• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
WALL OF INFALLIBLE TEXT

I'm all for opinions and discussions, but you know, only when the user knows what they're talking about, and have actually done some proper research. Implying the 8350 is bad i find amusing. I also find it amusing when people compare a £150 chip to a £270 chip, and then boast how the latter outperforms. Most of the people here who are capable of discerning benchmarks properly will know they are an extremely poor way of visualizing a components actual real world performance.
Also not entirely sure where this "people feeling burned" thing is coming from. This is a preoverclocked chip with warranty. There are a huge percentage of users who dont overclock, so this chip is an awesome way for them to grab a hold of an excellent gaming processor without any worries of its performance.
I dont know if you just bought a 3770k, or if you're really sensitive about benchmark scores (you shouldn't, its like having low self esteem, just doesnt make sense), but if I were building a new rig for someone, be it budget or a high end single gpu rig(I'll underline that so you can do research about single GPU PC's and how processors perform, HINT HINT GO TO ANANDTECH) I would gladly buy my third 8350.
There is nothing you can say that would otherwise change my opinion, and would kindly request you dont bother quoting or bother replying to this post. Instead, go and find out what benchmarks actually mean, how they're done, and how the 8350 performs in terms of its price/performance in every task. You might find out just why so many people still buy them.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
You make a good read but do you realize less than 2% of users are enthusiasts and all of this this means nothing. All people will see is 5GHz and BTW, the 5GHz processors will give 20% more performance than FX-8350. So that said, it is good marketing.
Think about it this way, Intel just launched a line of new CPU's. AMD has to somehow answer for this, but releasing a similarly clocked Piledriver core like the FX-8350 is useless, AMD had no choice but to increase the clocks. This is not just for marketing; it was more of necessity IMO. Now if AMD were to release Steamroller cores instead, that would have been a different story. I don’t see Steamroller cores clocked at 5GHz, I don’t think the initial CPU’s will be that fast. If rumours are correct, Steamroller will defeat Piledriver clock for clock by about 30% or more.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
What point are You trying to make MLScrow-san?
You write all these things about bulldozer being bad, how this new chip would underperform and so on. But what's Your goal? What are You trying to achieve by all this?

(doubleposts are frowned upon, you know?)

Well seeing how he has six posts in this thread and only this thread since he has joined I wouldn't be surprised if he just so happened to be a little more intel than anyone of us. I wouldn't be surprised if he his ip traced back to somewhere blue if you will. Considering his arguments seem to match the typical M$ toad.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm all for opinions and discussions, but you know, only when the user knows what they're talking about, and have actually done some proper research. Implying the 8350 is bad i find amusing. I also find it amusing when people compare a £150 chip to a £270 chip, and then boast how the latter outperforms. Most of the people here who are capable of discerning benchmarks properly will know they are an extremely poor way of visualizing a components actual real world performance.
Also not entirely sure where this "people feeling burned" thing is coming from. This is a preoverclocked chip with warranty. There are a huge percentage of users who dont overclock, so this chip is an awesome way for them to grab a hold of an excellent gaming processor without any worries of its performance.
I dont know if you just bought a 3770k, or if you're really sensitive about benchmark scores (you shouldn't, its like having low self esteem, just doesnt make sense), but if I were building a new rig for someone, be it budget or a high end single gpu rig(I'll underline that so you can do research about single GPU PC's and how processors perform, HINT HINT GO TO ANANDTECH) I would gladly buy my third 8350.
There is nothing you can say that would otherwise change my opinion, and would kindly request you dont bother quoting or bother replying to this post. Instead, go and find out what benchmarks actually mean, how they're done, and how the 8350 performs in terms of its price/performance in every task. You might find out just why so many people still buy them.

You know its strange to me , the discourse regarding dual gpu on amd systems as I have four gpus in my main rig and despite the bottleneck alleged I do get reasonable fps on most games with sensible ultimate settings on 1080p ie morpho AA plus 2x msAA not crazy aliasing , two for render two fpr physx btw.
I can except an intel might run these better (2011 skt only though) but ive not owned an Isomethingmeaningless anyway so my 8350 @4.9 runs very well imho, I also have a pciex ssd thats going back in when I get hold of a socket extender there aren't many intel setups with 4-5 gfx use able pciex slots and mobo and cpu wouldn't cost 《300uk notes as mine did.

*sigh* If anyone actually wants to have an intelligent discussion about this with me, again, please make intelligent comments and refrain from insults and ridiculousness. I know just about everything there is to know about AMD's chips and Intel's chips and how they compare to one another in just about every single category, including price/performance, in which AMD easily takes the crown, but we weren't discussing that, we were discussing performance alone. One may be priced more than the other, but they both offer 8 cores (physical or virtual) and are, for the general public, the best of each company (excluding the E parts from Intel).

And just for the record, the number of posts that I have in a thread has absolutely no relevance to my personal preference for one company's product over the other, but, if you read anything I wrote earlier in the thread, you'd realize that I fully admit to being an AMD supporter more than an Intel supporter. I like AMD, I'm just disappointed in Piledriver. It wasn't enough of an upgrade over Zambezi for me to want it. If it was for you, good for you, enjoy what you bought, but again, SR FX will be much better and I also don't think that SR FX will come out starting at 5GHz, but one can hope. Considering it's being made with High Density Libraries, it will cut down on the clocks. I personally foresee it being released in the 4GHz range, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
What's the price on this 5GHz booster gonna be? Surely it can't be super $$$ like some posts threw around last month. (Just curious -- I'm working on an A8-5500 mini-itx openSUSE 12.3 build presently.)

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
*sigh* If anyone actually wants to have an intelligent discussion about this with me, again, please make intelligent comments and refrain from insults and ridiculousness.
I mostly see people trying to have an intelligent discussion and hardly any "insults/ridiculousness" at all. *shrug*

I know just about everything there is to know about AMD's chips and Intel's chips and how they compare to one another in just about every single category, including price/performance
Meanwhile, every time I asked You about that I was silently ignored. [yes, more than once. srsly, man, WTH]
If You claim to know that much (and claim You a lot - nearly every post), why don't You share it? Nobody will care if You flail around claiming to know everything, while not showing anything to back it up.

System Name Prodigy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard AsRock Z77e-ITX
Cooling Liquid
Memory 2x4GB Samsung LV
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 680
Storage OCZ M-SATA 120GB SSD/OCZ Petrol 120GB SSD/Intenso 240GB SSD/500GB Seagate HDD
Display(s) Samsung 32" HDTV
Case BitFenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ Elite 500w
Interesting discussion...quite in depth for the most part, but interesting all the same..makes me wonder how many watts my 2500k pulls while sitting under load at 5ghz,obviously it's only got half the cores and it was only £150 retail but there is food for thought..

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
*sigh* If anyone actually wants to have an intelligent discussion about this with me, again, please make intelligent comments and refrain from insults and ridiculousness. I know just about everything there is to know about AMD's chips and Intel's chips and how they compare to one another in just about every single category, including price/performance, in which AMD easily takes the crown, but we weren't discussing that, we were discussing performance alone. One may be priced more than the other, but they both offer 8 cores (physical or virtual) and are, for the general public, the best of each company (excluding the E parts from Intel).

And just for the record, the number of posts that I have in a thread has absolutely no relevance to my personal preference for one company's product over the other, but, if you read anything I wrote earlier in the thread, you'd realize that I fully admit to being an AMD supporter more than an Intel supporter. I like AMD, I'm just disappointed in Piledriver. It wasn't enough of an upgrade over Zambezi for me to want it. If it was for you, good for you, enjoy what you bought, but again, SR FX will be much better and I also don't think that SR FX will come out starting at 5GHz, but one can hope. Considering it's being made with High Density Libraries, it will cut down on the clocks. I personally foresee it being released in the 4GHz range, but only time will tell.

You know just about everything huh?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
It would be a good idea if we get back to discussing the CPU as opposed to each others personalities.... thank you!

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
You know its strange to me , the discourse regarding dual gpu on amd systems as I have four gpus in my main rig and despite the bottleneck alleged I do get reasonable fps on most games with sensible ultimate settings on 1080p ie morpho AA plus 2x msAA not crazy aliasing , two for render two fpr physx btw.
I can except an intel might run these better (2011 skt only though) but ive not owned an Isomethingmeaningless anyway so my 8350 @4.9 runs very well imho, I also have a pciex ssd thats going back in when I get hold of a socket extender there aren't many intel setups with 4-5 gfx use able pciex slots and mobo and cpu wouldn't cost 《300uk notes as mine did.

Dont get me wrong, the AMD series is excellent, and is fully capable of running dual GPU setups. I ran two 570's and two 7950's on an 8350 with no complaints other than drivers for the cards and the occasional game that didnt have crossfire support. The 8350 was and is still my favourite CPU in the last few generations. However the skt2011 does actually produce more frames in multiple GPU setups. I wouldnt want to come across as an AMD fanboy, so I would have to openly and clearly state that the high end intel are far better at bleeding all the performance out of multiple GPU setups. I just prefer the AMD featureset overall, intel has PCI 3.0, AMD seemingly has everything else, including multiple SATA 6Gb/s support in comparison to Intel's mere two on mid end MoBos, and PLX at a cheaper price.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Dont get me wrong, the AMD series is excellent, and is fully capable of running dual GPU setups. I ran two 570's and two 7950's on an 8350 with no complaints other than drivers for the cards and the occasional game that didnt have crossfire support. The 8350 was and is still my favourite CPU in the last few generations. However the skt2011 does actually produce more frames in multiple GPU setups. I wouldnt want to come across as an AMD fanboy, so I would have to openly and clearly state that the high end intel are far better at bleeding all the performance out of multiple GPU setups. I just prefer the AMD featureset overall, intel has PCI 3.0, AMD seemingly has everything else, including multiple SATA 6Gb/s support in comparison to Intel's mere two on mid end MoBos, and PLX at a cheaper price.

Yeah I'm a reasonable guy I agree , I think a fair amount of its due to memory channels ,it would be nice to see amd do similar. Damn phone sorry.

I mostly see people trying to have an intelligent discussion and hardly any "insults/ridiculousness" at all. *shrug*

Then you obviously aren't reading closely enough, because from my point of view, there has been exactly the opposite.

Meanwhile, every time I asked You about that I was silently ignored. [yes, more than once. srsly, man, WTH]
If You claim to know that much (and claim You a lot - nearly every post), why don't You share it? Nobody will care if You flail around claiming to know everything, while not showing anything to back it up.

First of all, to say that I "flail around" is an insult itself. These are words on a screen, no "flailing" can take place. Unnecessary. And if I did, perhaps, ignore something you've said, it wasn't on purpose and it was probably because of snide remarks such as that. I have no problem discussing anything, so what exactly have you asked me that I haven't answered? Please feel free to ask me anything and I will give you my answer as best as possible and I have no problem admitting when I don't know enough to answer you. I'm not trying to be arrogant here, I'm just trying to explain that I understand what I'm talking about as other's have tried to insinuate that I do not.

Also, keep in mind my word choice, because I'm very careful with what I say, and I didn't say that I know everything, I said "just about", which leaves room for a lot of information. I am not a chip designer (though I'd like to be one day), so I can't quite tell you certain in-depth details, but I can provide what information is publicly available and provide reasonable predictions and speculation based on that information. Hardware is probably one of the only passions that I have in my life (sad perhaps, but true) and I make it a point to educate myself and search for any piece of new information (rumor or not) regarding this topic on a daily basis.

Interesting discussion...quite in depth for the most part, but interesting all the same..makes me wonder how many watts my 2500k pulls while sitting under load at 5ghz,obviously it's only got half the cores and it was only £150 retail but there is food for thought..

I ran a theoretical calculator which came up with around 189W, however, I found a review that Bit-Tech did that actually had their 2500K clocked to 4.9 (not quite 5.0, but close enough) and theirs was pulling 221W. Keep in mind, these are total system power draw numbers, but you can get an idea of how much more power your system is drawing just by the overclock alone as their value for the stock 2500K running at 3.3GHz pulled 148W, so a 73W increase. By the way, grats on getting a golden chip that'll hit 5.0GHz. What kind of cooling are you running if you don't mind me asking?

It would be a good idea if we get back to discussing the CPU as opposed to each others personalities.... thank you!

Thank you.

You're not coming off as an unreasonable brainwashed AMD Fanboy, but you admit to being an AMD fan. Me too. I do wish that AMD had included PCIE 3.0 in Vishera, but I suppose I wouldn't really quite need it since I haven't gone with my triple monitor setup yet, requiring multi-gpu's. PCIE 2.0 is good enough for a single card at the moment, but god damn will both AMD and NVidia hurry up and release their new mid level cards already!? I don't like spending $500 on a single card. I'd rather spend $200 on two mid level cards and run SLi/XF, or just find a upper mid-range card that can meet my needs (60fps avg, w/4xMSAA). I might actually need something twice as good in the near future as I'm considering getting a 3D setup (I played Arkham Asylum in 3D and it was fantastic - 3D Vision, never tried AMD's version yet).

Anyway, back to the thread subject. I'm not saying it's a bad chip overall, just not one that I would buy nor one that I would recommend for someone looking for a new rig right now. This new Piledriver doesn't add anything new, such as PCIE 3.0, it' simply the same old chip, with better binning and higher clock rate. For someone who is looking to purchase a new rig right now and are intent on AMD, I would advise them to wait just a little while longer and they can have an a better overall processor.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade who wanted to jump for joy at the news of a 5GHz part. I honestly believe that's an incredible feat for AMD to have achieved. I mean, 20-25% increase in clock just from 1 year of process maturity, that's pretty sick, and that jump in clock will definitely narrow the gap between AMD and Intel in terms of overall performance. Something I think AMD has needed to do for a while now and it looks like they are finally on track. YAY for a company that we all thought might have gone under. They really saved their asses, especially with capturing all the major video game console contracts.

The only things I'm concerned about with SR is that they are moving from SOI to Bulk for their process and it will be early in terms of maturity. Hopefully the time they have between Kaveri and their next FX line will be enough to mature the process so that we can perhaps see something similar to this 20% clock speed increase in this PD 2.0 when SRFX comes out. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I just can't help but laugh at AMD's CPU market stategy. I can imagine their CPU division's meetings happening like this:

ENGINEERS: "Sir, Intel just announced their new uber-power efficient architecture, we should put Research & Development money into a new architecture."

MANAGEMENT: "**** THAT ****, I WANT MOAR CORES!!! MOAR THREADS! MORE GHZ!!! WHOOOOOOAAAA!!!!"

Well.. Your posting strategy needs some help too. With a little less caps lock and a little less colorful language, people may actually take you seriously. :)

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I ran a theoretical calculator which came up with around 189W, however, I found a review that Bit-Tech did that actually had their 2500K clocked to 4.9 (not quite 5.0, but close enough) and theirs was pulling 221W. Keep in mind, these are total system power draw numbers, but you can get an idea of how much more power your system is drawing just by the overclock alone as their value for the stock 2500K running at 3.3GHz pulled 148W, so a 73W increase. By the way, grats on getting a golden chip that'll hit 5.0GHz. What kind of cooling are you running if you don't mind me asking?

i wonder how that compares to the 8350? out of the box power consumption for the 8350 was 189 watt for the full system. wonder how much that shoots up to while running at 5 GHZ?
My i5 will also hit 5 ghz, using the intel water cooler (effectively a rebranded antec 620)

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
Well.. Your posting strategy needs some help too. With a little less caps lock and a little less colorful language, people may actually take you seriously. :)

How were people meant to take that seriously? I was joking...jeeze, nobody can take a joke anymore...a pretty bad one, I admit, but it sounded good before this hangover passed, I promise :laugh: :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
How were people meant to take that seriously? I was joking...jeeze, nobody can take a joke anymore...a pretty bad one, I admit, but it sounded good before this hangover passed, I promise :laugh: :toast:

They always seem to sound good before you post them for some reason. :toast:

i wonder how that compares to the 8350? out of the box power consumption for the 8350 was 189 watt for the full system. wonder how much that shoots up to while running at 5 GHZ?
My i5 will also hit 5 ghz, using the intel water cooler (effectively a rebranded antec 620)

Actually, by bit-techs numbers (they also ran an 8350 through its paces), it pulled (on their system) 213W running P95 stock and overclocked to 4.8GHz was 364W. That isn't 5GHz but you can use that to calculate what 5Ghz would theoretically be on that system or find someone who actually posted that info somewhere. Link: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7

Forum links aren't working with IE for WP8, something to know for anyone looking into WP8 for their next phone (could be temporary, bit still a problem since it's release? C'mon now).

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

heres a hint, turn off the computer or hit it with a hatchet while youre drunk or hung over, it will make you feel better :toast::cool:

I can't understand why all of the interest in this chips power usage. It's going to be more than a comparable Intel. It's likely gonna be a bit scarey. If that concerns anyone, then I advise they don't consider this CPU. :cool:

I find it interesting that they feel confident enough to release a commercially available chip at these clocks for 24/7 use. Is it reasonable to assume it will be "common" in the not too distant future? Intel seems to be content with their clock speeds and is focusing more on power figures. I think it could get interesting to see where this ends up.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I can't understand why all of the interest in this chips power usage. It's going to be more than a comparable Intel. It's likely gonna be a bit scarey. If that concerns anyone, then I advise they don't consider this CPU. :cool:

I find it interesting that they feel confident enough to release a commercially available chip at these clocks for 24/7 use. Is it reasonable to assume it will be "common" in the not too distant future? Intel seems to be content with their clock speeds and is focusing more on power figures. I think it could get interesting to see where this ends up.

I own a Bloomfield so power consumption clearly isnt my overiding priority!

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
This TDP is actually quite impressive if you compare it to the first gen bulldozer CPU's. My chip under load is pulling in excess of 25 Amps over the 12V CPU rail at 4,6Ghz-> 300 Watts for 4,6 GHz. Compare that to a MAX powerdraw of 220W at 4,7GHz on all cores and the TDP of these chips suddenly seems quite good.

What's the price on this 5GHz booster gonna be? Surely it can't be super $$$ like some posts threw around last month. (Just curious -- I'm working on an A8-5500 mini-itx openSUSE 12.3 build presently.)

I certainly hope it won't be priced like the FX's of old. In my opinion, they should release these at the same price-point they released all of their recent flagship parts so far ~$200USD (-$30 for underclocked unit).

This TDP is actually quite impressive if you compare it to the first gen bulldozer CPU's. My chip under load is pulling in excess of 25 Amps over the 12V CPU rail at 4,6Ghz-> 300 Watts for 4,6 GHz. Compare that to a MAX powerdraw of 220W at 4,7GHz on all cores and the TDP of these chips suddenly seems quite good.

Agreed, "if" the chip actually runs at the advertised TDP which AMD has lowballed before, but even if it does run at 220W+, that should be expected. It's still a PD core after all. It takes exponentially more power the further you clock beyond 4GHz. The maturing of a process can only do so much and with 8 physical cores, even if sharing resources, it is reasonable for it to use twice as much power than a 4 core part. Why it is being made out to be such a big deal (beyond MB requirements) by some, is somewhat silly to me.