1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon R9 290X 4096 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Oct 24, 2013.

1. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason to lower prices when Newegg can't keep them in stock. There must be a lot of people who want the card even if it isn't the best value. As I said earlier in this thread, the card is worthless if you can't find one to purchase. If AMD can't fix their supply in the next week or two then the company will miss the lucrative holiday season.

That's a comical way of putting it, but it is true. It's almost as if the driver team is so short-handed that the managers have to tell the entire driver team to stop everything non-critical (i.e. not a BSOD/crash fix) for two months before a product release to ensure that the upcoming product has good release drivers. But in the mean time they neglect all the rest of their product line for that same period.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think everyone needs to lower their prices...... still but not sure (yet) why AMD in particular, NVidia seemed to keep their prices high on the Titan even when you could get the 780 with only a minor performance hit for so much cheaper, some still bought the Titan's, as some have already said, 1st release prices where availability is limited are rarely the prices seen after a few weeks when there are more on the shelves.

If anything, the release of these new AMD cards has made me reconsider buying a 780, the effect of this release and it's knock on effect has been very favorable for the consumer and for that alone AMD should be congratulated.

HTC and N3M3515 say thanks.
  3. N3M3515

N3M3515

Thanks Received:
    +1
    My exact thoughts.
    I'm even considering a GTX 670 OC(1046Mhz) i saw at $250 :eek:

Tatty_One says thanks.
  4. qurotro

Thanks Received:
    nice one !:toast:seems that nvidia is gonna cut down GTX780ti's compute ability...it sound sad that a complete GK110 that lost its compute ability:cry:

5. Armagg3don

Armagg3don

Thanks Received:
    Guys, what do you think about these results?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do not you think this performance but irregular, caused by excessive consumption and temperatures, makes me feel surprised and disappointed with the final performance of the card.

Any opinion on the matter?

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    More than 25k PPD
  7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to post this because I actually found it lacking in the review. It seems simple enough sure but I can also say I was honestly a little confused about the bios switch positions since left and right are completely relative and i mean who knows right? That said im falling apart watching my 290x make its way across the country hurry up FEDEX!

• Quiet Mode” – Bios position one. Switch is in position closest to where you plug in your displays. (toward DVI connectors) This mode is designed to optimally suit a gamer that wants to keep a tight lid on acoustics. If you do not play with headphones, you do not have a high end gaming chassis, or your room’s ambient noise level is extremely low this may be the mode for you.
    • Uber Mode” – Bios position two. Switch is in position furthest away to where you plug in your displays (toward POWER connectors)

8. BIGARC

BIGARC

Thanks Received:
    I went from 2 gtx 670's on water @ 1346 core / 7456 mem effective and my xfx r9 290 x @ core 1131 / 1390 mem is pretty much on par but that is going from to epic overclocking 670's !im ridiculously hapy with my new amd card on water :) cant wait to be able to adjust the volts !! oh and my 670's beat my mates 780 ti overclocked to 1300 MHz by a small margin :)

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Uber mode, prefer Performance Mode

10. Domokun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi W1zzard,

Sorry to nag, as I know you're probably extremely busy, but I'm just wondering if you ever got around to writing the above mentioned article?

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no time.

12. sweet

Thanks Received:
    • Review Troll warned
    Ask him to review a 760 from nVidia, a GPU released 7 months ago, he will eagerly provide you http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_760_Mini_ITX_Gaming/
    Ask him to review a custom cooler 290x, he will give you the worst variance: Asus DC II, which have 1 fully contacted heatpipe, 2 partly, and 2 others just for show.[​IMG]

In short, don't ask :lol:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure W1zzard would be happy to review any card he gets his hands on. Since the IHV's don't seem overly interested in handing out review samples, maybe you could buy a few and send them to him...while you're at it, buy a few extras and send them to the other sites as well since only a small number of sites seem to have any reviews of vendor designs apart from the Asus DC2.
    I'm hoping your bank balance matches the size of your sense of entitlement.

qubit says thanks.
  14. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
  15. sweet

Thanks Received:
    LOL, it's his JOB to review cards, not mine.
    By the way, I stated facts, and what you gave was just an assumption. For any sense, if he is happy to review a 760 just only because he has it in hand, I will happy to send him a 260, maybe he will review it :)

16. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Send him a few 290X's...after all, weren't you bleating on about TPU only reviewing the DC2 ? I guess W1zzard might be happy to review some warmed-over-Bonaire budget orientated card, although I'm guessing you won't be sending anything - whether it be PM or board.
    And for that I am eternally thankful

qubit says thanks.
  17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ That in itself is an assumption :D

qubit and HammerON say thanks.