1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX OC'ers Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by pantherx12, Oct 12, 2011.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    im totally new to watercooling.... im old and think water and electric nnaaaaaaatttttt!!!

but that sounds interesting however a 120mm on top of a 240? overkill? hmm i like.

i may just put a list together for a custom loop and buy bits at a time, least i can keep the parts and transfer it between builds.

but i dont know where to start lol :fear:

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    120 for the CPU and the 240 for GPU's, as they output more heat, therefore need more dissipation.

You'd get more performance in most games by overclocking a GPU than a CPU unless you play Total War, SC2, Civ 5 (i.e. RTS Games), that's why I like to ensure my GPU's are cooled to their hearts content, CPU doesnt matter so much.

d1nky says thanks.
  3. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    so the swiftek can do this?! or you meaning for a custom loop?

if i went custom id just cool my cpu with a 240 because im xfiring one day soon. then add another 240 for the cards. and yea im planning on benching/overclocking/gaming and showing off.

damn im already thinking about a custom loop and havent even decided on water yet lol

but id fill the fuckas up with ice water for that lol

4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    The swiftech is basically a custom loop disguised as an AIO unit- check out the video clips with Gabe discussing it on the Swiftech website iirc they are running this unit in one the videos with a pair of video cards added to the loop ;)
    Adding in a GPU:
    H220 VGA Expansion - YouTube

Interview w/Gabe @ CES
    CES 2013: Swiftech - YouTube

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    d1nky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... looks good in that theres room for upgrade/extension but if i were to choose that route i may as well go custom.

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Start by planning out what you want to achieve now ,gpu blocks are expensive but well worth the money if you keep gfx cards a while ie two years or more and water does wonders for gpu ocin and stability but they do require a decent rad/rad area , cpus do clock better but it isn't really worth the effort for ingame performance , benches yeah just no effect for games but then it is quiter.

d1nky says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  7. Davidjackhill123 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need advice on my CPU cooler

Hey everyone I'm 16 and from ni and I am at last building my first computer my mother board is a gigabyte ga 970a ud3 atx am3 and my graphics card is a gigabyte radon hd 7850 2gb.
    The processor that I am installing is an amd fx 8320 and I think I might have a problem with the CPU coller I have already bought it's a coller master 212 evo with 2 fans the original 1 and a xmateck xlf series fan and i am worried it won't be powerful enough to cool my CPU can anyone put me to rest or give me a solution or if I have nothing to be worried about :banghead::toast: cheers lads

8. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    a few guys use the hyper evo on fx 8 cores, granted its not The best but it will work fine, and its much better than stock cooler, especially with two fans.

just make sure the fans are the correct way round. and congrats on building ya first pc.

loads of us here to help.

Davidjackhill123 says thanks.
  9. Davidjackhill123 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

Thanks dude that's one of many things sorted for now and the future one a again thanks

10. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    Davidjackhill123,

I have the FX 6300 with the Cooler Master 212 with the push/pull set up.

My CPU is OC'd by 700Mhz and runs nice and cool.

Just start off slow with your clock increases and watch your temps.

OCCT is a good tool for benching as it gives your voltages, temps etc. along with an error report (if there is one)

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

11. Davidjackhill123 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fans

And buy the way guys do I need a 4 pined fan for second fan on the cooler or will any fan work

12. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    you can use a 3pin, i have two 3pin fans on both my 4pins!

4 pins means pulse width modulation, which means the fans can change speeds dynamically without voltage change. but a 3pin will work fine on your board, and exactly the same

13. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    I am running the 4 pin fan that came with my cooler which idles at 530ish RPM and spins up to 1900 RPM when needed. Then my pull fan is a 3 pin and runs at approx. 1200 RPM at all times.

Right now the ambient temp in my home is 75F and my CPU is sitting at 37C or 98F

That is with my FX 6300 OC'd to 4200mhz when it would normally be 3500mhz stock.

I hope this is useful info for you :)

14. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    does a 3pin connected to 4pin header not change fanspeed on your board?

i read up about this and if i remember, the board should recognise analog (3pin) and 4pin (pwm/ basically digital) and can change volts or 'pulse' accordingly!

15. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
    What is default vcore of your fx6300?
    Did you increase any voltage to reach that OC?
    If yes, which voltage: Cpu, Cpu-NB, NB, HT, SB?

I have the same motherboard (970 extreme 4) and my fx6300 should arrive soon so any tip or advice will be helpful. ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  16. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    qu4k3r,

I responded to your PM :)

17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    That is a nice OC, though personally I would drop down to at least 1.4v if you can and run your setup at perhaps 4.70GHz like I am. that Voltage is too high IMO for the FX chips.
    Check out my system specs,
    Usually regular case fans (Any Fan) are not recommended for direct CPU cooling, whether it be for a CPU heat sink and/or a water cooling rad, though depending on the quality of course.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  18. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Im running the same speed as you at the moment with most eco features on bar Apm it idles at 1500 or obv can be held at max which is nice I did notice a few things causing high temps like the internal nb and imc area but my actual individual core temps increase rapidly to 60º before leveling off above 1.5Core v.

Im going to reclock it soon .

More than 25k PPD
  19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Wow, you have a OC of 4.90GHz, very nice indeed :toast:, though I cannot live with a 60C temp. When you re-clock try to aim for a possible 1.4v, this seems to be the sweet spot voltage to keep temps down, at least below 55C via water cooling that is.
    I got my setup to 4.70GHz w/8-Cores and a Bus of 277 with a 1.4v for the CPU. "Very" minor bumps in voltage for the HTT and the NB volts. I don't think the speed boost of an extra 200MHz is worth pushing the CPU vCore higher than 1.4v IMO.

20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I went more multi 220vref as beyond that I got instability odd but like you it seamed too hot i mentioned nb and imc because I noticed very high temps of those using high nb nem , well everything ocd 2133mem 2575 nb and ht 4.9 cpu ,often shows higher ((5+ ))but regular llc as other settings caused mega heat in cpu.

More than 25k PPD
  21. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. My board at the bios boot screen always shows different speeds, like for instance 4.77GHz, 4.89GHz, 4.40GHz, 4.56GHz and so on, but in Windows and in the BIOS it shows the correct speed of 4.70GHz to 4.71GHz. Humm?

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    its an asus thats why

23. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I've never had any issues with ASUS motherboards and I have been running their products for a long, long time.
    Are they going through a bad spell now or recently?

24. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    had issues all over with the Crosshair V first DOA (cpu_led), 2nd was still not FX ready as mentioned on pkg, needed to be flashed with older CPU and killed itself suddenly (cpu_led) after few month
    rest hardware is 100% ok

and yeeeah Asus ROG forum is full with that issue

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This certainly doesnt prove you never had issues with them otherwise youd be running Asus Huh lol, i see too many reports of troubles with Asus across the globe plus my own experience and customer machines i repaired prove they been problematic for several years now