1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Claims Memory Controller Breakthrough

Discussion in 'News' started by HellasVagabond, Jul 25, 2007.

1. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD claims to have created a new memory controller which will double the memory capacity on its high-end server and workstation systems. AMD says that the G3MX technology will become available in 2009 and will target memory intensive systems such as virtualisation servers and large databases. When it comes to conventional systems, Ram modules connect directly to a memory controller on the motherboard or are built into the CPU. Nathan Brookwood principal analyst at Insight64 had the following to say about AMD's newest achievement.
    Source: Vnunet

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I've never seen a place that used AMD computers, only Intel.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently surrounded by Opteron servers. I think there's a 8086 in the inventory machine.

4. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damnet. I hate "breakthrough" articles.

They ought to be more like...

5. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what they said, thats what i report :)

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    that sounds a lot more plausible i think....

7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Damn..good news for servers...I was hoping this was gonna bre in their phenom chips

8. HaZe303

HaZe303 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Question is, will AMD be still around in 2009??? Me thinks not, if they keep up this constant delaying, this minimal exposure, and last but not least, these awful sale´s numbers.... They need something now, not 2 years from now. This is AMD´s biggest problem atm, they are always behind Intel in everything. Die shrinks, prices, performance, etc,etc....

9. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's hope so. Competition benefits the consumer. Also, 2 years....I don't think AMD will go under, and Phenom is supposed to be at least if not better than Core 2. The thing with AMD is they just don't have the resources as Intel, however I don't think in 2 years they're going to fall...

10. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    Well, Intel is HUGE compared to AMD, and AMDs stock chip v stock chip pwn most intels, so they are doin ok considering intels vast wealth.

and dont be silly, ofcourse AMD will be around then :rolleyes:

11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A company doing well means they make a lot of cash, since that's the whole point of a company. Making good products is completely irrelevant, it is just a means to do well.

Also, AMD chips don't "pwn" Intel chips, check benchmarks mate.

As for AMD being around, sure. Will they be the same company? Who knows, perhaps they will be bought by another company, think Samsung or IBM. Many things could happen, we shall see what happens in the future.

12. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the latest rumour (though its from the inquirer, so i dont believe it myself, at least yet) is that samsung are looking at buying/investing in amd, an interesting proposition certainly

edit: meh@dan

13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Haven't read that, however it makes perfect sense, Samsung is the second biggest company in semiconductor land, only Intel surpasses them. They have the resources to turn AMD into something big and with AMD they could get a nice foothold in several markets including the desktop processor market.

14. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    or, as you mentioned ibm, who are no strangers to processor production, and combined with amd could become a real problem for intel

15. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    IBM and AMD already work together as well, so they're no strangers to eachother either. Being bought by some giant would be good for AMD :)

16. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should think a situation in which x86 stagnates (yes, crap can increase in crapness) would be great for IBMs processor business (i.e. PPC), although I suppose they might miss the current minuscule R&D funding from AMD.

17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I second that, but Im leaning towards Samsung getting AMD more the IBM. as my dad keeps telling me IBM is a dying breed (my dads a bit of a stocks & shares buff so he knows his stuff also as hes worked in data centers in loads of banks since before i was born around 1985ish)

If Samsung aquired AMD that would be a little heartbreaking i suppose. if ATi were to go with them if they havent been sold already....

But Samsung is pretty well established so AMD & ATi should fit in just fine i suppose

18. HaZe303

HaZe303 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont get me wrong, I do really hope AMD will be around for a long time. But im afraid they wont. And even if samsung would acquire them, I bet it wouldnt be the same company as today. But hey, maybe thats a good thing? AMD hasnt been very succesful these two years, so they must be doing something wrong... Even if they dont have the same recourses as Intel, these delays put of many people. People want their products easy, accesible, and cheap. Amd can only provide with the last option.

19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well as we can all see, between Intel & AMD theres been a roll reversal. Intel is now top dog after giving away the market to AMD by sticking with their net burst architecture for a long time...now when Intel released the Core 2 Duo's. AMD knew intel were going to release it & didnt hold back the release of the X2 CPU line. they didnt want to delay the X2's release just so they could tweak it a little more. so they sent it out on a limb & against Intels Core 2's. & this is whats happend, even with the AM2's AMD couldnt claw back its share of the market. & Now their looking for external funding etc & all the news about how their losing money n stuff. IMO AMD are going to have to either do a last ditch move, move all their remaining resources on & make a CPU hopefully better then Core 2 & shed a few people here & there, then wait for the result, if it goes bad then bye bye AMD. then will they put themselves up for sale on the market when there are no more cards to play.

Hopefully they wont have to resort to being bought out or selling ATi - One of their Prized divisions. Intel really tore AMD a new one with the Core 2's no doubt about it

20. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok.....let's get the facts straight, AMD isn't in a dire going to die, ZOMG it needs to make a last ditch effort, WTH is going on it's horrible state. It's part of competition. All this talk about AMD going down in two years....:shadedshu. Honestly, it's not a small company anymore, it is mid to large cap. I think it did 1 billion dollars in sales in the first quarter....but yes they lost money. It's not going to end AMD. They're not under huge debt problems etc etc.

As I said before, it's part of competition. AMD gave Intel a huge hit with the A64 compared to netburst. No one was crying that Intel was going to die, yes they had money etc etc... I strongly believe that if AMD returns to the underdog spot they'll find something where they excel against Intel. That might be value, however with the recent C2D pricecuts....not so, but later on. Also remember that Intel is introducing their own memory controller with Nehlem and that's something new to Intel. Perhaps they'll mess up and AMD will take advantage.

Don't get me wrong, AMD is in a bad spot, but it's not so bad they're going to fall. Phenom is supposed to be the same or better performance as Conroe. Also, AMD has always excelled at floating point, something the core 2 does well, but not as good as AMD's chips. Floating point is huge in servers, sooo AMD still has servers to fall back on, and while their Opteron chips may not be as prominent as Xeons, I still think they have good chips for server based systems compared to Intel's offerings. Anyways, sorry for the long post, but hope you all get the idea.