1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to release new FX processor (with AIO)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RCoon, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Advanced Micro Devices plans to release another FX-series desktop microprocessor that will come bundled with closed-loop liquid cooling system, the firm said this week. The company did not unveil any details about the upcoming chip, but demonstrated its packaging and said that it will be available soon.

Roy Taylor, vice president of global channel sales at AMD, on Friday published a photo of an FX processor packaging on Twitter saying that “something new is coming.” The box, which says it contains an “FX-series processor with liquid cooling technology,” is vastly different from packages of currently available AMD FX products.

Since the package says “processor,” then it is highly-likely that AMD plans to release [at least] another high-performance multi-core chip without integrated graphics designed specifically for enthusiasts (update: confirmed by a source close to AMD). If AMD planned to release a high-end Kaveri-based FX-series offering, it would call the product an “accelerated processing unit.” As there are no “Steamroller” micro-architecture-based multi-core CPUs for servers/high-end desktops scheduled to arrive in mid-2014 anywhere in AMD’s roadmaps, it is highly likely that the company plans to further increase frequencies of the existing Vishera design that features the Piledriver micro-architecture x86 cores.

It looks like (at least, based on the current information) AMD decided to release a microprocessor that will be a respond to Intel’s code-named “Devil’s Canyon” microprocessors. AMD yet has to release actual specifications of the novelty, but if the company actually plans to speed-up the Vishera design one more time, then it looks like we are probably going to see an eight-core chip with default clock-speed of 5GHz or higher
    n0tiert, natr0n, _JP_ and 6 others say thanks.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I had to check the date to make sure this wasn't from 2013.

Could be interesting anyway.
    AsRock, Aquinus, INSTG8R and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    hmmm interresting indeed and 'it looks like we are probably going to see an eight-core chip with default clock-speed of 5GHz or higher':eek:
  4. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    I don't think an AIO that would fit in that box would handle a 5GHz Piledriver.
  5. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Probably so hot that it run effectively as good as an air cooler with that AIO.
  7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i friggin knew it!

the last month 3 new AM3+ motherboards have come to light, the first i was why? the next i was like hmm? and now im like told ya so!!

edit: im going to buy another 8350 or this maybe!! still have my 990FX mobo. WOOP!
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  8. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Well ive been at 5 a while and they are going to have to pull out something special for me to swap , nice news though I thought something was brewing due to the recent influx of new am3+ boards
  9. raphaell666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This should be interesting, if the price is good (less than intel i7-4770k) I will consider it.
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that was EXACTLY what I thought too.
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    An AM3+ FX built on the current 28nm process* that the APU's use would be interesting....

sub'd

* wishful thinking I know but that would be pretty cool (like the Phenom I to Phenom II transistion)
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Aquinus, Recca29 and _JP_ say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Misaki

Misaki

Thanks Received:
    Steamroller FX for AM3+? If it's possible, this will be really good CPU.
  13. Trompochi

Trompochi

Thanks Received:
    This will be interestng, I hope it's at least built on the 28nm process. :)
    Recca29 says thanks.
  14. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Just in time for an AM3+ build I'm planning :rockout: I hope they release a version without HSF/AIO as I already have an H80 doing nothing.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Woohoo!
  16. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    O look anouther AMD speedbump pretty soon they are gonna need to start shipping phaseschange units with these
  17. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I want something new after a long time and this might be it.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, even if they just did a die shrink on Vishera to 28nm I'd be interested. However, if this is just the same old 32nm Vishera with a clock bump I'm not going to be that impressed.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    This is gonna be interesting. The included AIO suggest that this will be a more than 125W part but due to the size of the cooler I would expect sub 220W.
    Things AMD can do between 125W and 220W:
    1. Even more clock speed (I have a hard time imagining AMD managing a sub 220W 5.1+Ghz FX8350)
    2. More cores (people have managed to OC the 16 core opterons to over 4ghz on water cooling)
    3. 28nm with more cores (They did recently sign a contract with Global Foundries)
  20. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    they would have needed to seriously rework the fab process AND Chip to get a 5Ghz FX8xxx down to even like 150W the architecture stinks more then likely its just another die shrink
    nothing to see here people move along .. stop giving AMD free PR
  21. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Well they don't have a good PR and no money either, so we as last '300' will keep screaming until last breath!!!
  22. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone else thought that this could just be a highly binned FM2+ Kaveri chip with disabled iGPU? That certainly would be "multi-core," not an "APU", and "unlike anything else."

Remember, high end Kaveri mobile processors are also in the FX series.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    There's also the Fact that we don't know what it Is exactly yet so stick both your neg posts elsewhere.
    It's ok for the goose this Pr melarky and its good for the gander especially on a slow Sunday.
  24. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    AMD's PR department is a bunch of asshats. This is the best piece of PR AMD has ever formulated in YEARS. We need to show them some appreciation for doing something right at least, even if this is just another faildozer chip. They had computer generated lightsaber wielding robot videos, GPU giveaways on some late night TV show with completely unknown presenters and an audience that had no clue what they were on about, and a GPU chip release with a fat guy from some obscure audio company that spoke in stupid ways.
    This picture teasing a new chip-in-a-box is possibly the most intelligent piece of PR they've come up with.
    FX-GMC, _JP_ and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Imho its got to be an all or nothing release ie you wouldn't put the work in for a die shrink without swapping the cores as the setup layout and masks all change anyway and significantly afaik, so its that ,a clock bumped vishera or an apu based cpu imho prob clock bump.