1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by zanat0s, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Fishymachine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Word has it, AMD is ditching 2^n interfaces for a 384bit GDDR5.

Source

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I started to feel old today. I remembered that my first gaming card was an X1900XT that I put into my first gaming computer that I built myself.

Now we are on the 7 series.

3. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    You made me feel rather old with that comment, my first was the pci 3dfx voodoo with it's amazing 4mb of memory :laugh:

But then both of these comments will be making other users feel even older with their memory's of ISA video cards and there is probably a few kicking around who remember putting together their own altair 8800 back in the 70's :roll:

4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I really have to ask the question. When will the "What do you think about the HD 8000 Series" thread starts?

The 7xxx series isn't confirmed in any way, shape, or form. There is a vague rumor that AMD might be using a new type of RAM, on the highest end cards. There are hypothesis that the newest cards will be announced Q1 2012. None of this is any more substantial than jello. Developing any hype is stupid, there is no gentle way to put this.

Given how many hyped products have screwed up in the last several months, I wait with 0 expectations. Whenever something tangible hits the market you can wake me.

5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's sometimes fun to speculate. Weirdo's get their palms read, techies prophesise over silicon.

6. Fishymachine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably after we get the first taste of NCG(for good or bad), or after we hear more on the next (half) node, so probably not very far in the future :)

7. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    What's more fun?
    1) They hype of what you might get leading up to Christmas
    2) Christmas itself

8. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    The hype, obviously.

Its the closest thing adults can get to the starry-eyed speculation of what's under the wrapping paper of childhood.

Christmas, itself, is one dull throbbing pain in the ass! :laugh:

mastrdrver says thanks.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    sprightly get, ya dont remember the matrox m3d add in cards in the pentium era then, or 3dfx cards, ive still got a boxed new one with no home i just wont throw out

i hope the 7xxx cards performance is improved more then the last gen did, id like one card that does the work of 2+ again:)

10. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/leaked-catalyst-driver-shows-radeon-hd-7000-names/

11. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    "TRINITY DEVASTATOR DESKTOP"

Ohhhh..... :twitch:

12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You are but a child, my padawan.

ViperXTR and mastrdrver say thanks.
  13. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i thought the X1900 series is still pretty "new"

sound full of win yeah? >8D

14. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like the high end of the Radeon HD 7000 series. Who is it going to Devastate :D

15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not high-end HD7000-series. More like an APU. ;) Cape Verde XTX is more likely to be the high-end single GPU card.

mastrdrver says thanks.
  16. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    actually I get the feeling the highend isn't even on there. There is no 7800 or 7900 series listed. Must be a 7600XTX uberclocked midrange or something.

I should totally bring out my old 7500 so i can be leet and have a radeon 7000 series card before launch. lol

cadaveca says thanks.
  17. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    It will devastate your wallet!

Can't wait to see benches for the new Radeons and GTX cards.

18. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I just hope AMD's tech department doesn’t screw up ATI's Graphics. I also hope AMD grows a thick skin and does indeed come out with XDR2 memory for the higher end HD 7000 series. I think it's about time they move away from GDDR5 for now.

This is built from the ground up, just hope the FirePro boys didn't design this line or it may be another Bulldozer server part.

TSMC's low 32nm & 28nm yields are starting to irritate me. Intel would never run into crap like this, too bad AMD didn’t stick to its own fabs, dam funding was the problem and now they are forced to rely on being fabless.

19. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Here we go boys and the HD 7970 should either equal or outperform the current king HD 6990 Dual gpu card.
    Also new AMD slides.

The HD 7970/7950 are expected to use the XDR2 memory.............
    http://wccftech.com/amds-generation-radeon-hd-7970-gpus-performance-comparable-hd-6990/

And here another link with more details. Looks like the HD 7970 is going to be a monster with low power requirements. :)
    http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/44072-radeon-hd-7900-series-gets-new-architecture-and-xdr2-rambus-memory.html

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  20. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Neither. Christmas is a time that I spend with family, not spend sitting around lusting after stuff.

That said, the Christmas hype is generally well founded. You might get disappointed because of a crappy gift, but that's nothing to waiting two years with some vague sense of what might be. Two years builds a heck of a lot of expectations, which usually can't be lived up to. I prefer something that comes out of no where, performs as it does, and needn't deal with anticipation.

To offer grounding, I've seen tons of crap about Skyrim. I've read absolutely none of it, but purchased a pre-order. I do not build anticipation, so the eventual payoff is untainted by speculation.

Whenever the 7xxx series comes I hope it destoys current cards, and makes them look like a Delorean (high price, but little value) in comparison. I won't spend any effort building up any hype, because I've already seen the "improvements" of the 6xxx series. Power conservation is nice, but the increase in power was basically 0.

21. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im sort of hoping it will all tie in with pcie 3 implementation , if i was amd, thats when id want to have the 7 series ready, or close too anyhow.

22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    2048 shaders 64 Rops and 128TMu's = win :eek::D i may yet get my wish as that would no doubt pip my xfire setup especially watercooled and clocked, i got a ref 5870 on day1 (VTX3D?wrt) and watercooled, it ocs v well.imho will almost def be pciex 3 but backwards compatible :)

and their i was, waitin till 8xxx :roll: id imagine NVIDIA might also have something nice cookin too tho yum.

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh, the slides give no information as to the specifications of the card. The tables in the links are made up by the website. No new info here. Where you come up with 7970 should either equal or outperform a HD 6990 I have no idea. Judging from your past post on AMD, I'd say you pulled it from the "fanboy" bucket. Fanboy isn't a term I use lightly, I actually hate the term, but you fit the bill. I also understand people have their reasons for sticking with a certain company so I'm not "dissing" you or anything. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  24. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    bit harsh on a thread aimed at amd likers. and yeh i am one i like intel and nvidia too tho

probably true though them slides ,as they make sense relative to AMDs present tech and past steps still its all hyperbole anyway like this whole thread but peeps like to speculate.

25. WarraWarra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ATI you go girl. Time that ATI and AMD split again and only work jointly on the APU's to stop the AMD BD issues from spreading to ATI.