• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readies Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

Do you think HD 7970 GHz Edition can make HD 7970 attractive again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • For me it never lost attractiveness

Votes: 47 56.0%

• Total voters
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I thought we like banned the words "fan boy".. Well.. we should..lol..

I just want accurate numbers. Nvidia and Ati, don't pay me to advertise. I just had a 5850 but I want to try the 680.. green or red? idc.. honestly..

This "out of stock" issue, with the 6 series, is f'n dumb though..
To me, it simply makes sense, to want Ati, to have a card, as good or better, than Nvidias line.
Consumer wins.. That's all I care about..
Amazes me, how worked up, people get over this stuff.

I hope the new line, kicks ass and everyone who has a card, they pay top dollar for, enjoys it. Preferrably, without coming back, the the forums, to say "ahahaha your drivers are messed up", or something equally rude..
7970 is still, a great card, at an attrative price.
:toast:

Why would amd cut the price of 7970 if gtx 680 isn't available?
I'm thinking the price cut had less to do with what the GTX680 did, while yes AMD knew by the first days of April Nvidia would have issues keeping the pipe at anything more than a trickle, why sweat it.

I see AMD as more anxious with their problems with TSMC, quality production from TSMC and yields/volumes was their reason for trepidation. I mean TMSC started delivering first rate production probably the end of Feb, but I'm sure AMD wait to see if they were out of the woods. Consider if TSMC couldn't repeat on the improved process, that original price was could maintain strong margins. Once that was sorted out and AMD found 1GHz where as designed and strong numbers, they’d wanted to cut inventory of the original 925Mhz parts so they don't peeve-off those who bought back Feb-March time frame. I see them setting 1Ghz version at a $480-500 MSRP and see what the market reacts like; GTX680 inventories and what the outcome of other GK104 parts might produce.

It's only a fact if all you do is gaming. Once you toss anything GPGPU in the mix, whether it be hardware acceleration, folding, etc, then the 7970 is a better card. 5-10% slower in games but 200-300% faster in GPGPU. yeahhh......
But if you don't do anything GPGPU then yeah the 680 probably calls to you more.

I bet about 1-2% of buyers actually buy a mainstream GPU for GPGPU processing. The other 98-99% buy GPU's for gaming. So that argument is pretty much invalid. If the majority of people actually gave a crap about GPGPU processing, the 7970's should be the ones selling out and not the 680's.

Are there any 680's in stock anywhere?
No.
You know why?
Because gamers are buying them to play games, not to fold all day.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I bet about 1-2% of buyers actually buy a mainstream GPU for GPGPU processing. The other 98-99% buy GPU's for gaming. So that argument is pretty much invalid. If the majority of people actually gave a crap about GPGPU processing, the 7970's should be the ones selling out and not the 680's.

No.
You know why?

No because production was prioritized for AMD to begin with. They are selling out is because the quantity is so low. Very little supply.

No.
You know why?
Said 1-2% of buyers are going to make up 75%+ of the users who are likely to run their PC folding in their spare time, or bitcoin mine, as the other 98-99% don't build their own PC and get whatever is the best prebuilt they can find in town, or order off of the internet. Not many prebuilts will come with the top-end-of-top-end cards.
And the reason their not in stock is that Nvidia didn't get TSMC priority. People want to buy them when their in supply. Those that are in supply for the most part are overstocked and make the 7970 an even better deal than it is, as price / performance it is even with the 680 where it's sitting right now.
Plus, if more games utilize GPU computing in the future, then the Civilization V results will make the 7970 a better option, although I have a feeling it won't be common until after this batch is obsolete. Still a move in the right direction though.

because production was prioritized for AMD to begin with
In what world would AMD have priority over Nvidia? Plain and simple Nvidia had more issue then just the normal TSMC 28Nm process those where bad, but might also be complicated by the HG HkMG process they choose to design with, along with other architectural faux-pas. Somehow it’s AMD fault... :roll:

In what world would AMD have priority over Nvidia? Plain and simple Nvidia had more issue then just the normal TSMC 28Nm process those where bad, but might also be complicated by the HG HkMG process they choose to design with, along with other architectural faux-pas. Somehow it’s AMD fault... :roll:

Because AMD placed orders first and got dies before nvidia perhaps? :laugh:
Though the process may also be a contributing agent.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

If nVidia could get enough wafers in the first place, they wouldn't be shopping around for 28nm from places other than TSMC. That's what he is refering too...AMD and others have already bought all of TSMC's 28nm capacity, so AMD is seen as the priority. AMD had their chips done and ready first, and without much issue, so yields, on TSMC's part, are perfectly fine. If it was a matter of needing to change design, Nvidia would have done so, so the idea that there are problems with NV's GK104 chip design seems incorrect.

If nVidia wasn't looking elsewhere for wafers, and if TSMC's partner's weren't all gushing about how good 28nm @ TSMC is, then you'd have a possible valid point, but with those facts in hand, it does not seem that you do.

It's not that AMD is at fault..Nvidia simply failed to realize and purchase needed supplies in time. Now they have a launched product they cannot keep on shelves, and no way to get more chips...pretty basic stuff here.

Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs did not blame yields but cited lack of capacity for constrained supplies which impacted Q1 revenues.

Altera has made no criticism of yields but said it could not get enough supply to meet an up-tick in demand late in Q1.

Jen-Hsun Huang of Nvidia is the only CEO to publicly accuse TSMC of having poor yields on 28nm and also announce that he's off to Samsung to get 28nm fab. However some people have pointed out that Nvidia's yield problem could be down to design flaws

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/bl...r-blog/2012/04/28nm-continues-to-perplex.html

Last edited:
Because AMD placed orders first and got dies before nvidia perhaps? :laugh:
Though the process may also be a contributing agent.
First in line first to get severed... Whiner's got to Whine.

Nvidia simply failed to realize and purchase needed supplies
They're not newcomers they knew if they got the GTX680 the way the wanted to turn out it would fly off shelves. Yes back end of Nov-Dec when Nvidia figured out they could move on the GTX680, they where late getting in line. AMD had orders in the hoper and then mid-late Jan TSMC had the shut-down, which best guess was they didn't really start-up until after the Chinese New Year.
As I said if Nvidia is having problems they're not because of AMD, while Nvidia's problem are way more than a couple of weeks old... it start when the GK100 went south in October.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sure, AMD has nothing to do with this, other than this revision of the HD7970 proving that any issues that nVidia has is their own.

Design problems, failing to secure enough wafers, or TMSC problems don't really matter. All I can say is that in my post above, we have Jen Hsun Huang claiming yield issues, yet on Nvidia's website, the exact opposite is claimed. Since Nvidia can't get their story straight, of course it's all their fault.

TMSC 28nm is doing very well for AMD. They actaully seem to be doing pretty good all around, actually. FX CPUs may not be at hte perforamcne levels most expected, but they still sell, even with Intel offering more CPU performance in the same price range. GTX doesn't out-strip HD7970 like iNtel Beat AMD's CPUs, so clearly AMD's on the right track, and nVidia is not.

Anyway, I do not believe that GK100 exists, so anything pertaining to it I do not even pay a bit of attention to.

Time wil lshow if these GHz edition GPUs are the same votlage as first cards, or if they get a voltage boost...until I fidn that out, none of this is very important, IMHO. Interesting, but not important.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Anyway, I do not believe that GK100 exists, so anything pertaining to it I do not even pay a bit of attention to.

At least one might be in this man's hands.

"Opening Keynote - May 15 @ 10:30am PT

NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang will kick off the conference with the opening address. He'll review the dramatic and growing impact of GPU technology in science, industry, design and many other fields.

And, he'll announce some big GPU news that you'll not want to miss.

For those of you who can't make it in person, we will provide a video livestream from the keynote."

This will be at GTC. I'm afraid it has nothing to do with gaming.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK, but so now Mailman is saying that becuase of nVidia's issues, AMD has been given priority @ TSMC. AMD were ready with a working design to place their order first, and now many months later nVidia has GK104 ready, and Nvidia cannot get enough wafers to meet demand, and must look elsewhere.

Meanwhile, AMD is seeing a benefit from yield increase, and is launching this faster edition, it is surmised here. But nVidia has not launched GTX670, GTX 660, only older cards, like mentioned @ your link.

Of course, we can only guess that AMD's early success with their current-gen chip design affected nVidia's ability to buy more wafers, but it does seem to make sense.

Anyway, going form 925 MHz to 100 MHz on the same votlage technically represents a 7.75% increase in chip quality and efficiency. If we take Nvidia at face value, and yield issue are true for them, the best they can see right now is a 7.75% increase is chip quality, but NOT 7.75% MORE working chips. IF anything, if it truly is better GPUs out fo TSMC without AMD binning for this from earlier wafers, then nvidia realyl si in trouble like Charlie says.

It's just obvious. And that's why Charlie is uninspiring. Most people can take 1 + 1 + 1 and get to 3. Sometimes he gets 4, sometimes, 3.:laugh:

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 C1 @ 3.83GHz
Motherboard Asus P5E64 WS Evolution 0802
Cooling Sunbeamtech CR-CCTF Core Contact Freezer 120MM + 400W TEC
Memory Corsair Dominator DDR3 1800(PC3 14400) 4GB
Video Card(s) BFG NVidia GTX 260 (216 SP)
Storage Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 SAS 300GB (x2) 15K.6 SAS 300GB (x1) + Adaptec 2405 SAS RAID Controller
Display(s) LG 24" W2452T + LG 23" W2353V
Case Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Professional Titanium
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700W + 2x 400W 12V Meanwell Power Supplys
1. Intel has nothing to do with display standards

You obviously don't read TPU enough: http://www.techpowerup.com/164133/Intel-to-Push-for-Higher-Resolution-PC-Displays-Arrive-in-2013.html

2. 4K is already a standard- or a number of them to be exact;
4096 x 2160 (4K)
3840x2160 (QFHD)
Yes 4K is a standard but its not used as "THE" standard as 1080P is. You walk into an electronics store and all you see is 1920x1080 now. 1920x1200 used to be widely available at electronics superstores online or not. Plus technology has been around for TV's at 1920x1080 resolution since the late 90's you would think computer resolutions would have improved by much much more since then.

Now check the pricing, and work out if we're in any danger of 4K gaming overrunning us.
Once upon a time everyone thought a Riva TNT2 card was the best graphics card you could ever get... I'm sure many cell phones out there have more processing power at cheaper costs. In due time anything can happen.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Yes 4K is a standard but its not used as "THE" standard as 1080P is. You walk into an electronics store and all you see is 1920x1080 now. 1920x1200 used to be widely available at electronics superstores online or not. Plus technology has been around for TV's at 1920x1080 resolution since the late 90's you would think computer resolutions would have improved by much much more since then.

because what you want, matters less then what they want to make and sell you and you can get an 8K screen if you have the money, a lot

roll on new 7970 bench time ;), ah sod it any 8xxx news on the wire

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
OK, but so now Mailman is saying that becuase of nVidia's issues, AMD has been given priority @ TSMC. AMD were ready with a working design to place their order first, and now many months later nVidia has GK104 ready, and Nvidia cannot get enough wafers to meet demand, and must look elsewhere.

Meanwhile, AMD is seeing a benefit from yield increase, and is launching this faster edition, it is surmised here. But nVidia has not launched GTX670, GTX 660, only older cards, like mentioned @ your link.

Of course, we can only guess that AMD's early success with their current-gen chip design affected nVidia's ability to buy more wafers, but it does seem to make sense.

Anyway, going form 925 MHz to 100 MHz on the same votlage technically represents a 7.75% increase in chip quality and efficiency. If we take Nvidia at face value, and yield issue are true for them, the best they can see right now is a 7.75% increase is chip quality, but NOT 7.75% MORE working chips. IF anything, if it truly is better GPUs out fo TSMC without AMD binning for this from earlier wafers, then nvidia realyl si in trouble like Charlie says.

It's just obvious. And that's why Charlie is uninspiring. Most people can take 1 + 1 + 1 and get to 3. Sometimes he gets 4, sometimes, 3.:laugh:

I dont think its anything wrong with yield/design issues for Nvidia. It sounds more logical that they just cannot get enough chips since AMD and some others have already bought out their entire 28nm stock. I mean you can assume that TSMC is working at and pretty good speed to fullfil orders, but at this point its not enough. I just hope Nvidia can get a healthy stock of GK104s so i can get my Evga SC+ Signature GTX680 in a month :))))))))))))

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Did they? If so, who's fault is that?

what do you mean whose fault is that? AMD and so on jumped on it got their shit done and bought all the wafers they could. Which turns out to be everything and then some. Now Nvidia is screwed.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
what do you mean whose fault is that? AMD and so on jumped on it got their shit done and bought all the wafers they could. Which turns out to be everything and then some. Now Nvidia is screwed.

You have a TMSC insider informant?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores

screwed? oh really? :laugh:

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Don't most of the 7970's achieve these clock rates already?

AMD needs to do something, GK110 is coming

So's the gtx680! Still waiting :rolleyes:

It's an AMD conspiracy! They bought every single wafer they could just to screw Nvidia :rolleyes: :roll:

I want some of that kool - aid hahaha

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
screwed? oh really? :laugh:

Why else would they be going to other corporations for 28nm fabrication? They have this card launched yet they can't fullfil the demand and keep them in stock at retailers. Its been what almost a month since it has launched and still barely any signs of resupply at retailers. Only place ive seen so far that has maybe a few is TigerDirect, and even then you never know if you go to put one in your cart and it says its out of stock. And i know there are 0 at my local Frys.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
Why else would they be going to other corporations for 28nm fabrication? They have this card launched yet they can't fullfil the demand and keep them in stock at retailers.

who's fault then? :laugh:
still do you want to blame AMD for this? ;)

Don't most of the 7970's achieve these clock rates already?

So's the gtx680! Still waiting :rolleyes:

It's an AMD conspiracy! They bought every single wafer they could just to screw Nvidia :rolleyes: :roll:

I want some of that kool - aid hahaha

i want to ask you something, why nvidia didnt put their order first at TSMC ? (although they've already had design problems :D)
and now, their fans begin to blame amd for this~
this is so funny.. LMFAO :laugh:

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
So, back to the topic.

" Do you think HD 7970 GHz Edition can make HD 7970 attractive again? "

The 7970 was never unattractive in my opinion, it was just priced wrong from the get go.
I think the GHz edition will be a nice welcome if its $449. I still think $469 is too much for a plain 7970. Fact is, the 680 does beat the 7970 in the majority of the games that actually matter (BF3, ding ding ding), so asking $30 less isn't enough. I think $50 less would make the 7970 the perfectly priced card. When the 670's launch, I have a feeling they will perform RIGHT under the 7970 but cost a good $50-60 less than the cheapest 7970. It would be in AMD's best interest to not bother releasing a "GHz" SKU and focus on strategic pricing, like they do with their processors.

I had/have both a 7970 and a GTX 680. Both are fantastic cards. However, I do like the 680 better. On the contrary, I like AMD's driver interface MUCH more than Nvidia's. They each have their pros and cons, but this time around, the 680 is the superior card. This is FACT, not fascinated fiction. It does indeed beat a reference 7970 in almost all benchmarks. It may not be a huge amount, but its enough to matter. Factor in the $549 MSRP vs 680 $499 MSRP, and its pretty obvious what the better card is. 7970 GHz and 7970 need to be $449 and $429 to make most people give a turd.

the hd7970 is $479 not 549 get it straight, it WAS 549 on releas