1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to show off DX11 hardware tommorow

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by KainXS, Jun 2, 2009.

1. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    This is interesting AMD Evergreen: 40nm DirectX 11 GPU Silicon Arrives
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I just read that. Had to edit to my post as yours wasn't included whilst I was reading it.

3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    so it's 7 am wed in northeastern USA, when will it be noon in taiwan in relation to what time it is right now in usa?

4. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    a_ump says thanks.
  5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Problems are numerous, I'm fortunate and happen to be one of the people who don't encounter problems too often, but Catalyst driver quality is certainly much worse than the 9600/9800 days. The drivers have just slowly gotten worse, especially since AMD bought ATi. I was once asked to design a level to showcase something to do with ATi cards, and to be quite frank, with the severe quality loss in ATi drivers, I'm glad to not associate myself, name and my work with them.

6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

it came from Pat (AMD PR), and can be found on amd.unprocessed (flickr photostream)

7. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Some videos of it all 'ere.

8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    How are you going to tell as 100% of us us DX10 or 10.1 ?
    Any way seems like another gimmick to me . Not any games I have will use DX11 not many games coming out will use DX11 and just hoe many games us that ATI DX10.1 ? this is just a gimmick to get us to buy new shinny bling bling video cards !

I am not going to be running out getting any new video cards not while the economy is still tanking !

9. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    that excuse only works for so long, and it's not true for every direct x. some never were fully implemented others had games come out quite soon afterwards boasting new features.

in this case dx11 has been acvialble to game developers for a year now. it's not too far fetched that we'll see it put to work soon.

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Trickson probably would get a GF anyway if it was even 800 USD.

11. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I mean I junped from DX10 to 10.1 And seen NOTHING from that let alone ATI is a sketchy video card at best for me . CR is going to come soon but I doubt I will see any improvement at all over the GTX 260 single card when I get the second 4870 1 gb card installed . ATI is so weak ... As for DX11 GOOD GOD we just got DX10 and now we all have to go out and get new video cards ? Come on !

13. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Nothing stating we have to get DX11 cards.

14. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dx11 will run on Dx10 cards. Its just the odd graphical effect wont look as good on the Dx10 cards.

I've google searched & not found a single game currently in development or even planned to use Dx11.
    All current games are Dx9 based with & some having the odd dx10 tweak.

Theirs simply not nearly enough pc gamers out there with Dx10 gpu's & windows vista to make a true Dx10 game return a profit. This is added to the fact most pc games get ported from the consoles which only requires Dx9.

I carnt see the Dx9 pc gaming standard changing till the next gen consoles come out & alot more win xp users have moved to vista or 7. Could well be 2 or 3 years !

15. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    sadly i have to agree, that a lot of people are still on dx9, shit even i am but only cause my 8800GT died and i'm not good at saving money nor do i have a job but this summer i'm upgrading since i'll have one. But anyways i def see that, dx9 is probly still the dominent API usable by gamers. Someone needs to write a malicious program to destroy all dx9 hardware :D, then my upgrade would come sooner as rents would help me buy a new card :laugh:

16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    You seen nothing from DX10.1 because Nvidia paid to suppress it from games that were going to support it, if anything is sketchy that is right there. "We can't do what they can do so lets pay them off so no one can see the difference."

It was mentioned earlier in this very thread, Battlefield Bad Company 2.

17. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Actually the graphics engine is just ported from dx10(or 9?) to dx11. Dunno if that makes a difference, but sounds alot like current games, dx9 ported to dx10, which turns out more poorly than if it'd been dx10 from the start. Probly same thing here dx11 from the start would be a better engine, just my suspicions. I also read somewhere that they only ported it to dx11 to implement dx11's tesselation. Idk crap bout tesselation but that's the only dx11 feature that i've read is implemented in the frostbite engine, not much dx11 imo.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  18. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that game will still have a Dx9 based engine with subroutines for the odd dx10/Dx11 FX if the hardware & Os support it. In the same way crysis does. That way it will still run on win XP.

It would be financial suicide to release Battlefield Bad Company 2 with a Dx11 based engine. That would make the game vista & 7 only & require the highest system specs for any game to date. I carnt see EA taking that risk ! Not yet anyway theres still to many win xp users out there.

But i maybe wrong we'll just have to wait to see its system requirements.