1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD stepping is it fixed?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by freeboy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    title pretty much sums it up, I own a amd 64 fx60..

I really am pleased with it and tweeked the sys to just under 2.9, since I am a noob do not really understand volts and timings and how changing the timings makes a differnce in the fsb tweeking.. but I ramble!

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    the stepping is fixed its built in to the cpu is like a revision on a chip....i think you mean multiplyer?

3. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    no, I read for quite abit, even at amd sight and ccould not see anything, like a revision, that is a hardware one? so it is fixed? I am looking for some simple upgrades.. but thanks.. my comp did not like 15, running 14 on the multi and just added 5 on the fsb now at 210 and 2941! not bad for a noob! he pats himself on the back...

I am not sure how all the volts. timings stuff work togetther..
    For instance why do raising the volts on the mem chips help?

4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    when your memory is running above the frequency it needs more power to run the speed..sorta like a car running 100mph uses more gas than a car thats running 55mph

5. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, what confused me was the math, duh, I lowered the meme speed from 200 to 160, but forgot all the other stuff affects the mem too! so at 800 210 166 what is my memory running .. and I did not see a divider. Will look again.

Also
    I can play with the latencies, could raising them help my oc? they seem pretty good at 2.5 3 3 7. that is for a generic chip, duel channel.