1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD HD8000 series delayed until Q4 2013?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 20mmrain, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Take this with a grain of salt..... but Videocardz.com Speculates that the HD8000 series may not release until Q4 2013 possibly Q1 2014.

Again take it with a grain of salt but here is the article for a read and discussion.

HD8000 series possibly delayed until Q4 2013

I personally don't think it will be that long.... but I do think we will not see the new gen video cards until at least Q2 or Q3 because of some of the reasons they list in the article.

2. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    maybe amd is swamped making chips for all 3 consoles

3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    This is the exact reason I can believe such a delay. If you take into account the release of the HD7970 Ghz edition they technically have the worlds fastest single chip at the moment..... Why not let it ride? Especially if AMD is trying to supply the console market with chips at the moment.

A hypothetical destiny I could see playing out is the following...... Nvidia Releases the Geforce Titian to compete with the console market. AMD releases the HD7980 to compete with the Geforce Titian.

The Hd 7980 you say???..... What???? Remember this photo???
    It's a dream I know.... but it is still fun to dream :) Either way I hope this above rumor is not true. I could really use some new video cards to play with!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I like how he quotes

Then continues to speculate on a delay to do just that. :laugh:

5. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you noticed this too :D

6. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am ok with this, my 7950 at 1200 core destroys even 7970 ghz editions not OC'd. :)

7. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I think he got Scroogled...

He should have used another search engine so he can find actual AMD employees talking about roadmaps

The last time I heard anything about Sea Island and possible roadmap was this article.

AMD to adopt 28nm Bulk CMOS manufacturing process for products in 2013

Alot of things have changed over at AMD since then but until they miss Q1 2013. I dont see the point of whinning about it like he is. Especially since they have the fastest single GPU on the market.
    He even points out that the AMD rep said this why there is no rush slaps references and benchmarks. Yet he somehow wants AMD to responde to Nvidia Titan rumours.

I look at the site but its hard to take serious when he openly admits he wont credit sources cause he hates them but uses there material to gain traffic.:rolleyes:

8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Even with DICE I don't see a single core AMD chip coming anywhere near the Titan. They simply don't have anything close to that thing up their sleeves. I'd honestly be surprised if even a 8970 will compete with it.

9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    That I disagree especially since we have not seen what Titian can really do yet and the other reason is..... AMD has been very silent about what they have or don't have.

But you could be right

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Right, Q4 2013 or even Q1 2014. What a load of nonsense. Has anyone bothered to check how old HD7000 series are? There is NO way AMD will wait for that long. It just won't.

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's assuming that the Titan isn't getting over-hyped. I feel like I've heard this from nVidia before. I'll save judgement for when they both come out because I have a hard time believing that nVidia can pull that much more performance from their GPU without drawing significantly more power and generating more heat than it does now.

Either way, I'll assume both companies have something in the works and leave it at that. :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  12. TommyT New Member

Thanks Received:
    2 years between gen NO WAY !!!!! :wtf::shadedshu

13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm still skeptic about that source, If it is true though there is no way I'll wait until 2014, let's hope Nvidia Titan delivers.

15. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The delay is most likely due to slow sales in general. This helps AMD's partners get rid of inventory. That is usually a concern at this point in 8XXX release..... Just a theory...... Intel did the same thing with IvyBridge. The retail and OEM partners had an abundance of SandyBridge, so Intel delayed Ivy.

16. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Besides HD7970 and GTX680 are more than enough for most people except for those that go at very high resolutions or multi-monitor setups.

With all the financial problems they're facing, AMD has to be very careful at picking fights they can win. A head2head against Titan isn't one of those. How many people are going to buy a Titan anyway? The bulk of the sales is at the 200-300 price points and AMD is well covered there.

This might not please fanboys but is a pretty sound move

james888 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    See this is my point too...... Nvidia is known for over hyping cards from time to time. Also even if Titian is all that everyone hopes for in terms of performance..... How much power will it take to achieve that performance? 300 watts? Plus how much heat will it send out???? My point is.... will we have another GTX 480 on our hands in terms of Heat and power usage?

You bring up a great point for AMD's answer to Titian.....Titian is just a short term special run card. And it will be a card that most people can't afford.... why even acknowledge it's available?
    My request for AMD is not to release something to fight against titian.... but more release something to keep things fresh. Kind of like ATI did with the HD4770-HD4890, but do it with the HD7000 series. To keep people interested in their product for another 6 months. Especially since it is the Radeon Name that is keeping AMD still alive in the PC market. - But my request is more of a want then a Need I suppose.

18. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Imagine if AMD had the 7000 series drivers right the first time...
    Nvidia would never have gotten away with their ridiculous GTX680 pricing.
    AMD would probably not have been forced to cut their prices as much as they had.

Maybe we'd even have had a chance at $500 pricing for Titan/GTX780.

19. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    So glad I'm still sticking to my HD 5850. Feel like I'm not missing much

20. Grnfinger

Grnfinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not "blown away" moving from a 5970 to dual 7870's
    New hardware is always nice but honestly I didn't have any problems playing my games with the 5970.

21. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of people are feeling this way.... While I know I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a gen video card.....I know I also can wait to make it worth it.