1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by pantherx12, Oct 12, 2011.

1. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice OC johnny:D makes me want one just to hit numbers!
    Whats your temp[ or did I miss it ] and anyway of telling the cores that are locked I'm guessing a whole mods disabled.
  2. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Temps are in the hi 50s to low 60s during ITB and prime. This board is pretty weak though. It has only four phases and it has the same throttling issues that the Gigabyte boards have. I really hope a BIOS release comes out that has a LLC fix and throttling fix. If not, oh well, the board was $85. Advice, if you plan on going with a Bulldozer setup and you plan to really OC it to its limits, you NEED a top tier board. I believe Asrock, Gigabyte, and even MSI have random throttling issues. I guess the only other options are Biostar and ASUS.
  3. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  4. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
    nt300, Irony, Daimus and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not bad!
    johnnyfiive says thanks.
  6. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    This board has so much vdroop oh em gee.
    Nearly a full 0.1, 0.08. :eek:
  7. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Can you please tell TPU-guru&professionals how to increase the frequency of NB? I heard that the increased NB frequency increases L3-cache throughput. Should i bump voltage? Up to what value?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for doublepost, forgot about the voltage.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I just installed my new FX8120. Big cheers to Tigr who hooked me up with a new one.

Haven't done any testing yet but I will do some tomorrow. So far its running beautifully.

I had a massive scare when I opened my case today to see fluid had been dripping from my cpu block onto 5870 #1 and then dribbling off there to 5870 #2. Both my pcie slots were all green too. I started getting bsods about 3 days ago and I reckon this was the culprit.
  10. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    There should be a CPU NB speed value in the BIOS. I believe its best to keep it at 2600 being highest, but from what I've seen most keep it below 2600. Safe voltages for the NB appear to be around 1.32-135v max, 1.30v is usually what I'm seeing for higher HT clocks. It really depends on how hot your CPU is getting before you start increasing the NB voltage and value though. Increasing the NB voltage will increase your temps so you have to find the happy medium to stay in the safe temp range.
    Daimus says thanks.
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Is this under air cooling? Shouldn't ran that many volts through it dude going to degrade you're cpu pretty quickly.

The fx chips have the same temperature problem as the phenom chips as well, when overclocked they read much colder than they are so be careful as you're probably running a lot lot hotter than you think. (unless you're aware of this but seems you've not adjusted temps considering 42 is highest temperature you get under a air cooler)
  12. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Johnnyfiive, thanks a lot for the numbers safe voltage. I will try to raise the NB frequency. System cooling is all right.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    I know all of this all too well pantherx12. I was just going for the highest bootable that I could validate. I ran it at 1.6v for all of about, 2 minutes, and of course I didn't even bother putting any load on it. The max voltage I will run 24/7 is 1.45v, but again, thats all relative to the temps. ;)
  14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Just making sure man, I know you're savvy as they come ;)
    johnnyfiive says thanks.
  15. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    SO... I am having some strange results with my 8120 so far.

@4.5ghz I am getting 30 gflops using IBT. My 1090 was around 73.
    Pi score (1m) is about 21 seconds. 1090 - 17 seconds.

WTF.

I still need to tweak my ram as it is running 1600 Cas9.

Still haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet. Hopefully these results will improve immensely. On the other hand I did play a quick round of bf3 and it ran well and definitely felt smoother than my 1090. May have just been a good server though :)

Another thing that has gotten my attention is coretemp. The processor sits around 35c but as soon as you max out 8cores it jumps up to 55c instantly. If you keep the cores maxed out the temp slowely lowers to about 52c. I actually saw it hit 58c for a second then it dropped back down.
  16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like throttling.

You MUST MUST watch the speed of ALL CORES when stress testing. I found that all but one core was dropping to 1400 MHz, and there is seemingly a few boards that have this problem..not sure if it's BIOS, CPU or what yet, but it is something you need to look for. Would also explain the temp drop once loaded.

you can right-click where it says "core" on CPU-Z to see listings for all cores:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• cpuz.jpg
      cpuz.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    nt300, Daimus and DrunkenMafia say thanks.
  17. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Just a question, I tried right-clicking where it says cores with my current Phenom II and it looks like it's greyed out. It won't work for me.
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Try right on the word "core". Or try the same version I am using, maybe. Not too sure why it's not working for you. Works fine on my FX test rig.
    nt300 and Daimus say thanks.
  19. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I found the throttling thing in CCC, I don't know about BD but the default setting in CCC is 800mhz at idle, but you can adjust it so it doesn't throttle at all. I was having the same issue. I got my new mobo, and was running some benchmarks, and with superpi 1M I was getting like 27 seconds, and before I got 17. so I was looking around and found that in CCC, (after I spent 45 mins. searching BIOS) and adjusted it so that it only cuts it to 2400 at idle. then when superpi started it came up to full speed and I get 16.1 secs.

(I have a screenie attached)

Attached Files:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    ^
    What if you just disable the cpu option in the CCC? Or does it not matter?
  21. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    CPU overdrive is already disabled in mine, but the idle speed is still adjustable.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Application Power Management (APM) needs to be disabled in the BIOS as well to completely remove throttling. There are some boards with early BIOS releases that have no option to disable APM.
    nt300, Daimus and cadaveca say thanks.
  23. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I can't remember seeing anything to do with APM on my UD5. Will have another look tonight..

I am also getting another strange problem with my CPU vcore in bios - Sometimes I turn pc on and the std vcore is 1.275 then sometimes its 1.475!! I have + 0.150 volts on cpu set so when it does say 1.475v it displays my actual cpu volts as 1.625!!!!!

Not sure what to trust. I let it boot to windows at 1.625 (supposedly) and opened cpuz, it displayed my core as 1.425 (1.275 + .150). I wonder if this has anything to do with my massively high temps on startup as windows loads then they drop back once at desktop?? :eek:

I also can't find anything in my bios regarding LLC (load line calibration) is that just an ASUS setting? Do GB have something similar, I have a CPU PLL voltage but am having trouble identifying what that is exactly, its 2.5v on auto.
  24. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    My asrock has Load Line Calibration.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. bacan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's my piggy ;)
    It overclocks well up to 4.5GHz 1.38V fully stable. When it passes 1.4V it starts to heat so badly that it reaches 80C in linx and such in just a few minutes. It is one of those samples with default VID 1.2625V and apparently those are the worst high leakage chips of all.

Attached Files:

Daimus says thanks.