• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports 2013 First Quarter Results

Can't be proven either way I guess but if AMD admit there are ongoing issues

http://www.techpowerup.com/178129/AMD-to-Fix-GCN-Latency-Issues-with-Driver-Updates.html?cp=2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6857/amd-stuttering-issues-driver-roadmap-fraps
(in which AMD software guys sat down with Anandtech guys to discuss the issues)

then that has an impact on brand reliability, which will eventually have an impact on market value.

Look what happened to Apple after it ditched Google Maps. Bad PR reduced share price. AMD's driver reliability in certain set ups is an issue. If you looked back you might see Fermi's toaster jokes and power draw problems hit Nvidia's market value. Ultimately profits are driven by many things but solid performance will always help and little hiccups here and there do not.

Generally speaking it is not as simple as that .There are some other things like partner support / bribed press/ social media marketers etc . May i point you to zealot nvidia defenders while AMD/ATI had better products or how people close their eyes to nvidia driver problems .
May i point how tech press closed eyes to nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB problems or intel socket problem http://www.anandtech.com/show/2859 AMD would get tortured and executed for something like that or how most went silent with intel errata problem at beginning of core2duo era.
Do you know intel i820 chipset problem ; it was designed for rambus originally but intel used with sdram and users had memory corruption problems , motherboards called back in lucky countries .But you can see AMD problems all over net

AMD can have the fastest, smoother card etc. Xfire fixed and software fully optimized with the best Game bundles with a 4 month lead and it still won`t sell more chips than Nvidia. AMD do not have a loyal customer/fan base as Nvidia (Just look at sales of 77/78 vs 650/660). AMD had a massive lead in lower/mid end for 6 months and still didn't sell as well as when nvidia released; meaning people waited 6 months for nvidia lower/mid cards that were slower, more expensive and used more power with no games over something AMD had from day one (Thats insane loyalty).

The AMD customers/fans will switch to nvidia with a drop off a hat if Nvidia is better, whereas Nvidia customers/fans will not even if nvidia is worse (Performance/price doesn't matter to them).

AMD`s biggest enemy is AMD itself = Marketing and people in charge of GPU Reviews

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Eagleye, I 100% agree.

To add to your comment, it also applies with the CPU market of AMD.

AMD can have the fast CPU on the market and customers will still opt for a slower and more expensive Intel solution. The history show us that even when the lower end Sempron & Duron Socket A and Socket 754 was outperforming the "high end" Pentium 4 Northwood, back when the Athlon XP was topdog, and when the Athlon 64 and Athlon FX was outperforming the Pentium 4 Prescott & Cedar Mill, and when the Athlon X2 was outperforming the Pentium D...customers were still loyal to Intel.

In my experience the non enthusiasts (largest in the CPU market) assume Intel means quality, regardless of benchmarks or market changes. This correlates to the GPU market too, non enthusiasts will always assume Nvidia means quality.

Only gradual change and money dumped into marketing will change customer perception of ATI/AMD.

Last edited:
Then people wonder why there only 100-200 registered members and 5-7k visitors/guest. With a active user base like this crowd who would bother signing up

I'm sure visitors/guest read comments and say, "Bah, more Headline posters in this forum, Next" (Click to there next source)

:rolleyes:

AMD op base is at $700m. Aslong at it keeps op above that so no need to panic.

Revenue
Q1-2013 $1,088 (above $700mil)

Gross Margin
Q1-2013 41% (Q4-2012 15% / Q1-2012 2%)

Op loss
Q1-2013 98m (Q4-2012 422m / Q1-2012 580m)

Unless a pre-schooler can beat you at adding and subtracting the numbers are headed in the right direction. The new management is doing its job.

Rory Read - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - President and CEO
And, Glen, from a standpoint of a strategic strategy here, and why we went after this market so strongly is -- from our perspective, I think we are
building on a strong base in the PC space and the discrete graphics space. Now we go after the console. And with the work that we've done at
Nintendo Wii U, and now with the Sony PS4, these game developers spend a lot of money as they move to the next generation. And with the
consolidation of the game console wins that we've announced, you can see that this would allow them to develop in a more effective way, a more
cost effective way. And you'll see us leverage our technology across that base from a strategic standpoint.
It lowers the partners' time-to-market; it lowers their cost of development. So it speeds that. And additionally, as they tune now to our development
technology, which they're going to be able to do, it's going to perform better on our hardware and software, both from a PC from a discrete graphics,
and then from a game console base. I think that sets a very nice foundation to continue to build that.
And then, Glen, you saw us double down in this space where we focused to really go after those game developers, with the Never Settle Reloaded
campaign, where we went after those biggest and most important games in the industry and showed that partnership. Again, I think this is all part
of a longer-term game plan to really create a differentiated experience that creates a solution for the partners, for our customers; and, ultimately,
the better experience for the customer.

:toast:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
And all reasoning is lost when somebody uses the words quoted above. I must be a fanboi then as i mentioned drivers. But that's because I had experience of it. Can't we have a reasoned discussion or is it too hard to resist resorting to petty name calling. Grow up mate, normally you're not like this.

and again from another.

When the first person starts throwing 'fanboi' or 'zealot' around you have lost the discussion.
I was busy and in work so here is a more intelligent response.

Take your driver issues to a driver based thread fella ,as it's getting boreing reading similar responses to every amd titled thread.

I didn't single anyone out though as a troll but I am seriously pondering the possibility we have hired trolls in this forum .for clarity Imho you are not one .
Human smokes a possibility though :p

After two more read through's im putting most of my posts in this thread down to a terrible day at work sos guys..

Last edited:
System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
If its a deliberate strategy then
Sorry about that. I was under the impression that better optimized drivers equates to better relative performance in reviews...which equates to better PR/Marketing, which in turn equates to better sales and brand awareness. I Didn't realize all that had no impact on the companies bottom line.

Well, if you think about it, it doesn't have an impact. You have to buy an AMD gpu, pay your money to the retailer, who has paid it to AMD; in effect pay AMD. Then wait until you have a "bad" experience with a driver. (Notice the quotations, they change the meaning of the sentence.)

From what I've seen, with AMD drivers over the last 2 years, there has not been any problem. Whether or not someone's favorite game is properly supported, at launch, is not a problem with the driver 'technology', it's a problem that's tied to relationships between game developers and AMD (and Nvidia, because they have the same problem as well). It's a people problem that's common to both major GPU companies, not a tech problem.
An uncommon configuration that's not properly supported immediately for your time wasting satisfaction is also not a problem with the driver technology, it's another people problem. A people problem tied to the aforementioned communication with game developers common to both AMD and Nvidia.
AMD's per unit profit margin is smaller than Nvidia's, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they haven't spent as much on driver development... it costs millions a year to hire a large group of driver developers.
If it takes them longer to make an update, that's why, but then that is also a people problem, not a driver technology problem... because the drivers do eventually get updated.

Nothing at all to do with technology, everything to do with face to face, person to person, communication, and differing business strategies.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Nothing at all to do with technology, everything to do with face to face, person to person, communication, and differing business strategies.

+1. This is EXACTLY why I am pretty vocal about issues for AMD...because, really, they are easy to fix.

However, I do know that there are standing open offers to developers that want to work for AMD. Whether or not the pay is commensurate wit the expectations of those positions is another thing, but fundamentally, I think that AMD has some talented hardware engineers, clearly, or I'd not really be spending so much on their products. I'm pretty quick to bash AMD, but you won't find a single Nvidia product in my house. Be that as it may, several people have posted recently concerned that my opinion about said drivers and how I vocalize it, so while the drivers, in your perspective, may not have an impact on their bottom line, for me, it does, since stores are less likely to fill their selves with AMD products in something like drivers is an issue.

And so, local stores don't stock AMD high-end GPUs in any sort of quantity, and are not ordering more unless requested to do so directly by a customer.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Search/Products?Search=7970

That's one of the largest retailers here in Canada, serving half the physical country with parts in retail stores, with a whopping total of 14 units of 7970 GPUs in stock, from only one brand, and maybe 30 units of 7950's, from a mix of brands.

If stores don't order cards, IHVs don't order chips, and AMD gets less sales. You are right, it doesn't affect AMD right this second, but it does affect them on a quarterly basis, when orders are placed at your favorite trade shows. That's what trade shows are for...so IHV's can show their stuff to purchasers from retailers. June is coming, which means Computex is coming, and more orders for more parts...and without working Crossfire drivers, it makes it hard to stores to sell multiple cards, and turn a profit. Which means they are likely to buy less units this time around.

Drivers DO matter, but you do raise another important aspect of the big puzzle that is any business in the industry right now. As far as I am concerned, the entire lack of sales recently is entirely do to "people issues". 10000%.

:rockout:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
+1. This is EXACTLY why I am pretty vocal about issues for AMD...because, really, they are easy to fix.

However, I do know that there are standing open offers to developers that want to work for AMD. Whether or not the pay is commensurate wit the expectations of those positions is another thing, but fundamentally, I think that AMD has some talented hardware engineers, clearly, or I'd not really be spending so much on their products. I'm pretty quick to bash AMD, but you won't find a single Nvidia product in my house. Be that as it may, several people have posted recently concerned that my opinion about said drivers and how I vocalize it, so while the drivers, in your perspective, may not have an impact on their bottom line, for me, it does, since stores are less likely to fill their selves with AMD products in something like drivers is an issue.

And so, local stores don't stock AMD high-end GPUs in any sort of quantity, and are not ordering more unless requested to do so directly by a customer.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Search/Products?Search=7970

That's one of the largest retailers here in Canada, serving half the physical country with parts in retail stores, with a whopping total of 14 units of 7970 GPUs in stock, from only one brand, and maybe 30 units of 7950's, from a mix of brands.

If stores don't order cards, IHVs don't order chips, and AMD gets less sales. You are right, it doesn't affect AMD right this second, but it does affect them on a quarterly basis, when orders are placed at your favorite trade shows. That's what trade shows are for...so IHV's can show their stuff to purchasers from retailers. June is coming, which means Computex is coming, and more orders for more parts...and without working Crossfire drivers, it makes it hard to stores to sell multiple cards, and turn a profit. Which means they are likely to buy less units this time around.

Drivers DO matter, but you do raise another important aspect of the big puzzle that is any business in the industry right now. As far as I am concerned, the entire lack of sales recently is entirely do to "people issues". 10000%.

:rockout:

Whilst I understand your viewpoint on this and your argument is soundly put dave, I think it worth mentioning .

I just recently thought of all the times pc hardware FAILED me, my expectations or plain caused me grief and each time id have happily shouted my rage across the rooftops and stood firm against any praise for the part in question.

When things work I seldom care to praise anyone as I too, expect things to work right and as advertised.

People should consider rephrasing their words perhaps as for every upset person there are many happy quite ones.

Imho regardless of which brand , there is too much, and to venomous bashing going on

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Did anyone see that AMD got Raja Koduri from Apple?

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Last edited:
System Name Server
Processor AMD Phenom 9950BE @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM+
Cooling Apogee GT Waterblock on Thermaltake Rhythm
Memory CRUCIAL Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4X1GB
Video Card(s) ASUS EN9600GT Silent
Storage OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD / 3X 1TB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) 2X APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20"
Case Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software WINDOWS 7 x64 Ultimate
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
Why? I mean the company in general, not just their web services department.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
In addition, the stars seem to be aligning for AMD once again:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6907/the-king-is-back-raja-koduri-leaves-apple-returns-to-amd

AMD has arguably the best CPU engineer in the world in charge of their CPU division (Jim Keller as of August 2012) and now, as of today, one of the very top GPU engineers in the world in charge of their 'Visual Computing' division, Raja Koduri. These guys would not have come back to AMD (they're both former AMD employees) if they didn't see something positive in Rory Read's plan for the company going forward.

This is an extremely good sign.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
In addition, the stars seem to be aligning for AMD once again:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6907/the-king-is-back-raja-koduri-leaves-apple-returns-to-amd

AMD has arguably the best CPU engineer in the world in charge of their CPU division (Jim Keller as of August 2012) and now, as of today, one of the very top GPU engineers in the world in charge of their 'Visual Computing' division, Raja Koduri. These guys would not have come back to AMD (they're both former AMD employees) if they didn't see something positive in Rory Read's plan for the company going forward.

This is an extremely good sign.

:clap: I hope they drop some kinda uber-powerful bomb of a chip later this year :D
erm..not holding my breth, though. :wtf:

march10k

System Name Death Star (it's the HUGE black case, lol)
Processor i7 920
Motherboard GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling noctua NH-U12P
Memory Gskill 3x2 DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX black 7970
Storage WD green 1TB
Display(s) Acer X233H
Case CM ATSC 840
Audio Device(s) none (titanium fatality champion....died)
Power Supply CM UCP 700w 80+ silver
Software yes
AMD can have the fast CPU on the market and customers will still opt for a slower and more expensive Intel solution. The history show us that even when the lower end Sempron & Duron Socket A and Socket 754 was outperforming the "high end" Pentium 4 Northwood, back when the Athlon XP was topdog, and when the Athlon 64 and Athlon FX was outperforming the Pentium 4 Prescott & Cedar Mill, and when the Athlon X2 was outperforming the Pentium D...customers were still loyal to Intel.

My last CPU before the 920 was a 3700+...IMNSHO, the best single core ever made for the consumer market. Was there a better AMD CPU than the first generation of i7s? Before my 7970, I had a GTX 580. Brand loyalty destroys the drive to innovate and compete. If brand X's product is better than brand Y at the time of purchase, go for it! If you only ever buy brand X because "everyone knows that X is the shizznet, and Y sucks donkey [expletive deleted]," then you're dumber than a box of hammers, and you're telling brand X that glossy stickers are an acceptable substitute for R&D in the future. If nothing else, we consumers should blow off a percentage point or two and occasionally buy the best product the second best vendor offers, just to keep the bastards on their toes. Unless you believe that the market research people aren't paying attention when you buy seven Intel/AMD CPUs and five Nvidia/ATI cards in a row? :toast:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
I really can't understand how a company with fairly decent products, at fairly prices and a large and very loyal customer base can post net losses quarter after quarter after quarter???

I just they nail something soon, heterogeneous computing I would think but this requires the support of the software industry but things are looking positive here wither WinZip, Handbrake and Adobe all getting into the OpenCL game.

intel has bettermarketing + fanboys + many low level system builders dont even know about AMD and their products like APUs.

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
Whats that?

A hardware video encoder, much faster and more featureful than the old AMD APP encoder. It's actually worth using to encode H.264, unlike CUDA or Quicksync where you're stuck using weak profiles, low/no ref or B frames, no CABAC and so on.