• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-9590 + MSI GAMING 970

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I have the UD3, I would not buy it again.
That's hardly helpful. :( Why won't you buy it again? Didn't like the color of the RAM slots?

I make most of my builds with Gigabyte boards and have for over 10 years because they work and they keep working. I was sold on Gigabyte long ago when the board on my main computer started freezing and a visual inspection revealed several leaky caps. The board was 3 1/2 years old (6 months out of warranty) but I called Gigabyte anyway and they sent me a brand new board - at no charge. :)

The quality of their products is certainly the main reason I buy Gigabyte. But the quality of their after-sales support is what keeps me going back and recommending Gigabyte. I like ASUS too, but if two boards met my requirements, I would pick the Gigabyte. And I like their graphics cards too.

Actually, when it comes to quality and reliability, most of the big makers are pretty equal. I've had reliable builds with MSI, ASRock, SuperMicro, Intel, Foxconn, Chaintech, and BioStar too. It pretty much boils down to the features you want, and the brand name you are comfortable with.

System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
Do you have an older revision?

Edit: I see you have rev 4 listed. What is your issue?

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Why wouldn't you buy it again? What is your issues?

Like I have said, I have 3 of the boards, 2 rev 4's and a rev 1.1 and all three preform flawlessly and all three are oc'd and I have never had an issue. Also I bought 2 of them used (rev 1.1 and one of the rev 4) and one was from a mining rig.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Bios is buggy, S3 worked for about 6 months and it stopped working now, have to live with Hibernate now. Earlier 970 chipset giga also similar issue, Giga 790GX AM2+ board even at stock settings not so good with 1045T. 2 x 760G boards won't report CPU temps properly, when under load either annoy you with beeps or throttle the CPU, I am not even talking about a FX cpu, a basic PII X2 555. Cheap ECS and MSI boards work way better.

Yes board quality is very good, but what good is the board if bios is not competent enough?

99% of people here don't use S3, so you guys won't see the bug. Overclocking the FX with UD3 also has issues, I have my ranting in the FX owner thread, have to find it tho.

If I have the need for another premium board, I am going to try out MSI or Asus to see how good/bad they are.

System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
Bios is buggy, S3 worked for about 6 months and it stopped working now, have to live with Hibernate now. Earlier 970 chipset giga also similar issue, Giga 790GX AM2+ board even at stock settings not so good with 1045T. 2 x 760G boards won't report CPU temps properly, when under load either annoy you with beeps or throttle the CPU, I am not even talking about a FX cpu, a basic PII X2 555. Cheap ECS and MSI boards work way better.

Yes board quality is very good, but what good is the board if bios is not competent enough?

99% of people here don't use S3, so you guys won't see the bug. Overclocking the FX with UD3 also has issues, I have my ranting in the FX owner thread, have to find it tho.

If I have the need for another premium board, I am going to try out MSI or Asus to see how good/bad they are.

I have had issues with resume from sleep, even on my asus board, at least when having anything other than auto for overclocking settings. But you're right, I don't care to use it.

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard ROG Crosshair VI
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 AIO
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3333 CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung 42" 1080p
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
99% of people here don't use S3
Not sure about that. That said, the BIOS is code written by someone other than the motherboard maker.

FTR, I use hybrid sleep mode on all my W7 and W8 systems (6 and all with Gigabyte boards) and they work fine. That said, going into and coming out of sleep has not worked perfectly consistently since Windows 95 days - PC or notebook, regardless the OS (Linux or Windows) and regardless the motherboard maker. And that leads to my point. I don't think you can blame the BIOS. The BIOS is a program in "firmware" so the settings really cannot result in intermittent behavior. That points to the OS, hardware drivers, or something else beside the BIOS and motherboard - to include some wayward program that is "tasking" the system (although it does not rule out a "Wake on..." setting in the BIOS).

And sleep mode requires the cooperation of many components and software to work properly. And getting all those components to work properly together is the responsibility of the OS, not the BIOS.

The only time I "shutdown" my computer is when I leave town, or if I have to open up the side panel for cleaning or maintenance. And the only time I reboot my computer is when some Windows or security program update requires it. So my computer goes into hybrid sleep mode several times a day, often for weeks on end with no problems - waking up just where I left off. But every once in awhile, I may come back after a couple hours and find my computer is still awake. My monitors are sleeping, but not the computer.

But every single time that happens all I have to do is reboot the computer, and all is good again. That does not suggest a BIOS problem.

System Name ---
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Not sure about that. That said, the BIOS is code written by someone other than the motherboard maker.

FTR, I use hybrid sleep mode on all my W7 and W8 systems (6 and all with Gigabyte boards) and they work fine. That said, going into and coming out of sleep has not worked perfectly consistently since Windows 95 days - PC or notebook, regardless the OS (Linux or Windows) and regardless the motherboard maker. And that leads to my point. I don't think you can blame the BIOS. The BIOS is a program in "firmware" so the settings really cannot result in intermittent behavior. That points to the OS, hardware drivers, or something else beside the BIOS and motherboard - to include some wayward program that is "tasking" the system (although it does not rule out a "Wake on..." setting in the BIOS).

And sleep mode requires the cooperation of many components and software to work properly. And getting all those components to work properly together is the responsibility of the OS, not the BIOS.

The only time I "shutdown" my computer is when I leave town, or if I have to open up the side panel for cleaning or maintenance. And the only time I reboot my computer is when some Windows or security program update requires it. So my computer goes into hybrid sleep mode several times a day, often for weeks on end with no problems - waking up just where I left off. But every once in awhile, I may come back after a couple hours and find my computer is still awake. My monitors are sleeping, but not the computer.

But every single time that happens all I have to do is reboot the computer, and all is good again. That does not suggest a BIOS problem.

Dude, I totally understand what you are saying. S3 sleep was working for 6+ months on the UD3 and suddenly stopped working. Here is what I did to prove S3 on this board is broken (after 6 months of use),

Took a fresh SSD, installed OS, drivers and all crap I use. Tried Sleep, it goes to sleep but when waking up it will reboot the machine will not go into wake state. Moved the SSD without changing anything to a Spare MSI 790FX board (windows complained and updated drivers blah blah), S3 worked flawlessly. So its not the OS, its the crappy board. S5 works flawlessly tho, I have to live with it. Since I have a SSD its not driving me crazy yet.

Its not only S3 that is broken, OCing is also broken. You go and change the multi on the unlocked FX to higher or lower number (disabling turbo), PC will double boot everytime you do a restart, start - cut off power for 1 sec and then boot again. But if you don't touch multi, just OC thru HTT no issues. Similarly touch any of the voltage settings, when the CPU is idling and frequency is dropped to lowest, the voltage still stays at full.

On the 790GX giga board, S3 sleep and wake will work but after few days, it will make the SSD crawl slower than a snail, OS will be stalled to a point it will not respond, have to shut off power and power back on, it will work again until the next freeze point.

ECS board on my server never missed a beat, sleep, wake, sleep... from June 2008 and yes its OCed too, running a PII 810.

I don't want to hijack this thread, we can take this to the FX OC thread, where Johan tried to help me out but I gave up on this board.

May be you are lucky but I am done with Gigashit!!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry, but you didn't prove anything. Why? Because of this,
windows complained and updated drivers blah blah
And once again, the BIOS is written by the BIOS maker. And finally, since it worked for 6 months, unless you flashed the BIOS and then it broke, that again does NOT point to the board, but rather elsewhere.

So it is clear you don't like Gigabyte and that's your choice. But sorry, you need to pick a different reason.

System Name Mats.
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4.0 ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Socket-1151
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i GTX CPU Kjøler
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 / Looking for upgrade
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5” SSD/ Western digital 250gb / ST 250gb / Westert digital 1tb
Display(s) AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540 Cube Case Hvit
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W PSU
Mouse Microsoft Intelli 3.0
Keyboard Microsoft wireless
Software Windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores DONO
A guy told that the FX-8000 series don't overclock well on the MSI GAMING 970..
Any have some information on that ?

If you are going to keep stock then yes the 95w will run cooler and consume bit less power. If you are overclocking then either one doesn't matter (though I have heard the 95w clocks better).

Either way, after you install it, join the FX owners club and you can get lot of inputs on how to OC that FX.

FX @ 4.2 to 4.4 is good for gaming as well as 'sane' power consumption. More than that I don't see any benefits.

Could you link me the FX owner club site ?

Not with an overclocked FX8000 series CPU, not enough power phases. If it could handle it, then MSI would list the 9370 and 9590 as compatible. An attempt could end up killing your motherboard and CPU.

Now I have a 3.7 ghz clock with the thuban, and on full load, blend test.. the vrm was never over 50c, would it be much of an diffrence on the 8350/8370 etc? Is it confirmed ?if so i can wreck the thougth on buy it.. and focus on new motherboard.

Look at this

"
The FX-8370e is a little bit more interesting, but we are hitting the same wall as the regular 8370. It is a lower voltage device that runs at a base clock of 3.3 GHz. Taking the voltage up by about 0.03v and it quickly and easily hits 4.5 GHz. It only hit 4.7 GHz with an extra 0.06v applied. I believe that the binning process on these chips are not necessarily friendly to high overclocks, but rather more efficient performance with all four modules and reasonable clockspeeds.

I may have been able to achieve better results with a more robust motherboard than the MSI 970 Gaming. The board proved very stable throughout testing, but I would not doubt that I could have achieved some extra speed with the Asus Crosshair V F-Z. Still, that board will be a very popular option for those looking for max features at the lowest possible price for the AM3+ socket market.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...70-and-FX-8370e-Review/Power-and-Overclocking
"

Last edited:
System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
If you are gonna buy a new cpu and mb you might as well go intel. You just got this PC and if it's running well why change it? :)

System Name Mats.
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4.0 ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Socket-1151
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i GTX CPU Kjøler
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 / Looking for upgrade
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5” SSD/ Western digital 250gb / ST 250gb / Westert digital 1tb
Display(s) AOC 24" LED G2460PQU
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540 Cube Case Hvit
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W PSU
Mouse Microsoft Intelli 3.0
Keyboard Microsoft wireless
Software Windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores DONO
If you are gonna buy a new cpu and mb you might as well go intel. You just got this PC and if it's running well why change it? :)

Intel is intresting, migth do that...

I don't know.. In battle field i'm not able to get good fps. only 30-40. on low setting..

And after I got my 144hz screen. The fps has dropped dramaticly in cs go aswell. and in war of thunder also.

The most logic thing would be to buy a better prossesor and gpu tho :p Or just keep it, as it is at this point, and wait for skylake ;)
Do anyone know what prices will be on skylake ?

See the edit of the previous post.

OFFTOPIC, Is it best to shut down pc every evening before i got to sleep.. or can it just idle.. any thougths on that subject ?

Last edited:
System Name ---
I think your board supports CF at 8x+8x, may be if you get a cheap used 270X you can try it out. But like I mentioned before NV 970 GPU would give you better performance even with your current CPU and board.

And one more thing if you are going FX 8 core and non NV high end video card, consider buying more wattage good PSU.

If you are going Intel, then no worries with PSU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-fx-ocers-club.153443/page-170

Last edited: