1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX processors won’t get Steamroller cores in 2014

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by tigger, Nov 23, 2013.

1. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
  2. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    its all over the net, makes me laugh when people have been waiting. see this and then buy a haswell setup!

3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Im not to worried realy as the FX8350 runs anything I throw at it with ease and with everything going AMD in console Im sure there is many years left in it as the software improves.

You never know with AMD they might sneak in a Desktop CPU at anytime next year, but I can understand the push of the mobile CPU's as thats what everyone is buying.

Its shame if we wont see any Steamroller Desktop CPU's but at the same time not its not a big lose either.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    We'll have desktop Steamroller CPUs, they just aren't going to be the high performance CPUs. AMD's focusing on the mid-range APUs, where people are actually buying.

I'd like to see an 8-Core Steamroller on AM3+, I'd like to see 28nm performance CPUs from AMD, but I can understand why they aren't focusing their efforts there.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I might be able to "circle the airport" for one more year, but if they don't have a high(er) performance X86 solution by then on market or on the horizon I'll build a new Intel PC.

6. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Guess who wont be getting any of my money in 2014, I'm done waiting for AMD to get their act together.

7. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I gave up waiting a few months ago for amd, when a 3770k dropped in my lap for 100 bucks I jumped on it and haven't looked back.

8. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    Intel is not getting my money. If AMD freezes the FX line then I'll happily stick with my Phenom II and ride the threaded wave.

9. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I'm in no hurry for steamroller. But I would like to see a refresh of the Piledriver, perhaps with more cache, tighter latency and better refinements just to keep the enthusiast community going.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    So...AMD leaves the top performance market as it is (FXs are good, anyway) and attacks the Pentium/i3(possibly lower-i5 too) segment. Interesting. Hope it works.

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they have more sales in the lower market segments, so they are not spending more money/time on the high end market?

12. sulfur

Thanks Received:
    FX 9590 + 30/40% discount and we are going to be happy anyway. 150 or 220w TDP... It doesn't matter. ;p

I'm want to see... (and GET FX 9590 (8 high clocked threads)) in CryEngine 3
    :3

13. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Phenom IIs sold steadily along their shelf-time, so I think AMD is using the same plan with the current FX models.
    Still, it would be awesome if AMD suddenly came up with a 6-module piledriver-based chip with 12/16MB of cache, sometime next year...
    And to be totally unrealistic, on 28nm...

14. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    Now that I would buy. :peace:

15. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    While i wouldn't mind a steamroller based FX-cpu at all, this news also helps me realise that for stuff that really needs a lot of grunt, 8 cores even of the first bulldozer generation can still deliver. With this cpu at 4,6GHz the only thing I really wish was quicker is the startup of minecraft with 100+ mods lol. Apart from that most stuff is either just fast enough singlethreaded, or properly multithreaded.

I also don't really see any reason for AMD to bring out another FX chip without bringing out an updated platform. Its not like you really miss anything at AM3+, but the idea of having a platform without having the state of the art technologies like PCI-E 3.0 and more NB integration doesn't really fit the "enthusiast" ideology of FX.

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually, as an enthusiast, I don't like the entire northbridge integration thing. Yeah it leads to marginal gains in latency, but it also leads to higher TDP for the processors, a major issue AMD is already struggling with. I don't mind the northbridge being separate from the CPU, it give some flexibility. I'd would like to see PCI-E 3.0 though, but nothing really utilized it right now, so not having it isn't a huge loss.

17. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    Fair point. Power consumption is actually a reason why I stuck with Phenom II; to my knowledge there is no program like Phenom Tweaker for the FX series with which to fine tune (and improve upon) the default P-states. If I could get a FX-8350 down to about 30W idle like I can with my 1090T(24W) then I'd be tempted to buy one.

18. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    If you mean total system poweruse, then its by far better to integrate the NB onto the CPU compared to having a separate chip as a NB, since no power will be needed to get all the signals across, less logic is needed and CPU's usually get made on a far better process than separate NB chips.
    I can see what you're trying to say though, but wouldn't you rather have a chip that gets just a tiny bit hotter, but results in both better performance and lower system power consumption at the same time?
    I for one would prefer the latter, even more since that'll mean you can easily customcool that part of the system aswell, resulting in even better potential overclocking.

19. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    pretty sure that the am3+ socket is the last one on the line.....

20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The power used to transmit data between the CPU and Northbridge is next to nothing. You're talking maybe 1w in overall system power use. I care less. Bit I care a lot more that integrating the northbridge onto the CPU would cause 125w CPUs to now need to be labelled 140w. Especially when it is including a bunch of stuff that an enthusiast will never use, like integrated video.

Plus integrating the northbridge kills FSB/BCLK overclocking, which as an enthusiast I think is not worth sacrificing for anything.

21. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Which makes sense, unless AMD came out with a DDR4-compatible FX processor.
    Or a socket AM4 Phenom III x4/x6/x8 line...

22. Sempron Guy

Sempron Guy

Thanks Received:
    Their FX line are still very capable chips. What we need is a new chipset to back it up. And this move comes along with their plan of pushing mantle where cpu utilization is almost non existent gaming wise. And to be specific, they are not competing for the midrange bracket. They're pursuing hybrid computing hence the focus on APUs. If software devs will adapt hsa, AMD's Kaveri might be more than we could imagine.