1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by dustyshiv, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

Got a question for you. Maybe its simple...Nevertheless...I couldnt figure out a solution...Thought asking u guys!!

I OCed my procy to 3.15GHz, with all the voltage and multiplier bumps and she stayed stable for an hour on prime95 full load.

But the issue is...my temps keep reaching 41 degree C under idle conditions and fan spins noisily. The clock speed always remains 3.15 GHz. I have enabled the Cool'n'Quiet feature to Auto in the bios. So should'nt this bring down the clock speed to a low value when the procy is idle and bump it to 3.15 when apps demand it? The reason I ask is that my system will be on 24x7 and I dont think its healthy for a CPU to operate at 41 degree C and at 3.15GHz even when Im just downloadin a big file.

Whats your comments guys??

Appreciate your help!!

Regards,

Shiv

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    CoolnQuiet should lower the clock speed when idle like you described. Also at 41 degrees idle is a little high but it is fine. Personally you should look at load temperatures.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    If you've changed the multiplier from stock then Cool n Quiet disables. (at least that's what I've noticed)

dustyshiv says thanks.
  4. jagass New Member

Thanks Received:
    41 degrees is just normal...

dustyshiv says thanks.
  5. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    c'n'q works fine with my overclocked rig... i also use vista. you probably need to change power schemes and/or change the clock speed scaling cutoffs. if you're in high performance mode, in vista power settings, then the default is 100% core speed all the time.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

Kei and dustyshiv say thanks.
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea i wouldn't say 41 degrees isn't high at all. its average imo. My Q6600 runs at about 36-38idle, but that's only cause i have the case side off and a fan in my room to keep me cool and i found it helped keep my CPU cooler, was idling at 42 or so. You have nothing to worry bout. I take it this overclocking is something just recently done? cause if your temps start to slowly climb even more at idle i'd think about re-applying the TIM. It'd been a year and 2 months since i'd applied mine, till last thursday, and my CPU was idling at 56-59 :D, reapplied AS5 and gave it a nice burn in with OCCT a couple times over the past 4 days, babe is back to 37 idle. amazing how old TIM can affect temps. Your good man don't sweet it.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  7. nicholasblock

nicholasblock New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I would'nt worry about it either on my old gigabyte board i had vrm problems and sometimes under load i would be in the 100's c but once 110c hit it would shut off ran that for like 6 months got a new board and my 4400+ is still running smooth

dustyshiv says thanks.
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you have Minimal Power Management set in Power Options under Control Panel, this works for XP im not sure on Vista tho.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  9. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies!!

I tried the power options in the control panel and adjusted my min CPU speed to 5% and max CPU speed to 100%. But I did this when my cpu was not OCed.

Next, to check if its working, I increased the multiplier to 15 and bumped the Vcore to 1.40V

After successful post and boot, when I entered vista, my temps were high and the CPU was operating at 3.0GHz all the time.
    Further when I went to check the power options, the option to set the Cpu power level was missing.
    I have taken a screenshot of it!!

[​IMG]

What do u think guys?

Do all the CPUs oced run at their max speed all the time?

Appreciate your help!!

Thnx,
    Regards,
    Shiv

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yes, CPU-Z indicates fluctuations in CPU speed, though mine only does so by .1-.5mhz cpu usually. So if it's sustaining at 3ghz while CPU-Z is open it is running 3ghz all 4 cores 24/7. it isn't idle temps that need worrying it's load. what are your temperatures at load? according to AMD you should stay below 61 celcius. run OCCT or another stress test and see what your temps jump to.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  11. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    PhenomMsrtTweaker is a fine little program. You can make your own custom cool n quiet profile. And this program can go as low as x4 with cpu multi. Works like a charm if u want to OC but save power.

suraswami and dustyshiv say thanks.
  12. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Meizuman,

Thank u so much!! This proggie solved my problems!! Does exactly whats required of it. Bumps the clock speed and Vcore to 3.1GHz on full load and returns back to 1.4 GHz during idle!!

Appreciate your help buddy!!

Cheers,
    Shiv

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have mine at 3.123 right now I think and its 38c at idle and I couldnt get it over 52c on load. You should be fine. I have the 125watts though. I think the limit is 65c for that chip. I could be wrong but that sounds about right.

dustyshiv says thanks.
  14. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not sure what your prob was, maybe your mobo was telling vista not to allow cpu scaling while oc'd, and that program got around it?

i have no problems running c'n'q while overlclocking.

dustyshiv says thanks.