1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7990 6144 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Apr 15, 2013.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    I like to see amd testing drivers as well as cards. and people criticise amd for poor driver development. however timing does seem off with driver updates and new card.

hopefully all the drivers and release of 7990 should tie up nicely so that when all Is mainstream amd don't get castrated. thanks guys

2. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I think World of Warcraft should be taken out of crossfire testing as WOW has never officially supported multiple gfx cards, making w/e results for multi card setups tainted IMO.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    drivers... could be better

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So does Assassins Creed 3. :laugh:

@ drivers coming 2-3 months from now: That must be WHQL drivers. Betas should come earlier I think?

5. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Very well said,I think AMD is lacking again in all areas,Shame this card had so much potential but all it does with turd drivers is barley beat a 3 year old 6990.......Well another awesome review by Wizz at least.

6. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It beat it handily. Not sure what you're on about.

7. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    the low res scores 1280......1600 and so on .http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/5.html

yeah it beats it in games that have crossfire profiles but why in Asssins does the single cards beat it. Drivers no crossfire profile?,If i was spending $1000 on it and only played this game or that game don`t you think i would be mad.
    Really someone else nailed it that it only works on the popular games.
    LOL and i am a AMD Fan boy that is being honest.

8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    does any title "officially" support multiple graphics cards?

WOW scaling works fine on NVIDIA, on AMD it did work all the time. it's just broken on AMD since the MOP expansion was released.

AlienIsGOD and jihadjoe say thanks.
  9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ye gods man, that is an exception. If you ONLY played that game sure you'd be mad to buy a 7990.

10. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    This.
    Also the Blizzard games are still some of the most sold and played titles.
    World of Warcarft reported 9 million subscribers worldwide last time they release the figures.
    Even the most hated Diablo III still have around 1~2 million players worldwide regularly logs on. Not everyday but something like a few days a week.
    There is really no excuse for AMD's poor Crossfire drivers on these games when nVidia have no problems.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    AlienIsGOD, jihadjoe and W1zzard say thanks.
  11. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
    Wow this card sucks. Plain and simple. Amd had well over a year to work on drivers, and it still scales terrible in many areas.
    Ok enough on drivers - let's look at the hardware.
    1.) This card NEEDED to be $900 or less. I don't care how many freebies you throw in. The HD 7970 costs less than the GTX 680, so the twin card should cost less.
    2.) Power draw sucks. We expected better power characteristics with 'only' 2 8-pin PSU connectors. The only thing this did was kill o/c potential.
    3.) Even with the games that don't scale well removed, this card is only on par with a GTX 690. A card that has been out for quite some time.

6/10 would of been by rating. TPU - you are far to generous.

12. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
    Can someone come up with crossfire HD 7870 results. I have a feeling an "HD 7890" crossfire card would of gave this thing a run for its money.

13. 63jax

63jax

Thanks Received:
    weird, Guru3D found this card to be much better than TPU, who's right then? every site has it's own opinion, don't know who to trust anymore...

14. Rivage

Rivage

Thanks Received:
    The world's first legit reference cooling system?

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    look at the data, come to your own conclusion. take into account what matters for you. if you are a millionaire you obviously don't care about the $1k price .. or maybe you do very much care about pricing, because that's why you are still a millionaire.

did guru3d test the same games we do? if you exclude the ones where we saw issues with cf scaling, and assume such cases don't exist, the card would end up much better. if coil noise is not important to you: even higher score.

DRDNA, AnnCore and okidna say thanks.
  16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't really expecting anything until July. It's still April.

:toast:

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  17. alienstorexxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    tpu has lost all my respect since a long time ago, and this review matchs that idea.

18. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yet you still come here and post nonsense.............

19. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Can you be more specific?

radrok says thanks.
  20. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    someone at pcpers asked regarding the upcoming amd's radeon driver..

is that true?

my suggestion : trust your own opinion

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  21. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    When you make such a statement it's expected (and polite) to state why, otherwise you end up being mistaken as a troll or perhaps, you are.

Considering that TPU reviews have often set the bar for reviews excellency I'll just be polite and say you have a very awkward method of judgement.

I have yet to find a reviewer that comes close to W1zzard as quality and thoroughness.

So please give your statement a backup, I am sure TPU staff always looks for feedback.

22. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    That's correct, I didn't mean to imply their new driver will only be for Windows 8, I'll fix my original post. my card was picked up on Saturday morning, so I couldn't test on Windows 7. That's why I wrote "at the time"

AMD provided the Windows 7 driver to me on Monday morning, not on Saturday (I talk to EU team, Ryan to NA)

okidna, HD64G and SIGSEGV say thanks.
  23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    If you read a lot of reviews, AMD sent out the alpha drivers very late. A lot of reviewers couldn't test them properly. It was bad resourcing from AMD. They should have held back until they could supply the alphas to test with cards.

24. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    This deserves a "No Thanks" and a ban from the internet. You have to ask yourself this question. If you had to choose who would win in a fight between W1zzard and Chuck Norris then you would be wrong on both answers cause W1zzard IS chuck Norris of the GPU world.

DRDNA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    high price, coil whine (like seriously that alone is a deal breaker), poor crossfire scaling, multiple games where crossfire doesn't work at all, dropped frame issue still present...

that's quite a bit. Pay 1000$ get plagued with issues, get a single 7970 for less than half the price and end up with a happy wallet and a happy gamer. Funny how the more things change the more they stay the same. Most of those issues were present when crossfire launched with a master/slave setup. Now many years later the same thing is true, a good single card nets you a better experience.