• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD HD 8750M---is it even working???how do i know??? plz help

System Name assembled
Processor i5 10400 2.90ghz
Motherboard asus tuf b460 plus
Cooling stock fan with 3 cabinet fans
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) Inno3d nvidia geforce rtx 2060
Storage 1tb seagate hdd model st2000dm005, 512 ssd western digital
Display(s) LG
Case Deepcool matrexx 55 mesh
Power Supply Corsair
Keyboard Corsair k55
hello friends,

I have 'Lenovo G500' laptop running windows 8 pro, it has an onboard 'intel HD graphics 4000' and another 'AMD radeon hd 8750M' graphics card, the problem is that when run a game like skyrim, its options do not show the amd graphics card in the list, only the intel hd4000 shows up, the playstation 2 emulator 'PCSX2' also does not show amd in the list, both these softwares show intel hd4000 only.

i have tried installing latest drivers for the amd but the latest drivers dont work with it and i have to roll back to the old ones, also I used the GPU-Z software and it shows the following result

and here is the image showing intel hd graphics 4000 result

i dont have technical know-how about computers, but still i see that the amd cards result tell that the BIOS and transistors results are unknown,

the question is why arent the games detecting the amd card? and how can i make sure that the card is working and isnt broken?

i'd be grateful to any response

thanks

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
My wife has a laptop with the HD 8870M in it and it's worth noting that the software that switches between the Intel and AMD GPUs is a little finicky. It doesn't seem to work correctly if GPU drivers aren't installed in the proper order.

I would start by uninstalling all of your GPU drivers and starting with only the AMD graphics and seeing where that gets you. The catalyst control panel should also give you options for saying when the GPU switches from the Intel to the AMD graphics when both are installed. It's entirely possible that your power settings aren't allowing the discrete GPU to take over because it does consume more power than the HD4000.

Edit: I'm currently not around her laptop, so I can't take any screenshots right now. If needed I can later on.

Last edited:
System Name assembled
Memory 16gb
Display(s) LG
Power Supply Corsair
Keyboard Corsair k55
hello Aquinus,

hmmm alright i'll give this a try and then report back,

thanks a lot for the response

it doesnt work,

i uninstalled both intel and amd drivers for both the graphics cards, but when i restart, the intel graphics card is working as it was again!!

On another instance when i disable the intel graphics card so that only the amd is left to work a message pops up saying-----

"amd's desktop manager is being unloaded because an amd display driver is not currently running. if you have administrator privileges, click reset to revert to default display settings. select cancel to close this window with no changes. to permanently remove an installed amd display driver, use the add/remove programs control panel."

I dont understand, is my graphics card alright?? is this a problem with just the amd driver?? I have tried to install drivers from the amd website and also from the lenovo website, still no use.

only if i could know somehow if the card is working or not

any help is appreciated
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I kind of have the same kind of setup in my laptop, but I have an nVidia GPU. My games all show the HD4000 as the output but the nVidia card is being used. I think it is like this because the display is physically attached to the Intel GPU, but the game can be rendered on the dedicated card and then the picture is routed through the Intel.

Anyway, the easiest way to see if the AMD GPU is being used is to leave GPUz open and run a game. Then exit the game and check the sensor tab. If there is GPU usage on the AMD GPU then it is being used. If there is no usage, the Intel GPU is doing the work.

MKarimAnik

For easy switch between 8750m & HD 4000 on desktop right click>Graphic Properties>Power>PowerPlay then On powerplay you have to specify between maximize performance/maximize battery life on two option Plugged In or Battery. Maximize performance means 8750m on play and maximize battery life means HD 4000. So I recommend on Plugged In-maximize performance, battery-maximize battery life. You will also have to make sure that on the power option in your windows High Performance/Balanced option is selected while gaming not Battery preset. As 8750m is a new gen (on 2015 it's old) it's a power saving mode, it turns it self down while on idle mode. So in order to proper info from GPU Z you have to click on the question mark along side BUS Interface option and start the render test. If still face some difficulties let me know. I am using the same GPU on my laptop for 8 months. It's a good gpu.

System Name assembled
Memory 16gb
Display(s) LG
Power Supply Corsair
Keyboard Corsair k55
thank you very much friends, i have done the suggestions that mkarimanik told, lets see what happens, ill report back after some time, thanks a lot again

System Name assembled
Memory 16gb
Display(s) LG
Power Supply Corsair
Keyboard Corsair k55
hello Mkarimanik, i did the powerplay thing....bu the problem is i cant find out whether the amd gpu is running the game or only the intel 4000, because the last two games i have show only the intel card in options, the new game i installed is 'dota 2'....this game doesnt have any option that shows which graphics card is working on my system...

hello newtekie, i would do it but where is the sensor tab??

Last edited by a moderator:

MKarimAnik

By using GPU Z (gpu only), AMD System monitor and MSI Afterburner your cpu, gpu workload. In GPU Z you have to make sure that it's showing info for 8750m not HD 4600. Click the right tab "Sensors" beside Graphics Card.

System Name assembled
Memory 16gb
Display(s) LG
Power Supply Corsair
Keyboard Corsair k55
hello Mkarimanik

oh yaaa it works

i was playing dota 2

and this window shows in its 'sensor tab' some acitivity, that means the amd card is working....

wow, thanks man...thanks to everybody who helped in this problem. YEEEEE huraaayyy

hehehehe