX tanks to < 10 FPS, in Mantle, it barely drops below 30 FPS. You are comparing FPS over 6 minutes of test, not every single millisecond of the test, which paints a different picture than just those numbers do.

It's all about how you analyze the results, and what gives those results. Looking at the end numbers only doesn't tell you squat. Which is why I should stop posting. :roll: Everyone will draw their own conclusions anyway. Anyone could look at mining performance AMD vs NV, then gaming performance, see the problems there, and could have expected this. Add in power consumption, and it has been obvious since day one that AMD GPUs have been far under-utilized, never mind that AMD said they had driver issues getting the most out of these chips well over a year ago, but performance hasn't increased...stability has, sure.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    He has a point though. Even if you include total frames, isn't nearly 100%, I think 50-65% would be a better estimation, which still isn't too bad tbh.

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Oh, of course. That goes without saying. Obvious is obvious. :p

19. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    It's a thread about the release of a new AMD driver. Doesn't say anywhere in the topic is a Mantle ONLY driver. And I just stated some facts. What's your problem?

20. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    happen to me. disable your igpu

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I guess my problem is common sense, this is BETA with new added stuff that there be even more of a chance of there being a issue.

22. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Total frames rendered.

67% increase in performance VS, however notice the extra numbers of objects, 5% more, and as we all know geometry is compute core limited and thus not linear in scale. Once the delta is reached in DX performance per unit unit is exponential in decrease. Per unit average is still 28% higher on top of the already 67% higher performance at the higher unit per frame render.

Overall I would feel good saying it was a 75% increase, for free, so your complaint is exactly what? You didn't get in on it?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  23. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Enabling deferred context in the demo on nvidia systems gives massive performance boost according to results from forum posters on anandtech.

24. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    what exactly does that do?

25. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    AMD was involved with Nvidia in the 2013 game development conference that covered the use of DC.

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...dev/docs/GDC_2013_DUDASH_DeferredContexts.pdf

Flushing due to state changes still pose problems, perhaps mantle address this throught the use of HSA so that the GPU is aware (pseudo aware if off chip memory controller is in use such as the ARM chip Nvidia seems to be implementing**from what I believe**) of what the CPU is working and the thread changes in process.

Solaris17 says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU