1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD new Radeons Frontpage Poll Discussion

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Sep 26, 2013.

?

How do you like the new Radeons?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2013.
  1. I'll definitely get one

1,711 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Can I see the specs first?

1,230 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Pricing will decide it

2,232 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. But the drivers..

751 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. I'm with the green camp

1,438 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. birdie

birdie

Thanks Received:
    Where's the option:

"I'm content with what I have, not gonna upgrade any time soon"?

And this is regardless the GPU vendor.
  2. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    AMD still has to convince me that it has its act together with drivers before I will ever again consider getting two AMD cards.
  3. noctuanhd14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same I voted green, 290x is impressive but I just prefer Nvidia's drivers. My 780 has had 0 BSOD's when OC'ing my monitor to 100+hz, whereas my 7970 would crash on older games, but not newer ones with the monitor OC'd.

Also if you look at tri sli and quad sli, it still is scaling in games such as tomb raider, and AMD stops scaling at 2 gpu's. :)
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I like the new shroud. I might sidegrade to a 280X just for it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    The choice "but the drivers" bugs me, is just that there is that much ignorance on behalf of world towards AMD's drivers. All 3 of the computers in my house use AMD graphics, and I have NO problem with them.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone has the same Windows installation. I haven't had any problem with AMD drivers (not even with the AGP hotfixes) but that doesn't mean there aren't people that experience problems.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    That's great, but you also aren't using Crossfire or Eyefinity.

I have no problem recommending single card, single monitor AMD configurations like yours. I answered "But the drivers" because when you are paying $600+ for a card you should expect multi-card and multi-monitor configurations to work without issues, and AMD's drivers don't provide that experience.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. Breaz

Thanks Received:
    "But the drivers" also bugs me I have no troubles with 2 6950 unlocked and 3240*1920 triple monitors
  9. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I think the problem comes to the definition of "broken." I want to clarify that my complaint is referring to frame pacing in Eyefinity with Crossfire, which is a known issue that AMD has been promising to fix for months but with no firm date of a rectifying driver release any time soon.

I call the drivers broken because in the games I play there is no perceptible difference between a single card and multiple card configuration due to AMD's current lack of frame pacing. Thus, I wasted my money on a second card because it generates frames that are not displayed and thus does not add to my experience. I have to turn down my game settings so that my game is generating 120fps before it looks smooth, and at that point I might as well disable Crossfire and run a single card at 60fps.

This is why I answered "but the drivers," because the situation that is most likely to need the additional rendering power of multiple cards (Eyefinity) cannot use it effectively due to bad drivers. And if there's any card that is most likely to be used with both Eyefinity and Crossfire, it's going to be the highest end card (i.e. the R9 290X). Buyers should beware.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. Breaz

Thanks Received:
    Good point although I don't see that problem on my screens other people might hope it does get fixed soon. I would pick wait for next gen due to the fact that my 2 cards work fine as of now.
  11. Joe Public

Joe Public

Thanks Received:
    I already bought a 7970 on sale a few months ago. Was about the same that a R9 280X is now, so won't be buying anything new until 2015 or so.
  12. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Based from the leaked benchies, looks like it consumes more power for the same amount of horsepower on what the competition has.. Assuming 780 ti would be priced the same and would perform the same, I guess it will be up to power consumption, features, driver support, etc as the deciding factor.
  13. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Just played BF4 with my 5870/5850 CFX cards and I was in the 60-70 fps range. So absolutely no reason for me to upgrade to a new card anytime soon. ;)