1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Deneb - Designed to overclock - Bit-Tech.net

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnnyfiive, Nov 24, 2008.

1. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11/21/amd-s-45nm-cpus-specifically-designed-for-ocing/1

" In a ravenously positive post on Theo Valich's blog, formerly of Inquirer and TGDaily fame, he claims that AMD has worked specifically with extreme overclockers for the first time in years to achieve a 45nm design that is claimed to work flawlessly from -200C to +100C!

AMD has tweaked the on-die sensor to not lock the part when below zero and AMD techies have apparently worked around cold bugs in the new K10.5 architecture.

Apparently a with a good aircooled heatsink "4.0 GHz is a given on almost every Black Edition CPU that will hit the stores starting January 8, 2009." Watercooling is then claimed to hit 4.5GHz+ and extreme cooling has hit 6GHz in AMD, claims Theo. "

:rockout:

2. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    This is good, but I am at 3.9ghz on my E8400 on water... I could push it further, I'm sure, by messing with voltages and a ton of reboots... but...

So, the question then is, will the AMD architecture and onboard memory controller prevail??

3. ap4lifetn

Thanks Received:
    This sounds great, competition = innovation!

Looks like I'll have both a deneb and an i7 if this keeps up

4. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm pleasantly surprised by all the good news coming from AMD lately, it looks like they finally realized that overclocking and catering to the enthusiasts does sell CPUs. By winning the enthusiasts crowd, or at least part of it, they'll be able to sell more Denebs. Also, glad to see them working with overclockers to reach the 6Ghz barrier, this is something that wasnt done for a while. I truly hope AMD has finally woken up. Even though K10.5 is still based on K8, it looks they went to great lenghts to refine this old architecture, it is afterall the key to a succesful CPU. Hopefully this will pave the way for an entirely new arch in the coming year. I would also like to see some high-end dual core CPUs, black editions and so forth, that have a large amount of cache and overclock very well.

5. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is very exciting. I was playing on getting a Deneb anyways but the more good news I keep hearing, the more I want it now :D

I'm waiting for the 945 for AM3 to come out though... no way am I gonna spending money on an AM2+ when AM3 is so close.

6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Exciting indeed....I was a AMD man till earlier this year...Have to go where the speed is...Hopefuly there back on track!!