1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD guys...support needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Solaris17, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ok hers the jist fellas.....what is the diff between the 2800+ and the sempron.....my current processor is an

AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ @ 3200+ speeds

L1 Cache 64+64=128kb
    L2 Cache =512kb

the screen shot is in my sig

anyways whats the diff betwen that and the sempron i have a socket A board and the only Socket A sempys are non 64bit i yet and dont think i will see 64bit socket A processors.....so should i buy one? will i see a difference?....just tell me all you can because i cant come up with constructed questions. :) thnx
  2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The socket A semprons are pretty sucky processors, your 2800 XP is better than all of them. You have twice the L2 cache and a better core.

The Semprons are mostly re-branded Thoroughbred-B, and some crippled bartons with half the L2 cache. They also run at very low multipliers...
  3. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
  4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thnx that will help me anyone else..thnx guys..o are like semprons lower end as in below athlon xp's? i also cant seem to find a sempy with 512kb o' cache...I LOVE YOU AMD GUYS!!! i can turn to you w/ amd related problems see.

oops didnt see wazz's post tehe ^^
    -
  5. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Semprons are definitely lower than any Athlon XP with a Barton core (2500XP and up)

But they are the same as any Athlon XP with 256kb of L2, which are older.
  6. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    AMD FTW :rockout:

--Lee
  7. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    A socket A/462 Sempron is a T-bred B with the rating changed to compare with intel celerons,
    now, theres 1 Socket A sempron which is decent, the 3000+ which is a 166/333mhz FSB with a Barton core, which im not sure, but i think it runs at 2.0ghz, making it a Athlon XP 2700+ give or take, the issue is that it costs (give or take 5 bucks) the same as a socket 754 2.0ghz 3400+ Sempron Palermo, which is a superior processor, so, in the end of the day, Socket A samprons are a waste of money and time, and since AMD is no longer shipping Socket A chips, this is a history class,

socket A semprons are a lamentable end to a proud plataform which has brought AMD from picking a tombstone to actually competing with intel, the pluto showed AMD had a product, the thunderbird humiliated the Pentium 3, and the williameth and northwood A were at the mercy of the Palomino and Tbred-A/B, its a shame AMD had to end it this way
  8. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ^ all i can do is nod well spoken i love my socket A but it is reaching its end
  9. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    there was a nice foto in the inquirer a few months ago of the fab crew around the last shipment of socket A cpus with a sign saying goodbye to socket A.
  10. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    :( *sniff* well at least it got the proper respect in the end.
  11. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    i just think the socket A samprons were a humiliating move for a plataform that made AMD what it is, they should have ended their current stock of socket A processors and then give it the old viking funeral, insted of manufacturing rebranded crap,