1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by zanat0s, Aug 29, 2011.

1. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    A reason for 7xxx? Ati cards?

well .. i have to say all the newer generation cards are amazing but at the same time they consumer pwer and createheat. on the other hand i do not see games taking advantage of the higher horse power oth there.

,my question what will ATI bring out for series 7? i hope it bring same performance with less heat, less power and definitely smaller cards

2. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    My prediction is that the 7 series cards will not come out for a year or so if AMD is changing the architecture. AMD is known for testing mid-range cards on new processes and there has been none. Based on this i cant see AMD bringing a new card to the table for at least a year maybe longer.

3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i doubt it. they will have a newer make that gives more for less heat and space, but series 7 will probably be a continuation of the large card set up. any given generation has to be large to have an increase in performance, they can't shrink the size and increase performance at the same time, unless they were doing something really wrong before.

it's not so much that the cards don't have power, it's that games don't take advantage of it. there is no reason for my 5850 to still max 99% of games that are released, with 35+ fps. it is a lack of progress by developers, not card manufacturers.

NAVI_Z says thanks.
  4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    That pretty much resumes all hardware that performs computation...since the ENIAC.
    I'll say you can expect what has been done over the years, architectural improvements, performance increases and a reduction of power consumption on lower-end to mid-range cards...until the next DX version comes or technology (holograms).

5. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    mediasorcerer and CrackerJack say thanks.
  6. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    They didnt say it was going to be the 7k series and do you really think AMD would pull an NVIDIA and test a new architecture on a new node. This wont happen for awhile. We might see some die shrinks of the Cayman in the 7k series and thats about it.

7. Cpoco New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think there is a problem, new cards always suffer from mediocre performance because the driver is not mature. At least half a year should be waited for stable and powerful driver.

NAVI_Z says thanks.
  8. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    This has been worked on for a while by them. Remember designs are done 2 years in advance and the VLIV or whatever has been used for a very long time now.

Besides ATI is better at constant node changes than Nvidia is, you cannot compare that. I pretty much gave you 90% proof that it IS the 7k series.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    AMD's 7 Series is based on the Code Name Southern Islands from what I’ve been reading. Should be a die shrink with the introduction of a new architecture and/or a massive extension to the HD 6900 series with new design implementations.

Due to the process issues in the past which forced AMD to place the HD 6000 series onto the same die size as the HD 5000 series, they were forced to scrap Code Name Southern Islands Plan A (Architecture Build from the Ground Up) and went to plan B which was Northern Islands. Northern Islands was a mix of both Cayman with some of Southern Islands which we see today with the HD 6900 cards.

That said, you can expect the Next Gen HD 7*** series to not only outperform anything in the market, but performance but should also run as cool as ice....

So is the HD 7000 series really needed? Yes for competition pressure and price reduction....:D

NAVI_Z, Velvet Wafer, HXL492 and 3 others say thanks.
  10. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I am still happy with my 5970 and seen no need to upgrade to the 6k series. But maybe if the 7k series can break some records I will upgrade.

11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I hope that is true because im still using 2x 4850's and im just now starting to have some performance issues with my games. I really want some new cards and I wanted to wait for a completely new GPU

12. Syuzeren

Syuzeren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want the 7xxx series, then the 6xxx series will drop in price and hello cheap crossfire. Also how better the 7xxx how further the older cards will drop (hopefully), then i likely will get a 8xxx series when they release.

13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    If that's true.
    The 5K series launched Q1 2010. So if they were working on a completely new architecture, Q1 2012 looks like a trustworthy timeframe. Just around the time that SB-E is going to be launched. Oh goodie! I can't wait. With so many new toys, it's just a matter of time before I do a complete system overhaul :D

14. Syuzeren

Syuzeren New Member

Thanks Received:
    SB-E will use LGA 2011/x79 right? then is Ivy going to use the same?
    I would still like a new 1155 processor, unless they already got the full potential out of 1155.

15. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    SB-E will use LGA 2011/x79 correct, but Ivy Bridge will be using the same 1155 socket from what I know, but maybe a little tweaked? Because some older 1155 socket motherboards, not many, will be able to support the new CPUs with a bios update.

16. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    I dont know how you guys can say that about the 7k series. AMD always dropped hints and there have been nothing except them saying eventually they will switch to a new architecture. That is why i dont understand how you can come up with these conclusion about the 7k series.

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Course You have the Last Gents Top End Board

18. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I heard SI is going to be almost built from the ground up, anyway read this:

Technical Details:

Early rumors said that this series would only be a die-shrink of the Radeon HD 6900 (Cayman) architecture. However, later news revealed that the Southern Islands architecture is called Graphics Core Next Gen.

- Support for x86 addressing with unified address space for CPU and GPU. 64-bit addressing
    - Support for PCI-E 3.0
    - GPU sends interrupts to CPU on various memory errors (such as page faults).
    - Usages of MIMD instructions instead of VLIW (Which was used in previous AMD GPU-architectures).
    - Support for Partially Resident Textures, which enable virtual memory support through - DirectX and OpenGL extensions.
    - PowerTune support, which dynamically adjusts performance to stay within a specific TDP.
    - These changes could lead to better utilization of the GPU for compute along with traditional graphics.

This architecture is supposed to be integrated into the next line of AMD Fusion processors.

Company: AMD
    Author: James Prior
    Editor: Charles Oliver
    Date: July 11th, 2011

Teasing the Next Gen - This Interview is Awesome and very Informative....
    LINK:
    http://www.rage3d.com/interviews/amdchats/eric_demers_july_2011/index.php?p=4

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    HXL492 says thanks.
  19. Nachmanowicz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Smaller cards would be good. Although I own a HAF 922, so fitting cards in ain't a problem, my 6950's size is rather embarrassing. It's like "what's up with that!?!?!"

About performance, I'd be good getting a 25% improvement on gaming, will it reach that?

(PS: Just bought an i7 2600k, how serious is AMD about that integration between AMD CPU's and GPU's???)

20. games010

Thanks Received:
    When will release day graphics cards AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series?
    Could someone tell the release year and month?

21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, as there is no set release date.

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Expect Release sometime round middle of next year

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  24. games010

Thanks Received:
    Somewhere this was a web page.

Release Date Info of AMD HD 7000 series GPUs
    The first 28nm AMD HD 7000 series GPUs will arrive in Q4 of this year (from October to December), which would give it a few months advantage over Nvidia 28nm GPUs whose first arrival will be in the first half of 2012.

25. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    I understand AMD has been on schedule releasing a chip every year but it couldnt last. Die shrink plus a whole new architecture that isnt AMD's style since the last time they failed at it...i feel the sources are wrong. Die shrink plus a whole new architecture is a no no. They didnt learn from themselves and Nvidia?