1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readies Trio of Athlon II X4 Processors in FM2 Package

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Nah it won't be better. These new Athlon II's are Trinity based on Piledriver. So it'll be clock for clock faster than Bulldozer. The Trinity APUs are already faster than Bulldozer.

2. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    So L3 doesnt help gaming?

3. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    The GPU is disabled in these chips...

4. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    Not that much...if you were doing gaming and something else maybe it will help but I haven't really tested it out. (I haven't checked other peoples benchmarks and did a comparison of all)
    The SLI is a board feature not a CPU feature... A85H/X boards introduce Nvidia SLI

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the architecture of the processors in question. I don't think L3 significantly improves gaming performance.

Look at the AM3+ Athlon II X4 645 without L3 compared to the Phenom II X4 945 with L3 cache. In gaming the separation is between 4-15 FPS depending on the game. That isn't a big improvement.

Also in some games like Dirt 2 L3 cache can decrease performance.

But really who knows? Because the Trinity might be even more or even less sensitive to L3 cache than deneb. Lets wait and see.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X4_645/10.html

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

^ this exactly. i have seen people assembling all sort of expensive shit just to surf the et, do facebook, watch HD movies and play famville or MW2 on the net :/

7. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I assume these are Trinity cores (bulldozer 1.5)? They better be priced substantially less than their APU counterparts or clocked significantly higher.

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if you notice the speed of l3 on amds, they are pretty much same as the ddr3 memory speeds. so i dont think it helps much.

9. Andy77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they has the dough... but overall you might think that these people won't upgrade yearly like we do, they buy and use for 4, 5 years. It's that time-frame which makes some parts obsolete, or slow performing.

Substantially?... well, Athlon FM1 + a better discreet graphics is a little bit more as its Llano counterpart where I'm from. It just allows you to switch the graphics for something better, a mid-range probably, if what Llano has isn't enough while subtracting the cost of onboard GPU.

10. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Our perception of slow is different for the average user. My mother couldn't tell the difference between a single core sempron and a multi core Athlon II X4.

SIGSEGV says thanks.
  11. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    also my father couldnt tell the difference between an amd phenom x4 955 running default and an intel i7 2600k clocked @4.5Ghz :laugh: :respect:

Dent1 says thanks.
  12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    For most of my daily tasks, switching from a Phenom II w/ a sata 2 SSD to an i5-2500k @4.8 ghz w/ a sata 3 SSD there is very little perceptible difference.

In fact, I only really see a noticible diffference in CPU bound games.