• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1 GB

If you're quoting me, the part i wrote is from anandtech.com, and they say HD6850, not HD6870

And for the record, it doesn't matter if 6870 was 249 at launch, i'm talkin about price/performance, in which the hd7770 is absolute garbage, only time i recall something like that was when the HD5770 came out and the HD4870 was marginally faster at a $20 cheaper price, by that time one could have said OHH directx 11 OK!

So, every other time you got more performance for the same price >>CURRENT PRICE<<. You have to be blind not to see it man, seriously.

Bottom line: In 16 months AMD has moved nowhere along the price/performance curve – if you go by launch prices you’re getting the same amount of performance per dollar today as you did in October of 2010.

Ignoring the current price of the 6850 for the moment, on average the 7770 delivers 90% of the 6850’s gaming performance for 90% of the 6850’s launch price.

All the people with HD4850, HD4870, that bought them for 110 and 140 bucks respectively, have nothing at that price range which can bring a 200% increase in perf for example.

I went from Geforce 6800GS, which i paid $215 for, to HD4870, $140:twitch:
That's 65% less price for 250% perf, among other advantages.

Now if i want 200% perf i would have to buy a HD6950 that costs $250 (or a HD7870 that hopefully will cost $250)...........no need to explain.....

yes i agree with you 100% and i wouldnt buy a 7770 now but my point is every product is expensive when it first comes out, therefore price/performance is something that is affected by the market/competition/demand and what not. in technology performance/watt is the most important because that decides how efficient they are getting.

another thing you should note is that this is GCN, while its 90% of the 6850s graphics capability, it has like 160% the 6850s compute capabilities which arent really benchmarked in the benchmarks ive seen(which makes sense since most people dont care about gpgpu much, but seeing a benchmark like civilization IV and the 7770 being on top it shows what GCN can pull), but overall that was the whole point of GCN as vliw4 already had real good graphics capability which is always the strength in vliw architectures, but what amd did is build something that fills in the weakness and that is compute/gpgpu

again most people might not really be aware or care about compute but it sure has its benefits or else nvidia/amd wouldnt be investing so much into it. and when the 2 major graphics companies are doing so then expect games in the future to take more advantage of it.

and back to the 6850 arguement, you need to note that at the time the battle between amd/nvidia was more intense than ever, so being released in such situation made the prices extra good, that was like the best time to buy graphics cards as nvidia almost cut prices of its line up by 100 dollars but that was after making profit. amd is doing the same thing now, they are making as much profit as they can, once nvidia comes out, amd will do 2 nvidia what nvidia did to them last year ;)

Last edited: