1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by pantherx12, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    This is better than the Corsair H 100 series?

os2wiz says thanks.
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Yes. They estimate at load 4 degrees celcius cooler than H100. The tubing is an 1/8 inch greater diameter than Corsair but is more flexible. Please check out their website, but better yet the forum on overclocker,.com for Swiftech. They are going to give Corsair a run for their money. They have been in the water cooling business for years, but not AIO. They manufacture their own pumps and radiators to keep their quality standards high.Their fans are quieter than Corsair while offering good air flow. They will be marketing in Canada at that chain NC something or other . I never remember their initials.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Yes! The Corsair liquid coolers are made from outsourced components. Their radiators are aluminum and are made by the same company that produces radiators for Thermaltake and the other schlock brands. An all copper radiator is a better disperser of heat than an aluminum radiator. Custom water loops use copper radiators. Also the pump on Corsair H100 is a pathetic 1.7 watts versus the 5 watt pump that Swiftech designs and manufactures themselves for the H220 and H320. They demoed their new product at the C,E,S. In Las Vegas a few weeks back. Will be sold at that large Canadian computer retailer that begins with an N. Sorry I forgot the name but NC something or other. Checkout Swiftech's forum on overclocker.com

4. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Sold my rig.....Going to build a beast, but I'm gonna wait it out until the summer. I'm still going to be on TPU everyday though, it's an addiction :)

5. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    m
    Hope your staying with AMD. By late summer they should have a updated release of Vishera CPUs

nt300 and ...PACMAN... say thanks.
  6. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Good to know, thanks. Who knows what I will go with atm, Intel/Nvidia/AMD I'm no fan boy so I shall assess the best options when the time comes and take it from there. Either way, I'm going to do it the right way this time and have a system that meets my now hefty requirements (Which really is just max gaming with smooth framerates plus a bit of media encoding ability)

High quality components, no skimping and hopefully, relatively quiet. I'm excited and yes, it will test my patience to wait but that build up to the actual day of getting your goodies and then ensuring the setup is tidy is the best bit I reckon. Other than the benching, gaming and stuff once it's up and running of course :)

7. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I've wacked my FX-6300 upto 4.1ghz seeing as that is what it will turbo boost to. I am on the stock cooler and the most ive seen it get upto is 51c. I do ofcourse want it to go higher, hopefully 4.4/4.5Ghz. What budget/good cooler can I get to do the job of keeping it below 60c?

Ideas on a postcard :)

8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Any after market air cooler is better than the stock. You can also try the Corsair H70 or H60 i think, good value and great performance.

Alcpone says thanks.
  9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    I use a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with one fan even at 1.5v vcore i don't see anything over 52*

Alcpone says thanks.
  10. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Do the FX chips have individual core temp thermometers? Mine are showing exact same temp which dont seem right.

11. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    FX core temp sensors are fubar mine read lower then ambient temps yet the motherboard cpu temp reading is right.
    Even that is wrong at idle I get sub 20* readings
    [​IMG]

12. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Oh dear, not good when you want to know temps when clocking, mine isn't that bad. What does the TMPIN0/1/2 read? Is any of them for the chipset?

13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    tmpin 0 1 are motherboard tmpim 1 may be vrm but im not sure.
    For safety sake i leave hardware thermal control on to prevent meltdown, i figure if anything the chip will know its too hot and throttle since nothing else can read it properly.

14. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Good idea, here's a screenshot of mine atm. Possibly 1 and 2 could be chipset?

Attached Files:

15. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    u have no vrm cooling on the DS3 right ? that would lead me to believe tmpin 1 is VRM, 0 is NB and 2 is CPU like mine

you should be careful with voltage with those vrm's they will burn up and 65* is pretty much the limit for temps on FX IIRC
    Basicly dont push that any further without better CPU cooling and some heat sinks on the VRM

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Alcpone says thanks.
  16. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I've got a 80mm fan blowing in from the case onto the chipset area, the NB gets hot even at stock and idle, I might get my digital thermometer out and have a probe about. I have only bumped the voltage up 1 notch in the bios, I did that only because OCCT came back with a error after 10-20 secs or so at 4.1Ghz, it still comes back with the error with the slight voltage increase but the system runs ok. Prime95 doesn't seem to stress all the cores for some reason?

17. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    correct AVX enabled Linpac works best on real multicore CPU i use occt as well because prime does jack squat i can run an hour of prime at 4.8ghz under 50* AVX linpac errors within minutes and hits near 60*.

Alcpone says thanks.
  18. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I will get some of those little aluminium heatsinks, should help to get some heat away from them. Cheers

19. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I have managed the highest eco over clock ive ever got 4.743 with turbo off and all economy features on .I can force it full clock in Windows or have it idleing at 1.5ghz.
    Seems to me it likes to manage its own power with me mearly allowing between 1and 1.5 vcore
    Mine neads lapping its IHS is dished in a bit

More than 25k PPD
  20. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    So since I got my 8320, I've been stable at 4.7 for 24/7 use. Has anyone been able to get there 83xx stable at 5GHz using air or AIW cooler? I had my chance back in January (when Tucson was at its coldest) but I wasn't able to get 5GHz stable. Now that spring is coming, I can forget about 5GHz lol.

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I've got to 5 stabley .but it needed lots of corev and then got too hot over time.
    I lapped it at the weekend and it was dished in significantly to the point that the tim wasn't looking good on removal.
    I took stepped photos and imho its oddly concave .not any more though :)

Im waiting a short time for the tim to set and the spare time to have another go at 5+

More than 25k PPD
  22. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    5ghz was needing too much cpu voltage, like upwards of 1.65. more than I wanted to do. Never got it completely stable, as thats as many volts as I was willing to push. Also quite a bit toastier than I want. I'm seriously considering water now, getting some parts picked out. I'll have a build thread whenever that happens

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    its interesting that voltage deltas are pretty much the same as the Athlon XP days

24. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I've got my new cooler heading to me so I'm looking forward to getting my chip faster, I've got some heat sinks enroute for the fets. Happy days :)
    Is it just a matter of upping the multi and giving some more juice? Will my ddr 1600 run any faster with any great performance boost?

25. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Ya, the way I do it is just raise the multi one click, boot up and check for stability with prime95 or IBT and then if it isn't stable raise the voltage one and try it again.

What cooler do you have coming?

As far as I know CPU clock doesn't have much effect on memory performance. NB tends to be what helps in that regard, along with memory speed and timings of course.