1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD First And Last Time >_<

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Live OR Die, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible its some sort of CCC setting issue, seeing how this is his first card could he not be doing something right in CCC?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they're knocking it. Just telling it like it is. TV looks fine to me and I didn't buy it due to it having 120hz or anything. :) I got it at a good price and it's been good to me. Better than the OP's 7970 anyways. He does have a legit complaint. It's been a while since release and there are no WHQL drivers for it yet. Then again, looks like his mind was made up before he even made the thread. Meh, good luck.. Contacting the card's manufacturer for support is probably a good idea.

trickson says thanks.
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I got that from the op too. Good luck. I on the other hand would LOVE to have a card like that! I can not afford to even upgrade from what I have.

4. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Yea I wasn't really bad mouthing it, I mean I have a 32' Insignia with Post-Processing 120hz, great for watching Blu-Ray Movies. I see no reason in having a true 120hz TV since most of my gaming is done on my PC (which has a 120hz monitor :D).

5. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    There have been numerous flicker issues with all the series since I've been around. Depending on when you're getting them is what really determines what's wrong with it.
    When I bought my first 4870, I believe it was XFX's initial release of the cards. I had a flicker issue with it at all times, whether it was on the desktop or playing a game.
    I contacted their tech support and got a reply within 2 hours. Turns out there was something wrong with the BIOS. They had a new BIOS out for it the next day, flashed it and never had an issue with it after that.

Other flickering issues could be the driver although a lot of the time it seems like bad texturing in games. Like in BFBC2 (heavy metal especially), Rage, hell even Crysis one.

6. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    This reconfirms my suspicions. Yes, I do have some fault for not clearly uninstalling my old drivers in Safe Mode. But, having gone through the worst nightmare for 3 days and having to modify countless registery's, reinstalling all the .net frames. drivesweeper, and then having ATI Uninstall screw everything up. So...I said F' it and now I just restored Windows to its default settings via Boot CD. So far, so good, except the Trixx error where you cannot overclock. I am not concerned about that. Just got done restoring my Steam Games. Now, I am going to do some gaming and benchmarking, checking my GPU...

Why you think the WHQL is taking forever...? Because the drivers suck! :banghead: I bet you it will be out by before March 1

7. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'd steer clear of the 7970 series until MUCH later in their lifetime. Currently I have an ASUS 7970 DCUII (not the best compatibility with ccc sadly, doesn't even show gpu activity) which I've learned to live with but man is there problems, I sure do love random bits of in-game scenery disappearing and reappearing (Eg: Road flickering to black and back in Saints Row and entire mountains disappearing for a few moments in the Tera closed beta, same situation in Skyrim).

8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Beats me man, I'm just sticking to the 1/20/2012 drivers that I've been using. Skyrim, BF3, BFBC2, Saints Row 3, Alan Wake, GTA IV, TF2, Crysis, NBA 2K12, Portal 2, STOL, FIFA 12, Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and Minecraft are the games I've been playing. Maxed out clocks in CCC and not a single issue. I also love that fact that I can use things like super-sampling AA in DX11 games now and it works. The longest part in getting a WHQL driver is getting it certified by Microsoft.. That's not saying that AMD should of had the drivers to Microsoft earlier either and unless it is proven that there are significant performance improvements with the WHQL driver when it comes out, I'm sticking with the drivers I'm using.

And no. The drivers don't suck... In my opinion anyways.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. Shurakai

Shurakai New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just looked up the drives released on that day because I'd thought I'd give them a go, but it appears they don't support the 7970? Do you have some modified version of the 12.2 Preview driver? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357787

10. erocker

Thanks Received:
  11. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just went back to the RC11 drivers, since the 12.1 Preview crashed my Crysis 2.

More testing for me...btw what do you have your clocks at and voltages? You said CCC, did you max out withup bumping the energy? I used Trixx and clocked at 1250/1785 @ 1.25v

erocker says thanks.
  12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes. 1125/1575 at stock voltage. For everything I play I don't need anything more. Oh yes, these drivers I'm using are also called RC11. I've only used two sets of drivers with this card the initial January 9th drivers and these RC11's. It's a new archetcture, of course there's going to be a hiccup or two with drivers. This goes for Nvidia as well.

BlackOmega and alexsubri say thanks.
  13. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    What are you complaining about?
    With your CPU @4ghz & your 5770 xfire you should be faster then me in games even with DDR2 ram & at 1600x900 i doubt you would need more to play games with everything at high

Be happy that you got at least a good enough PC to play games with your monitor , better then lots of people out there i am sure ;)

14. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dent1, Horrux and de.das.dude say thanks.
  15. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    You have missed the Edit didn't you? (11:43 PM) ;)

16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  17. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:

Have you had any issues with Sapphire Trixx? Whenever I overclock some of my games crash. I will try only CCC from now on until ATI straighten out there issues with drivers.

Thanks

18. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Try using MSI afterburner instead of trixx.
    I have been using it on a Radeon 5850 to overclock since late 2009, no hickups other than needing to upgrade afterburner once.

I also used an unlocked MSI bios to get it to work.

19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012