1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Paves the Way for the Next Gen. of Supercharged Desktop PCs with 9-Series Chipset

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm waiting for a 64core till I upgrade

2. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the information on the boards. Perhaps I will finally find something reasonable to replace me 785evo with. Do you know if these boards are up on newegg yet? As for the AMD bs Intel dispute I believe that this was a topic regarding the release of them motherboards and not the performance that bulldozer offered in compairison to sandy bridge. Although it makes nice bed time reading to read the views expressed in regards to that. Have a good night/day!

3. Heavy_MG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think so as well,though the delay has kind of impacted my expectations of just how good Bulldozer will be.
    Even if it isn't has fast as a i7 2600K,it should be as good as the i5 2500K. As long as it competes with the 2nd. gen i5,I'll be happy with Bulldozer. Only being as good as 1st gen i5 or i7 would be disappointing. It would leave AMD 2 generations behind again once Sandy Bridge-E is out.

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  4. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    I'm not too worried about Sandy Bridge-E because I'm pretty sure that that is going to be way out of my price range. I think that the 8 core Bulldozers have a really good shot at surpassing the 2600k though. I am just speculating though, because I have the same amount of info about Bulldozers performance as almost everyone else.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    How were AMD's phenoms II six core CPU's frauds???:wtf:

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The thing is Intel was not the same as it is now. Everything changed when the Core 2 came. This is a vastly different situation.

7. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    How do you know? What is to say that Sandy Bridge is even a good utilization of 32nm technology? It's not like they've had any competition on that front.

I have said that everything that I have said is pure speculation, but so is anything saying that my speculation is wrong. None of us will know for sure until AMD decides to let us.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  8. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    This is quite offtopic, but... why are people praising Sandy Bridge as second coming?
    Core i5 2500(K) and Core i7 2600(K) are good, even great, but at the same time... quite unimpressive
    (Performance-wise) when compared to Core i7 920, they are not that much better.

What is impressive is lowered power usage (thanks to new, 32 nm process), overclock potential (again, thanks to 32 nm process) and price (probably also thanks to 32 nm process).

I just don't see Sandy Bridge as anything other than shrink with tweaks.

As for the main topic of this thread, I'm looking forward to 990-based motherboard reviews. I wanna see if there's any performance improvement due to chipset, maybe better power usage, etc :)
    Most of all, I'm hoping for cheap 990X motherboards :D

9. rem82 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is the truth for bulldozer.

10. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Pci-e 2.0, always step back from intel‏,‏‎ also better if they made new good cpu's better adding Sli support.

11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Can we get a source on this 2X improvement on the Instruction Per Clock figure?

At 2x per core that means they truly do have a killer chip there, especially at 4+ Ghz on 8 cores. From my understanding currently they are behind Intel by about 60% on IPC, if this is the case they will outperform by a margin of 40% on average per thread.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Well, since we've evolved this topic to a discussion on BD performance, here's the first official CPU-Z screenshot.

[​IMG]

Heavy_MG, cadaveca and btarunr say thanks.
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Sandy Bridge is basically X58 performance at the midrange market segment, which is awesome. But other then that yes, no significant performance increase ensued with it's release, but you're getting X58 performance for cheaper with lower power consumption, higher overclock ability and at a low cost, so it's definitely a huge win for consumers really.

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Which really doesn't even matter here.

Rather than AMD having the fastest CPU possible, I'd much rather see them hit the $200 and lower price range right in the face, and for them to win with performance within that segment.

Based on my own testing, Phenom II cores are still pretty good, but the memory bandwidth is lacking. If they can bring that up to P67 numbers, Bulldozer will be killer, no doubt. I have alot fo confidence that AMD might be able to pull this off, as seemingly Bulldozer is still a bit more focused towards the server market, where throughput is most important.

When considering throughput, the obvious way to increase that is with better memory bandwidth, so I do think AMD is focused on that, especially considering the "rumoured" 1866 MHz DDR3 support for Bulldozer.

Reviews coming from me on 9-series products very soon. ;)

15. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    What I find really interesting is that with a turbo core boost of 1Ghz on a single core, we should easily be able to overclock all cores by at least 1 Ghz and probably more.

That would put the 8 core chip with a frequency of 3.8 Ghz up to 4.8Ghz and above, which would put it in the same general area as Sandy Bridge.

16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Correct, i was addressing an irrelevant and offtopic post with another irrelevant and offtopic post.

They've been hitting the price for performance segment for quite sometime without much of a significant move towards larger performance increases. This is supposed to be a major redesign of the ancient K10 microarchitecture so if done right i do expect Bulldozer to push out some good numbers. I never stated Bulldozer couldn't perform up to par, especially considering what is known or rumor to know about these chips. But they have some strong competition in the performance arena and if they can get close to accomplishing the goal of providing both price while maintaining a good performance stance against P67/Z68, then it's a win/win, but it's to early to tell.

Never seen you review anything, so i guess thats good.

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  18. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Really?!!? LOL, didn't know that.

You're good then from the looks of those reviews.:)

cadaveca says thanks.
  19. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Of course, just waiting on some info from OEM, then first will go live, basically done already, starting next one today.

Just give it a couple of days, I guess, and check the front page. ASUS up first ;)

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  21. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, those are the ones I'm most looking forward to. :rockout:

22. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Its that big market share which makes Intel say "screw the rules" and approach innocent by-standing OEMs and force them to drop their line of AMD based systems in favour of Intel based systems or daddy wont be giving them any special treatment in the form of big discounts and free pie.

theyve been hit more then twice by Anti-trust lawsuits and its that 85% share of the market which drives them insane and want more

Damn_Smooth and Heavy_MG say thanks.