1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by zanat0s, Aug 29, 2011.

1. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh jeez, I thought this news was old hat or I would've posted it myself! Saw this maybe a half dozen days after it was written. I even have it bookmarked to compare it to the official specs when they're released. :laugh:

Appreciated nonetheless Kurgan.

For me personally, all this rumour really does is loosen my wallet for other expenditures this holiday season as I was hoping against hope the 7970 would at least be previewed before 2012, giving me a price point ballpark I could swing for. With that dashed, and it frankly being stupid to buy a 78X0 card before the official specs and pricing of the 79X0 are revealed, my money will now be earmarked for a RAM kit and maybe a holiday sale SSD.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Not to be nitpicky but this is old :eek:
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be buying one, and XDR2 is just a nice cherry on top. I like Rambus for all of their technological innovation. They have every right to sue anyone that infringes on their patents and they should if not to at least teach lazy engineers a lesson. I just don't see these cards releasing until next year sometime though.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'm hoping later rather than sooner(Like March/April)...Bulldozer is gonna empty the coffers!

:cry:

Yeah, tax return time sounds good.
  5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, I want one, was hoping they would have been out before BF3, but they aren't, so I will be loading out on my 6950. Didn't know about the Rambus junk, and don't care unless the price is too high, but I guess time will tell there.

So what, I haven't seen it posted here. Not everyone goes out and searches for news, so I posted it. Either way, why post to just say that, lol.
  6. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    This information, if you can call a rumor that, has already appeared in printed (magazine) form. It is old, as others have said.

That aside, this is an interesting departure for AMD. They generally produce cards that are excellent on the budget (both initially and power consumption), and have some balls. Getting involved with Rambus, in my opinion, is a deal with the devil. The memory bandwidth may be higher, but Rambus has the tendency to troll patents in the efforts to create a legal monopoly.

While defending ones IP is inherently necessary, Rambus takes is too far. They have lost in court several times, imperically proving that some of their issues are less grounded than their legal advisors would suggest.

On top of that, the XDR2 is a completely unproven (comercially) technology with a single supplier as of now. It stands to reason that Rambus will get greedy if there are any signs of success, and they will milk every penny out of AMD. This is not a conjecture, it was proven with RDRAM (for those of us old enough to have lived through those P4 cash nightmares.

So, I see this as an experiment to test the waters. AMD can retain the GDDR5 if need be, while seeing if the XDR2 can prove itself. While I don't hold high hopes, I would love to be proven wrong.
    TRWOV says thanks.
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Idk if I should shell out the cash on a Full Bulldozer RAM/CPU/MB Upgrade or wait out for the 7000 series..

Tough choices...
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Why not buy a AM3+ mobo now, that way you don't have to drop a large sum all at once. Don't see a need for new RAM for you, and then you can wait for Bulldozer or 7000 and pick whichever comes first.
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can, I believe people are looking for another one for CrossfireX. That alone is a huge performance boost on the cheap. That is how I sold my past two ATI Radeon HD 4870's for a good amount which got me my HD 6970 :toast: The buyers were happy and so was I.

Good luck on your selling your card. Try e-bay and kajiji....
    I would have to agree, stick with your ram, pick yourself up a nice ASUS ROG AM3+ mobo and you are good to go. I would stick with your graphics for now and wait for the HD 7900 series then pick one up perhaps a few months after its release... IMO
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
  10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I want the higher GB's (regarding RAM).

Really I just want to get faster RAM, but I suppose I could just do it one by one as you said.

I think I'll be buying A new MB real soon ;)

NVM Lol

Newegg is out of stock on both Crosshair V's.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt AM3+ AMD 990F...

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s...
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    That ROG ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ looks sweet... That's on my list for an upgrade...;)
  12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    This makes a lot of sense; if Rambus gets feisty they can just dump them. The mainstream cards will be using GDDR5 after all and that's where the money is. This would also prevent getting into supply problems while XDR2 production ramps up.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    didn't the PS3 use XDR memory too?
  14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yes... XDR, not XDR2. Only has 256 MB :/
  15. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't mean to sound like some pampered tween who can't google their own information, but I haven't kept up with what Bulldozer is or why its such an anticipated product due to my owning a 920 making it unnecessary. Nonetheless I keep hearing how its going to be released, then it recently got delayed, and now the entire internet seems disappointed.

Could you say in just a sentence or two what's so special about Bulldozer and why it's being used in the same paragraphs with the likes of the 79X0 series, Battlefield 3, and other products on the cutting edge of desktop computing Cadaveca? (Or anyone else who has a minute to give me the Cliff Notes)

I'm actually glad that the 79X0 series is being released after all the major holiday releases such as Battlefield 3 because the measurements of GPU performance on most sites needs a serious overhaul.

While of course there are many sites that review GPUs, I personally use Anandtech because I dig their PC game test suite; it's a rare site that actually measures GPU performance in Civ5, one of the most highly played and more GPU intensive games of 2010 that no one seems to mention when talking about it. However their testing suite, and some of the others around the net, are a little long in the tooth with the likes of Mass Effect 2, Dirt 2 and HAWX.

Now imagine a world in Q1 2012 where BF3, Skyrim, Arkham City, Saints Row 3rd, Mass Effect 3, Dirt 3, Dead Island, and Rage have been released and out in the wild long enough for driver releases and profiles to optimize, and where the 79X0 drops into stores. You'd better believe reviews of it are going to show performance in these games, alongside both the old-gen architecture of the 78X0 and the 69X0 and whatever nVidia has released by then to save face. That's going to be a great review, with the most favorable cross-section on both architecture's benefits, RAM types, price wars, performance in games that actually stress GPUs again and Crossfire feasibility/benefits than we've seen in the last 2 years. If we're lucky, they'll even toss in Bulldozer vs. i7 comparisons and really set the stage for PC gaming for the next couple of years.

Can't wait for the cards, but can't wait even less for a true measure of progress made since the release of the 5800 series. It's long overdue.

Yikes, I'd almost forgotten about RDRAM. "Good" times. :shadedshu

To be fair to XDR2 though, the charge of "unproven commercially" can be leveled against anything that is going first, and doesn't mean too much in business. Your ability to breathe the air in the Austrailian outback is unproven until you travel there. Please try not to rip apart that analogy too much. It made the point well enough without being perfect I think. :laugh:

Also, I disagree with the theory that AMD will allow itself to be milked. Both with its recent CEO shuffle and the fact that owning the only channel into the mass market spurring the development of XDR2 memory (via AMD GPUs) gives them serious leverage, AMD laying back and taking it doesn't seem too likely.
  16. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    All this is based off a fake road map, or in other words errors. The fake road map mixes desktop and mobile parts.

Desktop parts go: New Zealand (x2 part) > Tahiti > Pitcairn > Cape Verde > Lombok

Why would we trust a road map (that can't get the mobile and desktop parts right) for anything at all???

It's based off wishful thinking, not reality. This is almost as bad as the BD crap that is going around.
  17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Bulldozer and the Southern Islands GPU (HD7000 series) have one strong thing in common, both designs are completely brand new Built from the Ground Up. AMD hasent release a Brand New CPU is a very very long while. So the Bulldozer launch along with the Southern Islands GPU (HD7000 Series) should be something to write in the History Books IMO...

Are they going to perform as new Next Gen designs? Don't know, the Bulldozer requires a lot of super fine tweaking due to it's very complex but rewarding design, though once AMD gets it to perform as it is meant to perform, it should IMO blow away the competition.

As for the Southern Islands GPU, AMD already has a healthy lead in the graphics race, and this new design should further extend it's lead along with a massive boost in performance vs. the previous GENs (HD6900 and HD5800/HD5900)
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Here's a sentence with one word about two of those three things that have me personally excited: IOMMU.

If you do not know what an IOMMU is, that's becuase it's use, in the way I personally expect, IS cutting-edge-tech. Should be part of the 7-serise GPUs, is in AMD chipsets, and hould be part of Bulldozer as well.

Youe i7 920 should be sufficint for most uses, as are current AMD chips. Time will tell just what BUlldozer brings, and I refuse to speculate about anything Bulldozer. If you want concrete facts about BUlldozer, hit up the AMD website, and the blog section. Look for John Fruehe's posts. ;)
  19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I seen that ability on the Asrock 970 Extreme 4.

20. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Great news so far! Looks like I don't need to buy a new PSU to crossfire their next set of high-end cards :rockout:. Although I am hoping PCIE 3.0 8x/ PCIE 2.0 x8 wont hold back any performance, damn gigabyte :shadedshu.
  21. games010

Thanks Received:
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  23. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    of course those specs are fake in that generic chart,

amd dosent use weird bus sizes

128 256 512 etc that 384bit = not amds method.
  24. deftond New Member

Thanks Received:
    good point!! MOst people don't realize that a jump to the next generation is only smart if you want to go to a new dx like when it changed to dx10 form 9...dx10 was a rip off with Vista and dx11 with win7 was a good time to upgrade.

Pci-e 3.o is coming out and windows 8. It think once those two items mature then we will see a 7xxx series. I just got my 6950 so I am not going to upgrade for 2 generations. If anything get a second card for crossfire.

I just stopped using my 2 hd4850's om crossfire and have the same performance in all games I play. The 6950 handles the high resolutions with eye candy and more fps. But without using fraps and the eye candy you would never know.

I think there will be an upgrade to 3d performance, video decoding increased, and just a more efficient gpu although the 6900's are pretty efficient. I also owned a 6870 that was a powerhouse....I see them releasing the mid range first like they did with the 6870 and 6850..the sad thing is that a year later my 6950 has 2gb of ram and has a lot more performance for the same price I paid for the 6870..good the the xfx 6870 crapped the bed
  25. sliderider New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am waiting with baited breath for the arrival of the HD7870. If they can get that out the door for $250, they'll have a real winner.

The first one is fake since they show the 7990 utilizing GDDR5. The GDDR5 architecture would hamstring a 7990 which is why the move to XDR2 for the high end models. GDDR5 is still adequate for the mainstream cards and helps to keep the price down which is why they haven't gone to XDR2 across the entire range. The second chart at Lenzfire is the one that seems to be circulating on all the most reputable sites so I would find that and it's companion chart for the mainstream and low end dedicated graphics cards more believable.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011