1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Delays FX Series Launch to October, Expands First Wave

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hustler New Member

Thanks Received:
    ..no, Uranus..;)...:D

Fatal, de.das.dude and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, well yeah. Maybe so. I just read your post and thought you wanted to play Battlefield properly. ^^

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Don't need Bulldozer for that. :p
    [​IMG]
    Top one is a Core i7 920 and the bottom one is 2 x Xeon 5310. Looks exactly the same as FX-8xxx. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The FX-4000's didn't need turbo boost if they are only getting 100 to 300 MHz. It will make little to no difference.

If these are right, I would rather see the FX-4170 be: 3.3 GHz (4.3 GHz turbo) with a 100W TDP. I don't think they are clocked so high because they suck at clock for clock performance. I think they are clocked so high just because they can.

Like someone said earlier, market spin is involved here as the general public things (high the clock the better the performance). And since they are most likely to sick with pre-build systems in the low to mid range from Dell, Acer, etc. the 4 core CPU's they will be getting have the highest default clocks. It is a marketing trick, but not directed at us as we are expected to go for more cores thus the FX-6000 and FX-8000.

Maybe you should consider a Bulldozer server chip for that weather thing.
    [​IMG]

5. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man, I ran Final Fantasy X through PCSX2 a couple of years ago with a Phenom I X3 @ 3.0ghz and a Radeon HD 3850. I also handled Super Smash Bros: Brawl just fine with an Athlon II X4 @ 3.6ghz and a Radeon 4870. My Phenom II X6 blows those processors away.

Really, above 1080p, my CPU is no bottleneck for games (save for a few I don't play like Far Cry 2). Moving to an FX or SB processor really won't net me any difference in gaming at my eyefinity resolution (except maybe if I was running crossfire). Thus, if the FX series sucks, I'm just going to hang with my Thuban chip (put that saved money towards an HD 7950 :D).

6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    So happy I went 2500k! Come on AMD, you guys are still my favorite though.

7. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Just go Sandy Bridge if you're waiting on BD. First June, then August, then Sept, now October? That's three months. Does AMD know how long three months+ is in tech time? It's a longgggg time.

I'm an AMD fan but these delays are becoming expected at this rate. Come on...just release the dang thing already. Die hard AMD fans are buying up 990X, literally building up new rigs, but no CPU to support it.... COME ON!

8. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I agree that AMD need a better approach to marketing as their products are generally unknown outside the geek community. But I disagree that resources thus far was wasted on advertising because arguably each cycle of advertising is probably raking in pre-orders in the tens of hundreds/thousands units from OEMs.

9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    OEMs are perfectly happy selling Intel chips and they sell a lot of them because people ask for them by name. When's the last time you've heard someone that wasn't techy ask for an AMD product? Good advertising pays for itself.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Which is exactly my point. AMD do need to improve their marketing strategy to hit the non techies.

There will always be a favourite, AMD's strategy in this area could do with improving too, but each time these CPUs get delays and there is another relaunch date I wouldn't be surprised if the store merchandise buyers whom are hearing about the Bulldozer CPU for the first time place a small order. Shops like PCWorld will have pre-ordered Bulldozer months ago in huge quantities in every branch already.

11. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple sells consumer products that even your grandmother can hold and use -- AMD sells enthusiast products that only we care about. The same marketing won't work. Intel getting people to care about Intel chips is a fluke.

I'm guessing they were largely successful because no one had really tried to heavily advertise CPU's before, and since they've already done it, it's very hard to go argue on a price perspective, which is the only thing left. Nobody wants to advertise their company as the "budget" solution.

12. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    In the end we are where we have been sitting for months..... knowing nothing!

13. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    AMD needs to get it's ducks in a row, now they are just starting to look bad, what would be tragic irony would be of the chips aren't worth the wait performance wise.

14. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    No "if" about it at this stage; if Bulldozer was any good, AMD would have rushed to get it to consumers ASAP. But just like Phenom it won't be able to compete with Intel chips, so AMD are holding it back to clear out old stock (and hopefully to fix embarassing hardware bugs *before* the chip is launched).

This pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin in regards to my respect for AMD... ever since the Athlon64 I've listened to the same tired claims, watched the same crappy architecture be called "new" multiple times, seen the same chipset rebranded as an updated model when all it has is support for newer CPUs that no-one can even buy yet. They aren't even trying anymore, and to be honest, if you willingly buy a high-end AMD board at this point... you're a sucker.

[H]@RD5TUFF says thanks.
  15. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    A lot of you guys are worse than a bunch of old women in a beauty shop. I wonder how many free Intel processors Xbit got for doing this.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently you have a very short and or biased memory.

17. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Wow really mr conspiracy theory. . . . AMD could solve all of this by telling us if it's true or not but instead they stay tight lipped and suffer for it. The more negative speculation they allow the worse they look.

It's kinda sad watching AMD flounder like this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  18. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    Exactly when I first read the posted by btarunr... X-bit hasn't got a clue their sources haven't either this is ALL just FUD to grab traffic. Nothing here changes… nothing because they (AMD, pundit, posters, and those sending out dis-information) for whatever their reasoning are all caught up in this game or hoping to "mine" some information.

AMD is holding their cards close, for only reasons they know, and considering launches for graphic products have played that ability before, effectively controling any such real leaks to this point means they have good reason to stay-the-course as they see it. This is the biggest launch of the company; it sets the tone for the new CEO Rory Read. If I/he came in and “got up to speed” and saw some issues, I’d be like... nope let’s get all the ducks in a row. This is a VERY important launch for them, such whining will pass and be forgotten. Just look at how bad Nvidia controlled the Fermi debacle, and now it's water under the bridge. AMD may just be making sure their herbicide is thoroughly mixed…

Nozoned says thanks.
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Valve Time exists. At AMD too.

20. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    ?

21. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    Again... That same thing didn't hurt Nvidia all that much when their new Fermi architecture wasn't all that great.

22. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Per Wikipedia:

23. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    AMD could say somehting and make it all go away in lack of such action silence can just as easily be interperited as confirmation as it can anything else. Instead of screaming fud why not call AMD out on it's shenanigans, they have already delayed twice what one more time. . .:D

meaning it launches when it launches

No doubt I am sure these will sell like hot cakes to all the fan boys who can't let hopes go that AMD can come back and compete with intel, that doesn't make it a good thing.

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah this is hurting AMD. Not releasing on a speculated date based off of a random websites guess is destroying their reputation.

25. omagic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sad news... Atleast some neo fanboy trolls make my mooth beeter ;) I bet that all the "intel+nvidia rulez" kids already forgot what nvidia was late like with the crappy gtx400 series.. And what we got? uber overheating gtx480? oh yeah and the intel is great with their 4 sockets per year politics... ppl pls stop being a blind fanboys and let normal customers wait for cometition and choose whats the best at the moment.