1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Key Features Listed

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 19, 2011.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We've already been through the specifications of HD 7970 "Tahiti" in some detail that matters to those who can draw a performance hunch looking at them. This latest slide shows you the feature-set this GPU comes with. To begin with, there are three main categories of feature updates: Graphics CoreNext, AMD Eyefinity 2.0, and AMD APP Acceleration. AMD claims CoreNext to be a "revolutionary" new architecture that changes the way the GPU crunches numbers.

For the past five generations (since Radeon HD 2000), AMD GPUs have used the VLIW (very-long instruction word) core arrangement. Even the latest VLIW4 introduced by Radeon HD 6900 series, was an evolution, than a revolution of that. CoreNext replaces VLIW stream processors with super-scalar Graphics Compute cores. This should translate to higher performance per mm² die-area, resulting in smaller GPUs, giving AMD room for greater cost-cutting if the competition from NVIDIA for this generation takes effect. The GPU itself is built on TSMC's new 28 nm silicon fabrication process. Next up, AMD confirmed support for PCI-Express 3.0 interface, that nearly doubles system bus bandwidth over the previous generation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To manage power, there's AMD's PowerTune technology that adjusts clock speeds both ways (both below and above specifications), to remain within a set power envelope. Then there's talk of ZeroCore technology, a feature that completely turns off the GPU when the operating system instructs it to "turn off monitors" when idling. This reduces power draw of the graphics card to under 3W, that's a 10X idle power draw reduction over the previous generation. This feature is also said to send non-primary GPUs when in a CrossFire setup (the second, third and fourth) to ZeroCore state while keeping the primary GPU (to which displays are connected) awake, when the user isn't running 3D-intensive tasks.

Moving on to Eyefinity 2.0, there's talk of some big changes. First is DDM audio, a directional audio system that outs independent 7.1 channel audio streams through each of the HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. When you move an audio output-producing application's window from one display to another, its audio stream dynamically shifts from one connector to another. A practical application of this could be running an extra-long HDMI cable from your PC to your living room. We'll leave your creativity to do the rest of the thinking. Eyefinity 2.0 will keep support for 5 x 1 landscape arrangement. The system will now support HD3D, display of stereoscopic 3D from each member display while compensating for the display's angle to the user's perspective and bezel.

Moving on, the APP runtime gets some feature updates that take advantage of the more powerful GPU compute architecture these GPUs come with. It will be designed for [heavy] computing loads (bitcoin magnets?), will feature SteadyVideo 2.0, which will further enhance videos after compensating the camera shake, Improved UVD could mean more video decoding features. Home 3D video is the next big thing, so the new UVD engine could address some performance issues related to that. Finally AMD will expand its developer ecosystem, more applications will support AMD APP.

Source: DonanimHaber

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    small typo ?

3. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    It's going to be a wicked graphics card, can't wait for the reviews. :)

4. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Genius on the audio output. There's so many features packed in to this bad boy.

5. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    im more interested in the GCN, wonder how effective this shift would be in real world apps.

6. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I will love if one of the gpus turn off completely when on your desktop, it makes perfect sense. I wonder if the gpu fan will switch off as well? They better make sure it work properly if it does. :) lol.

There are some really inovative features in the new card, lets hope there is some serious hp too...

7. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    So it would be safe to assume that W1zz is already playing with these right? If launch is the 22nd, he needs time for a review.

8. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

9. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I wish I was W1zz right now.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    More than general computing, i'd like to know if it brings any new features to the graphics itself. Like HD6900 series brought EQAA anti-aliasing, new MLAA anti-aliasing which i totally like etc. Stuff like this. They just talk architecture but no one is mentioning such goodies which are at least for me far more important.

11. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    It brings DirectX 11.1.

12. Fx

Fx

Thanks Received:
    I am very excited with this card and can hardly wait to see some reviews

13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully wizz runs a few open cl demos for the lulz to give us an idea of how much better these are at compute.

14. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Civ V for DirectCompute, i remember the HD 5000/6000 were poor at this compared to the nvidia counterparts

pantherx12 says thanks.
  15. Trackr New Member

Thanks Received:
    The launch is in 3 days??

Woah, where have I been..

16. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im having a chuckle to myself right now, i have absolutely no reason whatsoever to upgrade my current gpu to one of these new rads, but i really doubt that kinda logic is going to stop me in a week or two somehow, hahaha!
    ps anyone want to by a 6950?

17. KashunatoR

KashunatoR

Thanks Received:
    so i understand we will get the review on the 22nd, right?

18. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Yes, there will be reviews from TPU on the 22nd.

Easo, Frogger and KashunatoR say thanks.
  19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a pretty packed card. Wonder if it will have enough kick for a 1080P movie on one screen and video games on another.

20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    well my 570 can currently do 720P netflix and play skyrim with no noticeable hit, so I dont see why not. I think that is more of a software thing though.

Still have no idea how to bind programs to default sound devices in windows tho :shadedshu

21. air_ii

air_ii

Thanks Received:
    HalfAHertz says thanks.
  22. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The upgrade itch is sooo huge

The possibility to have 120hz across eyefinity will be awesome, will need a lot of horsepower to run over 60fps though.

23. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    So much win! Finally!

24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Awwwwwwwww yeaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mixed matched resolutions!

25. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! I really like the new Eyefinity. Each connector gets its own sound. So I can have a movie running in the living room for the family while I game in my room!