1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by pantherx12, Oct 12, 2011.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is with just my computer plugged into my UPS with only IBT running. CPU @ 5ghz:

[​IMG]
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

What voltage is that at?

Does power-consumption go up a lot with just overclocking aswell?

For example if you just ran the chip at 4ghz on stock volts.
  4. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/11

Well I did not realize it but considering a Thuban at 4.2 draws well over 300W looks like the power usage did not increase. It just was not improved.

Yes. Its not an magnitude increase but it does increase exponentially.

First 1 GHz (making up numbers) might require +100W the second GHz might increase +200W for a a total of +300W over stock. Thats just an example and not based on actual power consumption testing.

Its leaky silicon and has been done before to get insane clock speeds
    erocker says thanks.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Spot-on. I believe the chip was at 1.475v for this.
  7. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    what APC you using Erocker? 1000W?
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a 700w battery backup, though I bought it more for the line conditioning and the LCD display thingy. :D

I have an old house with somewhat old electrical wiring and these things work great for that.
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  9. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    i find that hard to believe tbh , how on earth are you cooling it ? :nutkick:
  10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It's being cooled my a triple 120 radiator, mcp355 pump and a EK Supreme WB. Temps at 5ghz are on the cusp of being too hot. Believe it.

Or..

Believe that I have a secret agenda because my life is so dull I need to make shit up on the internet. :) I don't care either way. :toast:
    HammerON and DrunkenMafia say thanks.
  11. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    :eek:
    erocker says thanks.
  12. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I can grab the 600w version here with the led display. Im just using the 350 and that was the main reason I run it... nice clean stable power... even though where I live we already have a stable grid unlike you poor Americans ;)
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So voltage is fairly high at-least.

It's just I've only a 750w PSU so wondering if I'll be able to overclock at all :laugh:
  14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I currently have it on an older Crosair TX850w at 4ghz 1.3v. I'll check the power consumption when I get home. :) *Also currently being cooled by a H60.

@FiF, no my "grid" is fine :laugh: I just have old wiring in my house.
    pantherx12 and fullinfusion say thanks.
  15. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. See, they call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels"; but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course I ain't never been to London, and I ain't never seen France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd seen in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.
  16. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    I choose this. :rolleyes:

on a serious note, what do you guy's think of the chances of GF refineing the 32nm process enough and AMD doing some stuff for the b3/c0 stepping to reduce some of that leakage at the 4 to 4.5ghz range, maybe geting power to between 300/350watts, by early q1 next yr?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  17. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    GF is out of the picture I believe... Im thinking the shitty silicon GF put together for BD made AMD go elsewhere. But who knows?
  18. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
  19. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD would have no where else to go, at least for BD. Also i wouldn't be just blaming GF. having to produce completely new designs on a new process isn't easy, with hindsight i'm actually surprised AMD didn't make a couple pipecleaner PII chips. It might have been better to postpone at least the consumer BD part.... but this is getting off topic so i'll just stop there.
  20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. FYI, there are news articles out there about AMD going to TSMC due to Glo-flow not being up to par. But, yeah let's save the speculation and newsy type stuff for the other BD threads.

Thanks. :)
  21. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I need to know for 100% sure what the asus CH5 manual means for what slot to place the memory for best performance? It must be a poor Chinese translation when they wrote the manual. It says for best overclocking performance install the DIMM's from the red slot? what the hell does from the red slots mean? In the red slots? in the black slots?
    If they belong in the red slots then why dont they just say...

For better overclocking and performance insert the DIMM's into the red slots!!!

from the red slots? WTF :wtf:
  22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    What's not to understand? :confused:
  23. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    from the red slots? I see alot of ppl using the black slots thats why im asking..
  24. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Idk? I use the red slots and don't have an issue. :)
  25. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    see the crosshair 4 had the slots red,black,red,black and memory was installed into the #1 and #3 red slots... plus the manual says to install into the red slots...A1 and B1

The crosshair 5 is black,red,black,red... and says to install from the red slots...
    Page 2-6 2nd paragraph