1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7990 Clock Speeds and Core Config Confirmed, Tested

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 22, 2013.

1. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    1080p for 2 7970's... when a single 7870 can do the job... getting warmer. :p

2. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    why choosing a 409 if u can buy or have the money for a 502..... :wtf:
    at least i buy em from hard earned money instead of "showing off" with sponsor gifts..... poor world

3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Why buy a 409 or 502 when you can only drive it in an area with speed limits? Basically, 1080p with such cards are neutering their potential...especially with that CPU being their driver. You would really want to upgrade to IB or Haswell to get the most out of that setup all around. Not to say performance isnt plenty acceptable there anyway, but the FX will hold back CF/SLI setups at the same clocks according to some reviews. Its akin to buying a super car to only drive it in a school zone. Sure its cool to have, there is no doubt we will be poked in the eye by e-peen. :)

Note the 1080p results on some games...

EDIT: And note, that is OK to do what you are doing, its just something I personally wouldn't do, no matter how I received the items. Waste is waste, ESPECIALLY if I earned that money and planned to spend it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Hey I had 1080p for a while with my cards; 35% gpu usage FTW :laugh:

EarthDog says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    lol first we have only a few speed limits here in .de, any of your friends which where in service over here will agree, if you old enough, lol..... and if u choose a 502 u know you can crank it up but u don´t need to .....just to know u could if u need it...... this is no "FX" talk here and my conclusion from your output is fanboy talk..... and we are getting of topic

EOF

6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Lulz, son, the only fanboy is my wallet. Pulling fanboy out of fact...priceless.

ONE 7970 is plenty and there 'if I needed it' at 1080p.

"EOF"

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Makes no sense if all you do is game. No fanboyism here, just the way it is. That similie doesnt really work here.

8. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    all i was saying that i would love to have the card, who not ? "it will be a greenboy butt kicker" as shown on picture 1st post and as they have shown already with older models, too

and that i´m still fine with my good old 4870x2 on actual game titles compared to the age/price of that card.... my 6990 is to "new" to tell how long it will last. may till 9990 ? who knows.

this was more like an personal quality/durability rating on choosing such product vs. single or upgrading every modell....

if you do CAD/GFX/ARTS, similar stuff or even simple nagios/zabbix monitoring i agree to have as much res as you can but then it might be betta to go on FirePro/GL or equivalent nvidia modell
    gaming on 2560x1440 or higher is nice, no doubt but not an explicit musthave to defend the choice of dual cards.

i compared a single 6970, same setup, same Card Vendor, to a 6990 on lotsa game titles, benchmarks on my available resolutions, for me this was the right decision to go on 6990 by it results platform independent, twice a 6970 where same price to a 6990, 2nd thing is if you like to change cooler/fan and or go on wb it´s cheaper should be same on nvidia models aswell, so there is nothing complain about.....

if ppl like such out "of the box" products, let em have it :cool:

cmon

how to know what my card is not for other stuff in use like e.g. crunching.... ?
    instead you get into a "Intel´s product line with ATI based dual GPU" commercial
    and picking on a "FX" chip never mentioned by me or compared here in this thread ?
    i cannot get the grip.

:toast:

9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Wow I just had to look on wikipedia and it has indeed been nearly 1.5 years since they released the 7970 (non ghz) (Jan 12) I'm really glad that they did not release the 8*** series a year later as the 7950/7970 and infact all of the 7*** series are still very capable in their respective market segments.

10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Because one would think you would have mentioned it when being poked at with using such horsepower on a 'meager' resolution...and still havent... so you dont. :p

I think you misunderstood the nature of my reply (no clue about anyone else)... I brought up the FX CPU at times limiting CFx/SLI setups as an FYI, not as a dig at all on the CPU. It is what it is. It seemed to me that you were looking at buying it and I had intended to show you what would be best for that particular setup. I'm not a fanboy, in fact quite the antithesis of such a thing. I took an informative angle and got 'fanboy' thrown in my face, LOL! My apologies if I was unclear in my motives here.

Anyhoo, EOF and end OT and all that already can we?

11. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    shure m8

:toast:

12. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    n0tiert says thanks.
  13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    NDA should lift in like 10 minutes

Come on TPU give us some nekkid PCB shots... :O

I'm such a fanboy of AMD dual GPU cards it's tempting me.