1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Release Phenom 9600 Black Edition

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 26, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to a press event held in Japan, AMD is planning on releasing a Black Edition of its quad-core Phenom 9600 processor. It will go on sale by the end of the year and it's obvious that the Black Edition Phenom will offer unlocked multiplier. In addition, Phenom 9700 (2.4GHz) and Phenom 9900 (2.6GHz) will be available in 1Q 2008. The first triple core Phenom 8000 series and Phenom FX will also be announced in 1H of 2008.

[​IMG]

Source: OCWORKBENCH

2. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is with the hype of triple cores? I imagine if you're not going with quad, it's better to get dual for less heat and higher clocks. I am of course used to Intel chips so if there's something I don't know please let me know. I don't like being misinformed =p

3. robodude666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait, huh? You mean the current 9500 and 9600 don't have unlocked multipliers? What about the AMD OverDrive videos? We saw the guy crank the multipliers from 11x to 14x! Is multiplier manipulation only available via OverDrive?

4. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    The Black Edition X4 Phenom will be the one to have and will prob. sell out on launch day. They will prob. be as hard to find as the 3870's and the 8800GT's. That will be the cpu for me. :)

5. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    That was an engineering sample cpu, I imagine.

6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    exactly:toast:

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the software you are running. I alway use video encoding as an example. A slower clock tri core can encode faster than a lower clocked dual core. (depending on the amount of clock difference, obviously) Some games can benefit from it too, SupCom as an example, tho not all games will benefit.

8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're leaving out quad cores which is where I become confused. Won't a quad core encode faster than a tricore? And the multithreaded games, like SupCom, won't quad core outperform the tricore in that as well? Obviously compared solely with dual cores, 3 sounds better, but with quads available...I'm still curious if theres a reason or place where 3 is superior to 4.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You are correct, quads are better than tris, when the software utilizes it. Whether or not tri cores become successful depends purely on how AMD prices them. If they are much cheaper than a quad, but only a few dollars more than a dual, they have the potential for great bang for the buck. Then again, if the situation is reversed, such that a quad is only a few dollars more, but a dual is way cheaper, they'll be a terrible buy.

10. brian.ca New Member

Thanks Received:
    They're not meant to be better than the quads, but rather a just step between duals and quads (in terms of price and performance). So if you want faster but don't want to shell out for a quad you could go triple. A lot of it will depend on the pricing though but since it's something currently exclusive to AMD and it will also be used as a way to reclaim waste (say they make a quad core but one of the individual core's clock is off or the core is defunct - instead of throwing it out they just completely disable the core and sell it as a triple) I'd imagine the price should be pretty competitive.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    AMD's triplets are broken quads anyway. One of the cores is borked, so they disable it. Now you have a triple-core processor. Yay. Makes me wonder if they do the same thing for the Phenom x2's...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Go Tricore

but its good bc when they come out intel's response just might be something like a q4400-series quad core... which i could afford :rockout:

13. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You may be surprised then as I think a Q4400 is planned for Q2 2008 :D

14. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it enables them a top get a better yield and gives them a good price/performance range from the one chip.. it kinda takes over from the so called speed binning we had with single core..

in reality just like with speed binning.. chips will get "broken" to match demand assuming a reasonable yield..

trog

15. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Im all for this black edition. Truth be told, its really just the Phenom FX making its debut a tad bit early with a different name. The Phenom FXs are gonna have unlocked multipliers and will be AMDs top performing chips.

16. robodude666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awwww! That ain't cool. I thought all Phenoms have adjustable multipliers. Oh well, guess I'll be saving up for the Black Edition :)