1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst "Frame Pacing" Driver Results Thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by erocker, Jul 31, 2013.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So.. New drivers incoming today or tomorrow. They will supposedly be named 13.8's... "8" being August. Anyways, there are two programs which you can use to find out what your frame latency is in games.

The first tool you will need is FRAPS. Get it here: http://www.fraps.com/download.php

The second tool you need is FRAFS Bench Viewer. Get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/

To begin, open FRAPS and tick the "FPS" tab. Under Benchmark Settings, the only box that needs to be checked is "Frametimes" You can set the duration of the test to a number of your choosing.
    [​IMG]

After you have recorded the frametimes, you then simply open up FRAFS and drag the .csv file that FRAPS created into FRAFS.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to start benching some games in CrossFire using the current 13.6 Beta 2 drivers now. I will post up the new drivers once they are available.

HD64G and manofthem say thanks.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Great, except this won't cover issues that aren't seen here, that appear over the cable. AMD agreed that FRAPS wasn't showing the true story about this issue already, because of where in the render pipeline it accesses the data from, after which a lot of stuff can still happen.

That said, I'm still interested to see if there is an impact at this level as well, too. It's all pretty useful info, since AMD isn't the only one with issues at times. Oh and look, jUly 31st..no driver yet, and it's 1:30 PM MST. Boo AMD, BOO...lulz.

3. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    it should show some changes as the pacing should back up the fill buffers, which is what fraps measures.

4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    When dealing with what FPS Fraps gives. We're not dealing with that. We are taking the frametimes and putting it into FRAFS. The results are accurate and it does cover the issue.

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    LOL :laugh:

I was watching some videos, mainly of Crysis 3 from PCPer and One side was driver prior to the Prototype they were given, and then right was with the Prototype and it was like a night and day different. They then dropped the speed of the video to 50% and I was amazed. Left side was super stuttery, right side was butter smooth!

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    FRAFS reads the timestamps put on the frame by FRAPS. But rather than showing FPS, it shows the difference beween the render times at that specific point in the pipeline.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6857/amd-stuttering-issues-driver-roadmap-fraps/4

tigger and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    My god they are making us wait for these wtf amd already.
    Im actually going to try this this time erocker ,benches only though.
    Im probably day dreaming anyway since its unlikely to be applicable to my fives (58##).

8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    If that was the case wouldn't the results be identical using similar systems with different GPU's? Either way, it's nothing official... For fun, if you will. I do know that using this method one can clearly see that Nvidia has the advantage in terms of frame pacing regardless of where FRAPS gets it's information from.

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

No, but rather than try to explain it all(since it's pretty damn complicated and I'm not sure I exactly understand all of it myself), I just suggest reading the Anandtech article I linked. Both Nvidia and AMD are not exactly happy with FRAPS, because of how it works, but in the end, for FPS testing, it works fine since it still tells you how many frames are rendered, since one cannot be finished before the next, so to speak. It just doesn't tell you how many were actually displayed, and that was the whole point of PC PERSPECTIVE doing all that testing using a second PC, etc...FRAPS clearly didn't show the entire picture, at all.

NVidia has their own issues with multi-GPU as well. There were quite a few times that the NVidia guy in Ryan's video interview had an embarrassed look on his face when they compared the GTX690 results.

Either way, it's just another aspect of the pipeline itself, so all the data is relevant. My only point is that it's not the full picture in and of itself....that requires a completely separate PC and some pretty expensive video capture hardware.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. However, this bench (for fun/testing purposes) will/should show some improvement to give somewhat of an idea of how things are progressing.

catnipkiller says thanks.
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sure, since it is also possible that things that look good at this stage, may also have a negative effect at the end of render pipe. I dunno, time will tell, and I expect that Ryan @ PCPer will have some data when the driver comes out. Unless they paid him to shut up. :laugh:

Besides, all this conjecture is useless without the driver itself. If I can play BF3 for more than 5 minutes, and not get sick to my stomach, AMD's done a decent job, and that's all I care about. :roll:

12. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Well, FRAPS tells me my fps sucks in Far Cry 3, so I'm looking forward to some better numbers with this new driver release, hopefully.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    is it normal im getting 29 fps in tomb raider with a hd 7970 max settings? it doesn't seem like its lagging at all but fraps says 29/30/31 and the 7970 is clocked at 1125/1575, single gpu config on 1080p

13.150.100.1000 8.1 Preview V2 drivers
    Time
    [​IMG]

FPS
    [​IMG]

Rank
    [​IMG]

14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You should be getting about 50-60FPS lol.

15. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ i thought this frametime/microstutter/frame latency was for dual card configs??

and ive been running two cards for a few days and played all sorts of games and havent noticed it once.

16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Tress FX has a huge hit on FPS for a little visual pron in TR

17. The Mac

Thanks Received:
  18. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    that is such a boner killer

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I still see issues at time, and the issues generate an actual physical reaction for me, like motion sickness. I don't care about graphs and what-not.

Anyway, simply put, many users don't see any issues, but it could be construed that those that see no issues are simply not "sensitive" enough (ie. perceptually challenged) to see the actual problem. Usually these sorts of conversations devolve into discussing the ins and outs of the problem, but that's not needed, really. It's a real problem, so much so that AMD has spent months-worth of man-hours, if not years, trying to come up with a suitable fix. IF you don't see the problem, that's great, enjoy your Dual GPUs.

Anyone actually expecting AMD to deliver on-time, when they nearly never do when it comes to drivers and this situation, is simply delusional.:laugh:

20. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    they said they fixed the single gpu config, the latency from my pics are ridiculous for single gpu are they not?

21. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    LOL ^^^

im waiting for the trolls to jump on this, being late thing.

@ dave theres loads of people with 2 cards that dont notice it, maybe its the over sensitive types that do

22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    It does, but 7970s are still getting about 50FPS with Tress on. Without it, there performance goes up near 70. TressFX is a much bigger hit on Nvidia cards due to the fact their compute performance is very low, compared to AMD Tahiti cards, which TressFX is a compute based shader.

23. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    So your retarded if you don't notice frame latency issues with AMD? (I'm sorry if I'm twisting your words but saying mental(ly) challenged people don't see a difference, what are you smoking Dave?) I could say the same for people who overly focus on the whole frame latency (non) issue whilst MANY people with dual AMD GPU setups for years have not seen any noticeable/real world issues (Fraps/Ffaps and faps aside)

Not meaning to be a dick and apologies if that's not how you meant to come across though you really should read what you post before hand as it could be construed in a way that's offensive, and IF you can't see that, maybe it's your problem bro.

InnocentCriminal says thanks.
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    PCPer's testing proved that the FPS measurements given by AMD cards, and what was actually displayed, were not one and the same. So if FPS says 80 FPS, you might only have 40 FPS, or 60, or anything between 0 and 80.

So no...24 FPS works fine for many users for blu-rays, but when it comes to twitch-based FPS titles, the differences between even single GPU to dual-GPU, and pretty glaring. AMD's done a lot of work to alleviate the problem as much as possible, but due to responses form suers that say there is no problem, no AMD is forced to basically develop TWO drivers at the same time...one for performance, and one for quality. If this issue was just people being "overly sensitive", they'd not go to that expense, really.

meh. And yeah, I knew EXACTLY what I was posting and how it would be interpreted. You should expect that of my posts ALWAYS. ;) I just simply put that out there early, since I truly believe that if there was no problem at all, as many would like to say, then AMD would not be working on this driver in the first place, since it'd be one huge waste of money. If you ignore that fact, that AMD is spending lots of cash on this issue, then yeah, I think you're mentally challenged, and I don't think there's anything wrong with saying so. I was directing my comments at any specific person, at all. I'm physically challenged, compared to someone who is stronger than I am. Why is someone being smarter, or being able to see things better than myself, a problem? Why is pointing it out a problem? It's simply science, in my books, form that perspective. I didn't say that's how it was, I said it could be construed...read all the text, not just the part that got you a bit upset.

25. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I don't think he meant to say people are retarded or anything. I think he more meant some people who are not noticing the issue, their eyes, and mind are as tuned as some.

I know for myself, I notice a lot of small video issues, most of my friends won't notice. I'm just more in tune with it because I've been playing PC games for so long.

EDIT: Or maybe he did mean what he said lol.