1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD / Intel CPU perforrmance

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VulkanBros, Mar 27, 2013.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Load line calibration depends on what voltage you have set. And being Digi VRM or conventional VRM, every VRM monitors CPU activity and sets voltage accordingly. My motherboard does that too. I set 1.375 LLC on and C&Q off. It will be 1.368 idle and 1.4V extreme load and 1.380 moderate load(Songs, files, browser and all). So you see it is near the one I set in BIOS.

But if you set 1.7V through the BIOS, even LLC will never allow 2.172V to be driven to the CPU. It is hardware limitation(VRM) and cannot be controlled by software(BIOS).

2. sumonpathak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even with the shittiest LLC on the world no board/chip will allow 1.7V on air on an FX.
    The screenie you posted have been proved fake a long time ago :p

itsakjt says thanks.
  3. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i may try that soon as im planning on upgrading anyway..... my board has a 4+1 phase design, not heat sinked, LLC doesn't work in the slightest and ive had 1.6 through it.

4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    well, i know that, but its still fun :p

5. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    -For the same price, Intel has better single-threaded performance, and AMD has better multi-threaded performance.
    -For the same price, AMD usually has better MB features. Although Haswell seems to be evening the playing field.
    -At 1080p, on most games (e.g not RTS games), as long as your CPU isn't older than 3 years and "teh suxorz", your GPU won't get CPU bottlenecked.
    -For general usage, as long as your CPU isn't older than 3 years and "teh suxorz", you won't notice a difference.
    -If your having slow start-up/load times and are using a mechanical drive for your OS, don't get a i7 3970x. That's stupid. Get an SSD instead.
    -If you can't max out 1080p games on your Trinity APU, don't get an i7 3970x. That's stupid. Get a proper video card instead.

Basically, it all comes down to how much your willing to pay, and your other components.

This post is brought to you by boredom.

Geofrancis says thanks.
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i3 isnt worth it, there was a comparison of the 5800 to the i3. i3, Pentium, Celeron- not worth it.

Yeah he is a blind fool honestly, and the HTPC Bit? An APU would do just fine for less.

Core i5 or greater recommended. Stars, Llano, Trinity, Vishera recommended.

(gotta love noobs)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  7. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    The one thing I didn't mention however... the intel rig is significantly faster in real world gaming :p

However, where my system lacks the most is disk performance, so I thrive on cache, hence moving back to X58 for 48GB of RAM :p

Not sure what you mean better DDR3 handling? X58 offers significantly more bandwidth and better latencies than the AM3+ platform, but yes, I have my uncore clocked hard to make it even better.

I have been recommending the 8350 to friends recently for their own builds who were looking to buy a 3770K otherwise (to fit an SSD into budget), and they've been more then happy with the performance.

8. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    yea, fanboys are irritating, I agree.

Intel is always better for performance. More stable, runs cooler, etc. It is worth it, trust me.
    Personally I got the 3770K.

9. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    This post was looking so promising until I read "More stable" >:

itsakjt says thanks.
  10. ueutyi New Member

Thanks Received:
    ACTUALLY the FX 8150's gaming performance is worth than i3 even some pentiums in most of the games, u can just get a 3570k or E3-1230V2(Xeon)

11. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    In gaming, the FX 8150 catches well enough with the i7s in most games. And overall considering the budget to be constant, AMD FX 8series + a beasty GPU > Intel Core i7 + a decent GPU.
    If the GPU is same too, differences are insignificant.

12. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    you can get a fairly decent motherboard and 8150/8350 for the price or near of an i7. and I did notice intel boards cost a bit more in general, so the savings could get a beastttyyyy gpu.

I couldn't justify spending £270ish on a cpu :nutkick:

13. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I would love the single core performance but I'm not prepared to pay the high price for the extra features that are standard on amd like vt-d, 6x sata III, overclocking and backwards compatability.

With intel your never really sure what your CPU has unless you test it. All amd chips have the same features top to bottom.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013