1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz - "Piledriver" for AMD Socket AM3+

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Late 2013 and the only thing I can be sure about for Steamroller is AMD is currently working on it being a 28nm chip.

3. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I think the story about 2014 and AM3+ has never been confirmed by an AMD spokesperson.So
    I think it is still an open book about many steamroller details like what motherboard features, memory, etc.

4. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't be surprised if a Piledriver upgrade pops up earlier next year at 28nm- I believe AMD is trying to get their GPU's and CPU's down to the same node (should be more cost effective that way anyway).

My $0.02....

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    well AMD is know to have long life sockets like AM2/AM2+

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Thats probably true... but was solely talking memory speeds and bandwidth here, not the HT link speed and how higher memory speeds may force you to lower it. I see the correlation and what you are getting at though. There isnt anything like that in the Intel world to mess with. But again standing alone, memory bandwidth is not close to being saturated with dual channel.

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    For me, memory bandwidth plays a large role in Multi-GPU performance, and in a very perceptible way. I agree with your sentiment about memory perforamnce in a big way for everything else though.

EarthDog says thanks.
  9. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    AMD had native USB3 before Intel.. my P67 doesn't have native USB 3...

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Nirutbs

Nirutbs

Thanks Received:
    always nice for the review thx...
    nice chip but it cannot make me from intel....ie...ie

11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I dont run multi GPU setups, so I never experienced that. Thanks for the heads up! I have CrossfireX on the test bench as we speak.. I will see what happens when I cut back from 2666 to 1600Mhz tonight. :)

That still fits in to the 99% thing though (ok, 97% according to steam, LOL?) as most arent using multiple cards anyway. ;)

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    How about Intel hasn't given more than two generations on the step down chipset in forever? LGA1156 lasted what 3 years (late 09-12)?, 1155 is on schedule for maybe 3 as well. AM3 and later AM3+ have been out a while and all boards 890 series and up support BD and PD. AM3+ will be supported a while longer it is already on AMD's roadmaps to stay. So which is the better buy to you? The one you are out another $150+ for a mobo and $200+ for a CPU or drop in steamroller? I am sticking with AMD for that alone.

Memory subsystem meaning what the IMC is integrated into the CPU? Even 790FX can give high ram clocks with subsystem timings changed. PCH? it isn't Intel the North and Southbridge on AMD boards support plenty of PCI-e lanes manufactures just dump standalones onboard. I have a several year old 790FX Gigabyte board with USB3.0, 2 16x slots, 10 SATA ports that supports through Thuban. The 890FX model is the same way with BD and PD support. What is the downside to keeping the old board because it sure isn't a performance or feature issue.

AM3+ is present tech as is Piledriver. With all of the rumors of every company complaining about multithreading which is a better performing chip for the future? The one with a monolithic die fighting for single core IPC or something that multithreads like a champ?

Try and be correct on this one AMD 970 allows for almost all of the same options as a Z77 let alone Z75. For $69.99. So for $289.98 you have a CF/SLi supporting dual 8x motherboard and FX 8350. The cheapest dual 8x board I could find for Intel was a Z77 so that breaks out to $334.98. so 15% more expensive for the same features. Oh and AMD has better performance in multithreading, mildly worse in games if any.

There is no guarantee Intel's timetable will not slip it has happened before and can happen again.

Current cards don't use the bandwidth available in PCI-E 2.0 let alone what is available for 3.0. Future cards are not likely to change that, but either way dual 8x slots will hamper the Intel side of things as it lacks the lanes themselves to transfer the data between the cards. Hence why a 4x slot can handle a single card, but when used for SLi or crossfire it sucks.

13. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Credit where credit is due....

My gosh.......its....NOT ...a....delorean:cool: 2points amd welcome to the 90's no I mean ....?.....20's dont sound cool

14. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    There is no guarantee Intel's timetable will not slip it has happened before and can happen again.

I am predicting right now Haswell will not come out in the 2nd quarter of 2013 as Intel predicts. That is fluff that Intel has produced to freeze the cpu market in their favor and keep any potential customers from jumping to AMD. Going from .22 nm process to .18 nm is a very big jump. Each move down in process size gets that much more difficult to execute.
    I am predicting that Haswell will not be out before the 4th quarter. I give any of you permission to wipe the egg off my face if I am wrong.

15. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    QFPermanence. :p

Production for these are supposed to be starting in December. If that holds true and yields are acceptable, you should have a rag handy. They already showed ONE at IDF I thought.

Last I heard, Haswell was still 22nm...I bet you wan to change that statement now since there isnt a die shrink...too late, you were quoted. :p

That said, 2Q 2013 if they get ramped up in dec/jan, isnt off the charts... especially since they are staying on 22nm process.

16. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I read that Haswell did in fact have a die shrink to .18 nm. Can anyone else corroborate the die size for Haswell? My statement of delay was solely predicated on a die shrink. If I am wrong about the die shrink all bets are off.

17. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: :slap: :shadedshu

Intel (leaked)roadmaps say 22nm, Intel SAID 22nm..........just google. Not a lot comes up with 18nm but when you google 22nm.. its all over from reputable sources. Below is one... from an intel inerview

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2012/09/12/intel-haswell-core/1

EDIT: Broadwell I believe may be the next shrink.

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Wiki still lists 22 nm, the stopping block I see is the swap to LGA 1150. The PCH is shrinking from 65nm to 32nm (finally).

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Man, you guys.

:laugh:

Tick tock, then tick tock,

That's the plan of Intel's process clock.

:shadedshu

20. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Fixed. I didnt botch up that fact and (eventually/potentially)lose a bet because of it!!! But then again, he did renege...

And that rhymed!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  21. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Come on. that is bit unfair. If my whole argument about thmissing their projection is based on
    on a process shrink that is not happening, How did I reneg. I was wrong about the process shrink, yes. Give me a break???

22. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    You made a bet..and pulled it back = renege. It doesnt matter what stipulations/reasons you came up with in your head to have the fortitude to post that comment... that was your REASON for making the bet...you should have your facts straight before opening yourself up to that (Well aware its a simple mistake, just giving you the business!).

You are lucky this isnt a bookie and it WAS a gentleman's bet... Vegas/bookie wouldnt tolerate you attempting to renege becuase you thought Eli Manning was coming back off injury but found out after you made the bet he wasnt. Never make a bet without knowing for sure what you are actually betting on! But I'll send you a rag regardless. Im not wiping off the egg Im chucking at your grill for making a bet based off of misinformation! :p

(Eli isnt injured, just picked someone you may know being a NYker).

Anyway, you are off the hook, just giving you shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  23. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Steamroller should easily be the CPu to directly compete with Haswell :peace:

24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Proof?

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Proof it wont? :slap:

radusorin says thanks.