1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer On Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by koorosh, Oct 25, 2011.

1. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter it's consumer or enterprise it should have linux support soon enough. Things has changed and you don't need to wait years for linux to support latest hardware. It may be become custom to use linux on your old hardware but it's not necessary, linux runs great on new hardware too.

2. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    R U kidding? The Bulldozer is going to sell out everytime it released. AMD won't be able to meet demand which sucks, it will just take me longer to get one. We do know a B3 revision is coming, we also know AMD know Bulldozer needs to be faster. If they can tweak the design enough it may perform much better than what we have today.

Super XP says thanks.
  3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I understand that but Linux is better imo at using way less resources than a Windows OS..So I don't see the need for Top of the line or newer hardware...oh wait this chip sucks ass...nevermind

You're right because most people don't pay attention to sites like this or are loyal Fanboi's that can't except it's a turd...
    As for the revision..Read between the lines..They are gonna try Higher Clocks and a more efficient IMC...that's not gonna help that much because as it's pointed out again and again it's design flaw in the pipeline...same as Netburst....I'm guessing they will take the same route Intel did with Piledriver

4. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    O.K. I will post this again. Not sure if true, but it makes sense with the revisions based on process steppings. And once again can these minor improvements be enough to "at the very least" blow away any Phemon II CPU out of the water? In my estimation we should be able to see a 10% to 15% bump in performance with this B3 stepping clock for clock vs. the B2 stepping Bulldozer. That IMO is AMD's goal to at least ensure it's faster than the older based gen i.e.: Phenom II's. Acually it now makes a lot of sense and the reason why you cannot find FX 8100's anywhere, because AMD scraped the B2 stepping in favour for the B3 coming either late Dec 2011 or sometime in Jan 2012.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What does this have to do with the current FX chip and Linux? Nothing. Please stay on topic.

LordJummy says thanks.
  6. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    O.K. but I was answering a question. Anyhow my point was the B3 revision may bring performance increases to have them perform better in benchmarks.

7. BenchZowner

BenchZowner New Member

Thanks Received:
    koorosh says thanks.
  8. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just me or do the colors on those grafts burn your eyes too:cry:
    anyway I think Intel and AMD have a deal. AMD makes low end cpus and Intel doesn't enter the GFX market.

9. BenchZowner

BenchZowner New Member

Thanks Received:
    Burn my eyes no, but I'm a bit hardcore, even 12 hrs of continuous battlefield 3 gameplay can't burn my eyes.

I can agree that the colors are a bit funky, not my fault, Swiff Charts Pro decides the colors everytime ( you can change them, but I didn't really thought about the colors it picked this time :p )

10. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    It,s prob my Asus monitor:) it has the no touch buttons and I tend to have piles on my desk that set them off and f the settings up.
    On topic though I think we will see some improvement in linux/win7 with core optimization but in the end it is what it is. A Ford is not a Porsche no matter how much you tweak it.

11. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Bulldozer does O.K. in those benchmarks. But it doesn't say anything about disabling the onboard graphics on the i7 and i5 CPU's.

12. BenchZowner

BenchZowner New Member

Thanks Received:
    The integrated GPU was disabled.
    Enabled or disabled it wouldn't make any difference at all anyway.

13. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    I did somemore digging about todays Benchmarks. check this out :cool:

14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    LOL! Yeah, I have both a 8150 and a 2500K. I don't find myself using the 8150 too much. Why? The 2500K is faster in everyday use and gaming all while using way less power. For servers, BD is a good buy due to it's price... as long as you don't care about the electricity bill.

You know, I see your posts all over the internet.. on other forums. I'm really starting to believe you actually work for AMD and you're just spreading your BS to save face. Am I wrong? If so, what is your motiviation?

If you really want one, PM me. I do ship to AMD headquarters. :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    BenchZowner says thanks.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Still just BS. Show me proof, show me that every user can buy a chip, plug it in, and get different results, and I might start listening. Conjecture on compiler optimizations doesn't help the end user, and until it does, that whole thing is just plain old BS.

Thanks anyway.

And yes, I have a very large BIAS...TO THE TRUTH.:roll:

I've noticed that Turbo isn't working properly on many boards, with cores sitting @ 1400 MHz(idle), while two clock up, even though all should be clocking up to 3300MHz with my chip. This same issue could be happening in every review...do I care?

Nope!

What matters is not what is possible, but what the end user will experience. Change that experience, and then speak up, as until then, it just seems like pulling at straws.

BenchZowner, Damn_Smooth and erocker say thanks.
  16. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    I would wait for you to see Interlagos/Valencia reviews before you infer Zambezi is clocked the same as Interlagos and Valencia :laugh:

17. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Um. Okay? :rolleyes: You missed my point as I'm not really talking about Interlagos/Valencia not to mention it's not the topic of this thread.

18. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    You are inferring that Bulldozer on the desktops is representative of Bulldozer on the servers

19. erocker

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm not. I'm inferring that a Bulldozer desktop chip can be used as a servicable server chip. Either way, it doesn't matter. I own the chip and I deem it a pretty good failure all around. :) Cheers to waiting for a new stepping or whatever. Now please, lets see some charts and graphs that I don't care about.

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  20. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on your 27,000th post. :toast:

21. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    A workstation chip you mean then like the LGA 1366/LGA 2011 platform

22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, though not as efficient.. I think. I don't have much experience with LGA 1366/2011. Brass tacks, BD needs better single threaded performance and lower leakage. Fix that and it's a big win for everyone.

23. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    Improved single threaded performance is coming 2013 with Steamroller
    Leakage improvements is coming 2012 with Piledriver/2014 with Excavator

^-- there is more stuff involved but that is the general idea what you get from the SOG

24. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    They need improved single threaded performance yesterday, not 2 years from now.

BenchZowner says thanks.
  25. erocker

Thanks Received:
    This I know.

This I agree with.