1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by pantherx12, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    This is because the core temperature reported by the on-chip sensor isnt really accurate up till a certain point.
    Amd's temperature sensor only becomes accurate from 45C and up, so if your temperatures are below 45C, chances are the socket sensor will report something like 40, while the core temps will be still hoovering somewhere close to 30-35.
    Alcpone says thanks.
  2. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    That explains alot, thanks.

What are peoples thoughts on upping the NB? Is it best to find the highest stable clock on the CPU then start upping the NB speed? Does it need to be in any kind of ratio to the RAM etc? Bit of a noob on clocking the NB tbh.
  3. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    A link providing some insights in what part of the CPU leads to different kinds of performance benefits:)

In short, Higher is usually better, even when it comes to the FSB. Personally, I could go up to about 2560MHz on the NB before things started getting a bit unstable(weird quircks, not benchmark unstable perse), but ofc this may differ per CPU.

I'm not aware of any ratio between the NB and ram. It'll be fine for as long as the NB is clocked higher than the ram(iirc).
    Alcpone says thanks.
  4. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Another good bit of info, appreciate it muchly :rockout:
  5. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Just OC'd my new chip

[​IMG]
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
  7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    if that's stable under prime would you be willing to test it with OCCT AVX linpac for an hour im really curious to see if prime is missing things or linpac is throwing false errors.
  8. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    My CineBench 11.5 Scores

[​IMG]
  9. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    yea its stable its been running for awhile with no errors. And sure i could do that
  10. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Nice OC. I thought prime95 was gash for testing FX chips? I am probably going to settle on 4.3Ghz as it's getting towards 60c after a good while stressing, anything higher needs more volts (1.30v @ 4.3) so this is probs my limit for long term safety's sake. I have tinkered with my HT link speed and upped that 200Mhz, don't know if it will make any difference, will have to find a decent enough free benching software, I only have passmark and furmark installed atm.
  11. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Board won't let me go any higher than 4.4GHz. When i tried 4.5 system wouldn't boot
  12. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Maxed out at 56c and didn't go any higher
  13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    did it error tho that's what im really concerned about, whether OCCT AVX linpack is faulty or prime is not finding errors.
  14. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Yes you would definitely need to upgrade your board to a Sabertooth if you want to overclocking to 4.6 GHZ or so. 4+2 phase control is very limitying for overclocks . Can't properly handle voltage and heat issues.
  15. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    According to This database, the VRM's should be good enough to handle some more load, with a 6+2 phase system.

Perhaps he could try to OC a bit with the FSB, to see if he can get over 4.5GHz?

Edit: also, you might want to play with the other voltages a bit, sometimes this can also help with reaching higher clocks.
    Furthermore, tuning the VRMs a bit by for an instance allowing more CPU current to run through the CPU.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  16. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Does that board have full LLC settings?? If not it makes it a lot more painful. I would still put a fan on the VRMS if nothing else to help with the temps. I have seen a bunch of boards mentioned here and on overclock.net that are 6+2 phase design that still give people problems. Perhaps the capacitors are not high enough quality???
  17. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, putting some cooling on the VRM's is always a good idea. However, I suspect that there is something else the matter here, probably it is either current-limited, some voltage other than Core voltage needs to be upped, or the VRM's need to be tuned in another way.

According to the asus site, the board is quite feature rich when it comes to overclocking.

Therefore, I suggest that you set the:
    CPU and NB current capability to 130% and 120%,
    Load line calibration to high, or ultra high,
    and if possible, turn on all the power phases at all times(if the board has this option)

Furthermore, if you want to get over 4,4GHz I would stay by my advice of trying the FSB aswell as the multiplier.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  18. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    No errors
  19. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Its 6+2 power phase not 4+2
  20. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Yes it has full LLC settings
  21. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Your volts are really good. Isn't that a bit undervolted? Helps keep it cooler. I think you could probly go another 100mhz maybe without worrying too much.

@durvelle: just a friendly tip, its usually best to edit one post multiple times than to double or triple posts. ;) nice score in cinebench btw, I think thats better than mine at that speed
    Alcpone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    It shows up in aida64 as about 1.33v under full load. I thought 60 was the most these chips could take? I don't want to kill it way before its time. It handles everything well barring FSX with loads of thick clouds, clearish weather is a doodle though. I've thought about clocking with the FSB abit but can't really be bothered tbh lol
    os2wiz says thanks.
  23. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Actually the recommended maximum sustained temperature is 62 Celsius.
  24. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I think thats about the temp limit I would want to keep it at. But you said it only gets that hot during lengthy stress tests? Does it ever get that hot in FSX? I don't really know much about how much FSX can load your CPU.

Idk, to each their own on temps. With mine if I test it with IBT on extreme or whatever the highest setting is, I accidently got up almost to 70c. But during gaming it never gets that hot of course, highest I saw was close to 50. Still WAY warmer than I want. Thats why I'm looking into water cooling.

I'm wondering if its maybe this As5. I really don't like it that much; with noctuas NT-H1 stuff that came with my cooler, I got 40c max on my 1090t @4.2, and with As5 it would get to like 53c I think. It seems like a huge difference, I don't think I was applying too much or anything.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    In FSX only 3 cores are running at full tilt, the others which I assume will be the modules are running at varying speeds depending on terrain etc, so it never gets too toasty, I think 4.3 is a sweet spot that it will happily chug along at, a 800mhz bump in speed is nothing to be sniffed at and as I say it handles every game I throw at it. So i'm happy enough. I may possibly wack the stock HSF in the case to cool the chipset abit as I have seen that get fairly hot, I think 65c is abit toasty for long periods. I still can't work out how the cores are cooler than the cpu itself?