1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD K10, response to Core from Intel?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by _33, Apr 11, 2006.

1. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The topicality has been dull for a few days. It is a fact. Afflicted to be able to propose interesting news to you, we were constrained to drown our distress in alcohol. It is thus with the bar that we met an engineer of AMD which tried, him also, to drown its misfortune in same the breuvage. This one thus described us its fears as for the performances of Conroe, of which Juda with finally sent a specimen at AMD.

Conscious that K8 architecture could not compete with the next high-speed motorboat of INTEL, all its hopes are for the moment based on a new "revolutionary" technology (it is our opinion, not it his) on which AMD works in this moment for after-K8. This technology is in fact a kind of anti-HT: There or HyperThreading sought to emulate two virtual processors with a physical processor, it is a question for AMD of emulating a single virtual processor with two (or several) physical processors.

A mother chart comprising two Dual CPU Core would be thus seen by the operating system only like one processor, well on theoretical power four times higher than that of four CPUs. More need then for the developers to spend the hours in the optimization of the software, this one will be directly dispatché between different the cores. Threading hardware, truth. Alas, frightened by the threats of AMD on his life in the event of disclosure, our engineer did not want to say some to us more.

At all events, we have the certainty now that AMD also works on the threading hardware for its next generation. Also, because INTEL is also on the rails and presented at many recoveries its vision of the threading Hardware. The years to come thus will be complex for the two founders.

At AMD, the only solution to leave themselves the crisis which goes, with blow on, to cause the exit of Conroe is to innovate, and seriously. AMD will not be able indeed to draw on K8 architecture as it did for K7 architecture (FSB400 and others strictly did not bring anything). K10 will be the Holy Grail... or will not be. And for this one, not of Nexgen or other Alpha in help.

At INTEL, medium term is not pinker forcing. Conroe and consorts, certainly, will cause the euphoria at their exit, but it should not however not be forgotten that this architecture is far from being new and will not remain viable very a long time. After Conroe and Penryn (variation 45 Nm), it is Nehalem which will have to take the changing. A many times pushed back architecture over which INTEL hesitates obviously still.

At all events, the first manufacturer who will finalize a viable technology of threading hardware will have a very broad advantage vis-a-vis his competitor, for little that this one always exists...

SOURCE OF INFO

2. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    K10 response to Core?
    I doubt.

K8L coming sometime '07 is the answer.

3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Conroe will outrun a K8-64 at speed, and at overclock in logistic-sequential programmed applications, such as Super PI, but still falls behind in gaming. AMD would do well to move the FX series of CPU's down in price as it is a more direct competator to the Conroe series, as well as perhaps focusing on shrinking the die size while maintaining the 939 series archatecture for a year or better yet. The short term move to a new setup then again is going to move alot of people away from AMD if they are not carefull.

Remember the latter P4's then Celery D, and the 775 move? Same performance, different setup for more money=Brokeback company.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=2
    How does conroe fall behind here? This is just at 2.66Ghz, it will be released up to 3.33Ghz at release.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
  6. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Largon is right, it's the K8L that will compete against the Conroe. I read that the K8L will do the following:

- New SOI manufacturing for greater mhz speed than current A64/FX (over 3ghz)
    - More cache (5 times more) with new cache technology
    - Twice the floating point calculating power over existing K8
    - Released in 1H 07
    - 65 nm technology
    - Quad core anyone? (let's wait and see for that one)
    - K8L might have 4 command decode instead of 3 (same as conroe)

AMD's K8L to double FPU units in 2007
    AMD licenses capacitor-less cache memory technology
    AMD's K8L 65nm core due H1 07
    AMD to Release Quad-Core K8L Chip in Q1, 2007
    The photo of the 65nm Athlon 64 core - already a K8L?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  7. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not just SOI that's coming with K8L. It will be a 65nm 3rd generation SOI with strained SiGe silicon.

According to recent AMD roadmaps there will be no 65nm K8 cores, the first 65nm will be rev-G Brisbane (K8L) with DDR3 coming 1H07. 2Q07 to be specific, as Sparta (K8L Sempron) is scheduled for 2H07.

edit:
    duh. 65nm Brisbane is still K8, K8Ls are "hounds" (Deerhound, Wolfhound, etc.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I haven't seen where there was a review that wasn't Intel tampered with. When I have the actual production model in hand or in reviews I will believe, but compare some older reviews with the new.

9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ...you go to bars with AMD staff? :)

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Do we believe eveything we read on the internet?

"feared for his life from AMD" Hrrmmm, mebey a little expounded upon.

I believe there is a margin of speed increase due to higher memory clocks, higher FSB clocks and better cache mangement, but as I stated. Untill I read enough reviews from sites that didn't use "Intel provided" hardware and or have one of my own, it is speculation to assume that these aren't best of the best examples.