1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Socket FM2 APU Preview

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Sep 24, 2012.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
    Ikaruga, radusorin, Daimus and 16 others say thanks.
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Excellent. I'll take a look at the A10s for some thin gaming PC.

VLIW4 was used only in Barts (HD6900 series). The rest of the 6-series were VLIW5.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

..um ;) Barts was 6800. Cayman is 6900's.
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    brain fart
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the preview, Dave. I look forward to the full review.
  6. mypg0306

Thanks Received:
    Yes, great review. Waiting for the full review especially on A10-5800K in terms of gaming.
  7. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Strange that you're saddled with an A75 board and preview, yet Anand has an A85 and review...you forget to send Christmas cards to Sunnyvale ?

"AMD let us know that we could go ahead and post a preview"

Didn't happen to get the same email as Scott Wasson by any chance ?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Dave for the preview:toast:
    Look forward to the full reviews/
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Nice preview. Look forward to AMD saying "yes" and letting you loose with the full review. :D
  10. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    AMD will say yes to the whole wide world at the same second :)
    OB 3D Performance seem great.
  11. Hustler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well given just how much the FM1 CPU's gaming scores increased when using faster memory, I'd expect a similar improvement with these FM2 ones, scores of 2000+ should be possible in 3dMark11

But...as usual for CPU limited tasks, these CPU's,whilst an improvement over Bulldozer, still suck. For a supposedly '4' core (lol) CPU, Intel's dual core i3 will still most likely outperform them.

And I still HATE the idea of not having any L3 Cache.
  12. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Solaris17 and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  13. Dent1

Thanks Received:
  14. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    If intel did this I'd hope the site would hold out from that as well... review sites shouldn't let companies hide the weaknesses of their product - half the point of the review is to find/expose weaknesses.
    AthlonX2 says thanks.
  15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    we did a preview today, giving you a rough idea about the product.

a proper review will follow later, you may choose to not read the preview and wait till the review is up
  16. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    TPU comes before techreport on my daily routine of checking tech sites - already read the preview before I knew AMD was trying to hide their x86 performance :toast:.

I know you guys gotta do what you gotta do it just bugs me when companies try to unduly manipulate things in their favor.
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Intel has been doing it for years
  18. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    How so (honest question)? I'm not as well versed in CPUs as GPUs so I haven't followed them as closely over the years, but I can't remember seeing reviews of Intel CPUs where Intel only allowed some types of tests and not others.
  19. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I've read the past, Nvidia and Intel would refuse to give reviewers engineering samples or access to samples in general if the review wasn't bias in their favour. I can remember one tech website was banned from the sample list for refusing to fix the review. I can't remember the name of the tech site. I'm sure someone here will remember and post a link or two.

Back in the day all the reviewer fixing we common. I can remember seeing Nvidia reviews where every page was a Phyx supported game. Obviously the reviewer knows that AMD products will be unfairly handicapped.
  20. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I knew that Nvidia had done some sleazy stuff like that in the past - didn't know Intel had done it. Was that during the time of their netburst debacle?
  21. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    That post at TR is red-herring. AMD is allowing some information about their product to be released early. The NDA's for the full product performance review are still in effect. They will not limit any information from being included on product reviews.

Wording is key here. AMD is allowing a "preview"; TPU is posting this information in accordance with AMD's wishes. They could have chosen not to. I'm glad they did.

It's no different then when information used to "leak" out of AMD. I'm pretty sure this practice isn't exclusive to AMD either.
  22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if that is true (which i dont know), then what did they do wrong by banning someone incompetent from working with their products, who'd otherwise give them a bad reputation.. especially if the author is not willing to fix his mistake?

if you come to me and say "look w1zz, x in your review is wrong, here is my data showing y. i suspect that z is happening" i'd be the first to start investigating, solving such puzzles is lots of fun, you'll learn something and if you can go to the vendor and tell him "here is my data, now i know what went wrong, actually the underlying issue is here, maybe look into this suggested improvement for the future", you will instantly gain tons of credibility with companies and they might send you stuff earlier than anyone else because they value your feedback.
    Ikaruga, radusorin, xBruce88x and 4 others say thanks.
  23. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Apart from all the buzz about it being a dirty move from AMD(which I think is really not a big deal at all, since everything is out in the open about the reasonings for this decision), I think this is actually a good sign. It shows that there is finally something happening in the AMD marketing department.

I'm not saying they should actually start manipulating the press, but compared to the Nvidia and Intel (and actually a lot of the other companies), they can use a bit more ingenuity and agression in the marketing department.
  24. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Sorry. I'm an English native so I forget that others here it's their second language.

When I said fix I meant "to rig" or "falsify" the reviews.

There was a few situations in the past a few reviewers confessed to Intel or Nvidia blackmailing them. Saying no samples if you don't falsify the benchmarks in their favour.

It's ashame I can't find any links, this is going back maybe 5-12 years so the Google links are removed and broken.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  25. jigar2speed

jigar2speed

Thanks Received:
    The author at TR is playing a bit of bias game here, he has done the preview for Intel -

http://techreport.com/review/9538/intel-conroe-performance-previewed/1

Plus they were not even given the permission to touch the system. :shadedshu

EDIT: Before you judge me, i am a long time reader at TR (2006) and have more than 4000+ post counts in their forum.
    xBruce88x, TRWOV and Dent1 say thanks.